Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 04:00:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Leather Shop (Moderators: Marshal Will Wingam, Ten Wolves Fiveshooter)  |  Topic: Whats your leather bench look like?? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Whats your leather bench look like??  (Read 9838 times)
JD Alan
Pistol Packin Parson
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2009, 08:36:00 am »

Seems to me like you got a fine looking shop there. Lots of good tools, and you obviously know how to use them.

We got a fella that shoots with us who buys all sorts of tools, but they sit in his garage, in the boxes they came in. He's got lots of money, but no knowledge of tools. I've asked him if he would adopt me, but he's only two years older than me, and doesn't think it would work out, seeing as we are both grandpas.

Darn it! JD

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.
Gun Butcher
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2009, 10:02:49 pm »

Aw heck JD being a grandpa is mostly just a state of mind. I am grandpa to about two thirds of the kids in the neighborhood. At least when they need something fixed Wink.
  Great looking shops guys. Johnnie I am thinking that the pic was took 'before' your first project and it will never be that clean again, right Roll Eyes

Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
Dalton Masterson
Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2009, 10:37:03 pm »

Well guys, its been awhile since I started this post, and my bench has changed since then. Here is the newest incarnation, which has been this way about a year.
Its the same drafting table, but the shelving on the back was added when someone decided to throw it away. Made a LOT more room for stuff, including some of my watches, and the top even has some hats and other things on top of it.
Everything else is pretty much the same, just rearranged.
I also straightened the top of it up today, but the clutter is from this afternoons projects.

DM

* IMG_0546 (Medium).JPG (111.5 KB, 800x600 - viewed 473 times.)

SASS #51139L
Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
http://www.freewebs.com/daltonmasterson/
www.runniron.com
Plum Creek Leatherworks on Facebook
Johnny McCrae
Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

The older the violin, the sweeter the music

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2009, 07:06:54 am »

That's true enough GB. The pictures were taken right after finishing it. I've started a few projects and it will never look the same.

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty gentleman like myself
Ned Buckshot
Top Active Citizen

Ned at Silverado, NM

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2009, 09:09:20 am »

Here's a picture of my main work area. It's used for everything from leather to knife making to custom cabinetry.

Ned

* Shop Table.jpg (107.02 KB, 800x600 - viewed 100 times.)

Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS
JD Alan
Pistol Packin Parson
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2009, 09:54:17 am »

I'm blessed to have a 12X15 room that doubles as a laundry room and shop. The cabinets and draws were here when we moved in. It's an old place, with this shop attached to a single car garage. The garage has cabinets and benches too, so I have room for a drill press and grinder in there.

To the right of the washer/dryer is a deep sink, which is very handy. I have enough room for my safe and a rack of motorcycle stuff, hiden behind the flag.

I have a better shop than I am a leather worker, so I have room to grow, so to speak. I also have room to bring out the reloading equipment. The antler in the foreground is being shipped to Ned Buckshot for a handle on the knife he is making me. 

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Live To Fight Another Day

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2009, 10:47:28 am »

Howdy Gents

Will Dalton and JD, you both have nice work areas, and have made nice improvements, there is nothing nicer than having a well organized work bench, where you know where everything is, and easy access to all of it, Well done pards.

I never posted my improvements to my shop, so I guess this is as good a time as any, I made a new reloading bench to free up my leather bench which shared my reloading press, I added a shelve to my leather bench which has proved real handy for storing supplies, and having a reloading only bench is really working for me. Here are some pictures of my shop.

Best Rgards

tEN wOLVES  Wink Cheesy Grin

* My Work Shop Man Cave 008 - Copy (2).JPG (84.94 KB, 640x480 - viewed 100 times.)

* My Work Shop Man Cave 011 - Copy.JPG (78.65 KB, 640x480 - viewed 94 times.)

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About
Ten Wolves Fiveshooter
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2009, 10:51:07 am »

MORE PICTURES

* My Work Shop Man Cave 022.JPG (83.26 KB, 640x480 - viewed 96 times.)

* My Work Shop Man Cave 023 - Copy.JPG (83.12 KB, 640x480 - viewed 74 times.)

* Hornady Lock & Load AP & Loading Beanch 001.JPG (55.66 KB, 640x480 - viewed 75 times.)

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About
Ten Wolves Fiveshooter
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2009, 10:56:07 am »

A FEW MORE

* My Work Shop Man Cave 009.JPG (84.66 KB, 640x480 - viewed 76 times.)

* My Work Shop Man Cave 012 - Copy.JPG (80.9 KB, 640x480 - viewed 68 times.)

* My Work Shop Man Cave 010.JPG (79.98 KB, 640x480 - viewed 94 times.)

