Author Topic: Whats your leather bench look like??  (Read 38121 times)

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Whats your leather bench look like??
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2009, 12:11:53 PM »
Very nice man cave 10W!!
I have my reloading room out in the shop, while my leather bench is in the house in a spare bedroom/office. I do wish it was together tho in the same area, as much of it migrates back and forth.
DM
   Howdy Dalton.

You know where you live plays a big roll in where you have your work areas, I know where you are it must get colder than all get out in the winter, having a room in the house would be luxury but to say the least, but it allows you to keep working, my set up is great for me, but there are times in the Winter and Summer that I wish I had an extra room inside to get away from the cold or extreme heat, the last week here has been too hot to work in my shop, and air conditioning is too costly to even think about, so I try to work around the elements, I just had to learn how to play the weather game, but it's all good.

Thanks for the compliments Pard

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • New Life Church Website
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2009, 12:27:50 PM »
Wow, 10 Wolves, now that is a shop! I think the whole west coast had a heat wave last week. Weather in the high 90's is very rare in NW Oregon, so most of last week was a scorcher for us.

I mentioned to WC that I'm going to try to go to the Western 3 Gun Shoot in Piru in early August. He said Piru is about an hour away from his shop, so if I do make it down there, I'm planning on meeting WC in person. If you happen to be home that week, I'd sure like to meet you as well. I understand you don't live too far away from him.   

Have a great day, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2009, 12:41:50 PM »
10W, you are absolutely right on weather and temperature having a big part of this setup. In the summer, my reloading room is about 110-120 when its all shut up. I keep a fan going in there, and try to leave the door open to the breezeway between the house and the garage. That helps a bunch, but its still miserable until after 930 pm. I get lots of late night loading sessions in in the summer time.
By contrast, in the winter, I leave a little oil filled radiator heater out there, and it stays between 45-50 most of the time. There are a few times it gets a little colder, but not much. I insulated the loading room portion and it helped a lot too.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 09:24:29 AM »

Offline Preacher

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2009, 05:51:57 PM »
Howdy everybody. I am new to the site and saw this thread and just had to share. Its nice to see other work shops. I actually do boot and leather repair for a living. But when the repair slows down it seems like god  bringing me custom leather work more and more.It's actually nice to work with new material sometimes. So to accommodate the larger leather pieces I had a friend build me this new work bench. 8) :P SWEET! Can't wait to get it dirty.  It's 4'x6'x 40" with a chunk of granite that's 2'x4'. I just got it put in the shop and have not found a cutting or pounding mat to cover the rest of the table.I'll post some pic of my work in the appropriate thread.  have a lot of ? to ask but all in time. Thanks for looking, Preacher
I don't know what's out there beyond those hills but if you ride yonder, head up, eyes steady, heart open...well, I think one day you'll find you're the hero you've been looking for. (Jimmy Stewart, Fievel goes west)

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2009, 06:09:57 PM »
Howdy Preacher

Welcome to the Leather Shop Forum, we're happy to have you join in with us, your shop looks great, and I really like your new bench, the one I had was free standing until I put a back shelve on it, now when I want to cut any large pieces I have a folding table I use for that, and then it's put away, we'll be looking forward to seeing more from you.

Make yourself at home Pard

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »
Wow, 10 Wolves, now that is a shop! I think the whole west coast had a heat wave last week. Weather in the high 90's is very rare in NW Oregon, so most of last week was a scorcher for us.

I mentioned to WC that I'm going to try to go to the Western 3 Gun Shoot in Piru in early August. He said Piru is about an hour away from his shop, so if I do make it down there, I'm planning on meeting WC in person. If you happen to be home that week, I'd sure like to meet you as well. I understand you don't live too far away from him.   

Have a great day, JD
         Howdy JD

Well I guess we're all cooking in this heat right now, I always thought of Oregon as being cool most of the time, but then our family in Idaho has some hot weather too.
       By all means tell WC to give me a call when you're down here, I'm only ten minutes away, I'll look forward to it.

Well Dalton

I guess we all have to fight the weather in our own way, the best part is, is that we can do it.

Enjoy your week Pards

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2009, 09:30:39 PM »
Veri nice work spaces, pards. One of these days, I'll get to building a better bench. I have the materials, I just need the room to put it together. Thanks for all the pics.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2009, 10:13:34 PM »
Marshall,

Isn't that always the way ... the constant search for space.

I like to maim wood into simple furniture ... and if one was going to do a shop 'right', one would need 8' in front and back of, and to each side of the blade ... just to cut a sheet of plywood. Sometimes I have to cut it in half crooked with a circular saw, then make it parallel with the table saw and just accept that 1" loss of the width or length ....

