Author Topic: typical newbie post...  (Read 4152 times)

Offline tarheel mac

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Number 69437 WARTHOG!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
typical newbie post...
« on: January 08, 2005, 08:38:30 AM »
okay pards, I've been a reenactor for a long time, but just now getting interested in Action Shooting.   I have laid away a used EMF Premier...What do you guys think of this smokeiron?  I had one years ago, and like it a lot, and it fits my hand rel well...

so I am kinda wondering, if you can start shooting one revolver shy....if you are willing to take the hit on time while reloading....or do you really have to have two pistols?

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: typical newbie post...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 09:24:48 AM »

Howdy tarheel mac and welcome to town and to a fun sport.

Most clubs run shooting scenarios with 2 revolvers, but don't let that keep you from getting started. Contact the nearest club and show up with what you got. In the beginning, there will always be someone who will provide you with a second revolver.
As a matter of fact, the best advise we can give, is to show up "naked", gunwise that is, and try out different models to determine what you want to buy and use.

When I started up, I had only 1 revolver, an old shotgun and no rifle. A year later, I had all I needed to fully participate using my own guns. BUT.... that first year with 1 revolver and the shotgun was a lot of fun.

Don't hesitate, pard. Get out there with your EMF, have fun and let us all know how things are going for you.
Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 08:18:33 PM »
Howdy, Mac. I've shot with just one pistol to find out what the experience is like. It costs you some time but it's a lot of fun anyway. Just go and have fun. Pick up what you want or need later on. Heck, when you first start, you will need a few matches just to get into the techniques, anyway. Marshal H has the right idea. Shoot a bunch of different irons before laying down your money. I was lucky and got some pistols that I've liked for 3 or 4 years, but I'm now in the process of changing over to a different kind. I've changed shotguns like dirty socks trying to find a good one. Rifle, save up and get a good one to begin with. I started with a Rossi Model 92 and have changed to a Uberti model '73 cause the '92 couldn't keep up with my skill level.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:47:06 PM »

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 04:41:26 AM »
Howdy pard and welcome..

If you bring a gunbelt that fits you, you will probably get to try out every gun under the sun.  The willingness, even pushiness ;) of CAS folks for you to use our guns is legendary and wonderful.

It would be better to try the two gun approach as a beginner, unless the club you are visiting does one gun classes regularly.  Reloading on the clock for CAS is a bit advanced, in terms of gun handling.  Once the club knows that you can handle your guns without breaking the 170 rule, then you can probably go to one pistol.

Adios,

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 11:16:20 AM »
Hey, Hext, is that why everyone was duckin' and runnin' when I reloaded? :D :D :D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com