Dalton Masterson
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2009, 11:50:28 am »

Very nice man cave 10W!!
I have my reloading room out in the shop, while my leather bench is in the house in a spare bedroom/office. I do wish it was together tho in the same area, as much of it migrates back and forth.
DM

SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com
Ten Wolves Fiveshooter
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2009, 12:11:53 pm »

Very nice man cave 10W!!
I have my reloading room out in the shop, while my leather bench is in the house in a spare bedroom/office. I do wish it was together tho in the same area, as much of it migrates back and forth.
DM
   Howdy Dalton.

You know where you live plays a big roll in where you have your work areas, I know where you are it must get colder than all get out in the winter, having a room in the house would be luxury but to say the least, but it allows you to keep working, my set up is great for me, but there are times in the Winter and Summer that I wish I had an extra room inside to get away from the cold or extreme heat, the last week here has been too hot to work in my shop, and air conditioning is too costly to even think about, so I try to work around the elements, I just had to learn how to play the weather game, but it's all good.

Thanks for the compliments Pard

Regards

tEN wOLVES  Wink Grin

JD Alan
Pistol Packin Parson
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2009, 12:27:50 pm »

Wow, 10 Wolves, now that is a shop! I think the whole west coast had a heat wave last week. Weather in the high 90's is very rare in NW Oregon, so most of last week was a scorcher for us.

I mentioned to WC that I'm going to try to go to the Western 3 Gun Shoot in Piru in early August. He said Piru is about an hour away from his shop, so if I do make it down there, I'm planning on meeting WC in person. If you happen to be home that week, I'd sure like to meet you as well. I understand you don't live too far away from him.   

Have a great day, JD

Dalton Masterson
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2009, 12:41:50 pm »

10W, you are absolutely right on weather and temperature having a big part of this setup. In the summer, my reloading room is about 110-120 when its all shut up. I keep a fan going in there, and try to leave the door open to the breezeway between the house and the garage. That helps a bunch, but its still miserable until after 930 pm. I get lots of late night loading sessions in in the summer time.
By contrast, in the winter, I leave a little oil filled radiator heater out there, and it stays between 45-50 most of the time. There are a few times it gets a little colder, but not much. I insulated the loading room portion and it helped a lot too.
DM

SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com
Preacher
Citizen

« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2009, 05:51:57 pm »

Howdy everybody. I am new to the site and saw this thread and just had to share. Its nice to see other work shops. I actually do boot and leather repair for a living. But when the repair slows down it seems like god  bringing me custom leather work more and more.It's actually nice to work with new material sometimes. So to accommodate the larger leather pieces I had a friend build me this new work bench. Cool Tongue SWEET! Can't wait to get it dirty.  It's 4'x6'x 40" with a chunk of granite that's 2'x4'. I just got it put in the shop and have not found a cutting or pounding mat to cover the rest of the table.I'll post some pic of my work in the appropriate thread.  have a lot of ? to ask but all in time. Thanks for looking, Preacher

* Leather 001 (WinCE).jpg (15.72 KB, 240x180 - viewed 88 times.)

* Leather 003 (WinCE).jpg (13.45 KB, 240x180 - viewed 78 times.)

* Leather 004 (WinCE).jpg (14.99 KB, 240x180 - viewed 109 times.)

I don't know what's out there beyond those hills but if you ride yonder, head up, eyes steady, heart open...well, I think one day you'll find you're the hero you've been looking for. (Jimmy Stewart, Fievel goes west)
Ten Wolves Fiveshooter
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2009, 06:09:57 pm »

Howdy Preacher

Welcome to the Leather Shop Forum, we're happy to have you join in with us, your shop looks great, and I really like your new bench, the one I had was free standing until I put a back shelve on it, now when I want to cut any large pieces I have a folding table I use for that, and then it's put away, we'll be looking forward to seeing more from you.

Make yourself at home Pard

Regards

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2009, 06:19:00 pm »

Wow, 10 Wolves, now that is a shop! I think the whole west coast had a heat wave last week. Weather in the high 90's is very rare in NW Oregon, so most of last week was a scorcher for us.

I mentioned to WC that I'm going to try to go to the Western 3 Gun Shoot in Piru in early August. He said Piru is about an hour away from his shop, so if I do make it down there, I'm planning on meeting WC in person. If you happen to be home that week, I'd sure like to meet you as well. I understand you don't live too far away from him.   

Have a great day, JD
         Howdy JD

Well I guess we're all cooking in this heat right now, I always thought of Oregon as being cool most of the time, but then our family in Idaho has some hot weather too.
       By all means tell WC to give me a call when you're down here, I'm only ten minutes away, I'll look forward to it.