Right now I need to plane and join some wood before glue up in order to get a 12" deep box on a gun cart, and I don't own either machine because I have no place to store it .... So, I have to go plead to one of those people with the 30' by 20' shops who DO have the space and own the two tools.

And a clean, dry place for varnishing? Fuggetaboutit!

... And no one can claim that this shop was cleaned up before the pics!
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2009, 10:16:15 PM »
And now I have to go clean guns in my leather/gun/wood/lawn working shop.

Nite Y'all.
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Online Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2009, 11:14:36 PM »
Howdy Everyone,

Wow! I gotta say I'm really impressed. There are lots of outstanding workshops out there. Thank you for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2009, 12:53:45 AM »
John,

I can't speak for anyone else, but my shop was built at the cost of a marriage.

Long before I was married, I worked overtime so that when a vacation came, I took no PTO.

So when I retired, they owed me over 450 hours of Paid Time Off.

I think it was the beginning of the end when I went down with that check and traded it for a brand new Unisaw with all the trimmings ... LOL

It made sense to me; I had been planning to do that for years. But she saw (no pun intended) it as unbridled irresponsibility ... maybe it was in retrospect.

So I salute the men here who share their space with the laundry and such ... their Christmases and holidays must be much more full of joy.

Me, on Christmas Day I get up and take off the tags of the presents I bought me and go turn on my tablesaw ...

In fact, I am hoping 'Santa' (me) might have a lightly used Spencer sitting underneath the tree ...

Or maybe a Sharps ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2009, 08:50:27 AM »
Well WWE, you sure bring up a sobering point. As a pastor, I've heard many sad stories about marriages breaking up over all sorts of things. If it doesn't involve infidelity, then it's usually a build up of things that seem small at the time, but lead to an eventual disolving of the relationship. One of my shooting Pards had his wife leave after 41 years of marriage. It's been three years since it happened, and he's still messed up about it, 'cause he didn't want it to happen.

My 32 years of marriage has come with lots of compromises on both sides, and it hasn't been easy. Heck, I not only share the laundry room, I do the laundry from time to time! Buit then she was out helping me get set up to stain a new gun cart last night, so it works both ways.  JD 

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2009, 06:35:26 PM »
NIGHTMARE ON OYSTER HOUSE ROAD chapters 1 and 2!  Its hard to look at it from the outside and imagine the horrors that await within.

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2009, 06:39:11 PM »
And last but not least, The Yellow Terror That Lies Within.  Never paint yore walls yeller my friends, even if the paint is free!!!! 

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2009, 07:55:28 PM »
Slowhand, I want you to know that I wouldn't do this for just anybody but for you I will.

Just send me one a them sewing machines and that rack of leather scraps and you will have achieved the ultimate. An uncluttered workshop. And if I can be of help with anything else that is in your way, you just let me know ;) ;D 8)
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2009, 11:23:05 PM »
Dang Bob,  that's right cheery lookin!! :o :D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2009, 11:32:24 PM »
Well shoot, Bob, how do get anything done with such a lack of tools? Now I see why you make such great stuff, By the collection of equipment you've amassed, you've been doing this awhile. Your holsters show it as well as your shop. Thanks for sharing the pictures, JD  

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2009, 12:31:10 AM »
Nice workshace, Bob. I keep thinking about how to make a decent shop, but my property just isn't level enough.

My wife would love to have the 3rd bedroom and garage back. I don't think there will be too much conflict there when the time comes. ;D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2009, 08:36:14 AM »
Takes longer to make a spot than it does a project!  White ceiling and canary yeller walls, well I see yeller fer ten minutes after leaving it.  It got trashed about three years ago, during some home remodeling, and I just aint been brave enuff to try and face the clean up. 

Butcher, I have not bought leather in several years now and at the rate of my current consumption, I may be good for life!!!!  Some of that stuff has actually been going on Ebay fer a spell now and more will continue to be sold.  Though I never use the Tippmann anymore I am very wishy-washy on it.  From some comments I have seen people make, mine must have been the best one they turned out.  It is the easiest machine I've had for sewing bullet loops pr extreme slow stitching in extra heavy leather.

Getting off topic, but we do all need to get together someday for a shop clean up party.  ;D 

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2009, 12:27:52 PM »
I am in the process of designing a new space.   I have my space in the garage, but it gets too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer and those are the only two seasons we seem to have any more!   Either way, bounced the idea off my wife and she said the basement's yours, provided you clean out the garbage we have carted around for 20 years.   Every good thing comes at a price, but she has already book marked three different work surfaces for me to look at.  She must really want that basement cleaned.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com