Author Topic: #4 S&W  (Read 3389 times)

Offline boot strap jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
#4 S&W
« on: June 17, 2008, 05:09:47 AM »
Have one so I am told.  It is DA .32 looks like small #3. Has a hammer, but acts like a lemon squeezer action. If tring to shoot single action mode hammer drops. Was this gun designed to shoot single action also? Who is a good smith to work on one, and redo the nickle finish should I desire? If I can stop my teenagers long enough to show me how to post pics I will.
BSJ

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: #4 S&W
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 09:44:08 AM »
Without a photo - it's kinda hard to tell what you've got.

Smith & Wesson didn't make a 'double-action-only' revolver with a hammer spur - if it's got a hammer spur - then it was designed to shoot in both SA and DA modes - and to do so safely.

Sounds like your hammer notch is damaged or was 'modified' for a light let-off (though why anyone would do this is a mystery to me) - or the tip of the sear isn't mating well.

The saving grace is that S&W made a helluva lot of these revolvers - spare parts abound.

The first thing to do is to thoroughly clean it - making certain you have no build-up of hardened oil and dirt in tiny crevices.

Once you've done that - reassemble and try.

If you didn't fix the problem - then look to the replacement of parts.

Re-nickelling is often more than the price of the piece - try 'Simichrome' or 'Wenol' and polish it yourself to brighten old nickel and the associated 'dark' spots.

'Simichrome' or 'Wenol' won't eliminate them - but will give you the look of a well-cared-for piece.

I can't recommend anyone by name, as I do my own work, and have done so for some time, and I'm sure someone else can help you with that.

If you'd like - PM me with the serial number, and I'll at least be able to give you a date of manufacture.

Good Luck.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline boot strap jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 05:29:14 PM »
St. George, Ihad thought that was the case. I will tear into it a little more intently, When I had it opened before other than the crud I did not notice a problem. After I seen all the crud inside,I hoped the quick ceaning would do. I will strip the action tonight.
BSJ

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:54:54 AM »

Offline boot strap jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 08:42:07 PM »
I do believe the real title for this revolver is, S&W 32 DA #4 as in the 4th make of that series. I did open it up again, and after carefully studying the working of the gun, I spotted a small burr on the bottom of the hammer. Pulled the hammer and sure enough that was supposed to be the single action sear notch. At some time the bottom of the hammer had been radius-ed with a file almost removing the notch. I found the schematics for this handgun on Numrick arms site, the hammer shown looks like mine but has a definite sear notch on it. The hammer is out of stock right now, so I will have to hunt down my needle files and try to re cut the notch. I guess I have nothing to loose on this hammer the damage has been done. The gun shoots very well in double action mode. Oh after thought Numrick does have a barrel and cylinder in stock, I just may order them and redo the nickle plating on his gun. The original barrel has lost a lot of rifling over the years.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 11:46:56 PM »
A more thorough search on the 'net will yield many, many more spare parts.

I'll point out that the piece is serial numbered on the barrel and on the cylinder, and that it's already timed for the original cylinder.

Hand-polishing will surprise you with the overall 'look', and I'd try doing that before I spent any more money.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline boot strap jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 10:36:44 AM »
St. George you do have a point there that I had not thought of. I think this baby may sit til later in the fall or winter project.
Thanks BSJ

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com