Well Dalton

I guess we all have to fight the weather in our own way, the best part is, is that we can do it.

Enjoy your week Pards

Regards

Marshal Will Wingam
Garden Variety
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2009, 09:30:39 pm »

Veri nice work spaces, pards. One of these days, I'll get to building a better bench. I have the materials, I just need the room to put it together. Thanks for all the pics.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR
WaddWatsonEllis
Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....

« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2009, 10:13:34 pm »

Marshall,

Isn't that always the way ... the constant search for space.

I like to maim wood into simple furniture ... and if one was going to do a shop 'right', one would need 8' in front and back of, and to each side of the blade ... just to cut a sheet of plywood. Sometimes I have to cut it in half crooked with a circular saw, then make it parallel with the table saw and just accept that 1" loss of the width or length ....

Right now I need to plane and join some wood before glue up in order to get a 12" deep box on a gun cart, and I don't own either machine because I have no place to store it .... So, I have to go plead to one of those people with the 30' by 20' shops who DO have the space and own the two tools.

And a clean, dry place for varnishing? Fuggetaboutit!

... And no one can claim that this shop was cleaned up before the pics!

* Skip's Shop.jpg (18.95 KB, 360x270 - viewed 71 times.)

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403
WaddWatsonEllis
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2009, 10:16:15 pm »

And now I have to go clean guns in my leather/gun/wood/lawn working shop.

Nite Y'all.

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403
Johnny McCrae
Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

The older the violin, the sweeter the music

« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2009, 11:14:36 pm »

Howdy Everyone,

Wow! I gotta say I'm really impressed. There are lots of outstanding workshops out there. Thank you for sharing this with us.

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty gentleman like myself
WaddWatsonEllis
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2009, 12:53:45 am »

John,

I can't speak for anyone else, but my shop was built at the cost of a marriage.

Long before I was married, I worked overtime so that when a vacation came, I took no PTO.

So when I retired, they owed me over 450 hours of Paid Time Off.

I think it was the beginning of the end when I went down with that check and traded it for a brand new Unisaw with all the trimmings ... LOL

It made sense to me; I had been planning to do that for years. But she saw (no pun intended) it as unbridled irresponsibility ... maybe it was in retrospect.

So I salute the men here who share their space with the laundry and such ... their Christmases and holidays must be much more full of joy.

Me, on Christmas Day I get up and take off the tags of the presents I bought me and go turn on my tablesaw ...

In fact, I am hoping 'Santa' (me) might have a lightly used Spencer sitting underneath the tree ...

Or maybe a Sharps ....

NCOWS #3403
JD Alan
Pistol Packin Parson
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2009, 08:50:27 am »

Well WWE, you sure bring up a sobering point. As a pastor, I've heard many sad stories about marriages breaking up over all sorts of things. If it doesn't involve infidelity, then it's usually a build up of things that seem small at the time, but lead to an eventual disolving of the relationship. One of my shooting Pards had his wife leave after 41 years of marriage. It's been three years since it happened, and he's still messed up about it, 'cause he didn't want it to happen.

My 32 years of marriage has come with lots of compromises on both sides, and it hasn't been easy. Heck, I not only share the laundry room, I do the laundry from time to time! Buit then she was out helping me get set up to stain a new gun cart last night, so it works both ways.  JD 

Slowhand Bob
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2009, 06:35:26 pm »

NIGHTMARE ON OYSTER HOUSE ROAD chapters 1 and 2!  Its hard to look at it from the outside and imagine the horrors that await within.

* shop1.jpg (77.95 KB, 640x425 - viewed 79 times.)

* shop4.jpg (132.83 KB, 640x751 - viewed 127 times.)
Slowhand Bob
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2009, 06:39:11 pm »

And last but not least, The Yellow Terror That Lies Within.  Never paint yore walls yeller my friends, even if the paint is free!!!! 

* shop2.jpg (70.68 KB, 640x425 - viewed 122 times.)

* shop3.jpg (85.84 KB, 640x425 - viewed 107 times.)
Gun Butcher
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2009, 07:55:28 pm »

Slowhand, I want you to know that I wouldn't do this for just anybody but for you I will.

Just send me one a them sewing machines and that rack of leather scraps and you will have achieved the ultimate. An uncluttered workshop. And if I can be of help with anything else that is in your way, you just let me know Wink Grin Cool

Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Leather Shop (Moderators: Marshal Will Wingam, Ten Wolves Fiveshooter)  |  Topic: Whats your leather bench look like?? « previous next »
Jump to: