Author Topic: Problem with blanks, Need Help Please!!!  (Read 2710 times)

12 th Illinois

Problem with blanks, Need Help Please!!!
« on: May 30, 2008, 08:29:21 PM »
 I recently purchased a 45 Schofield Spencer for reenacting. I'm having trouble getting blanks to cycle. The 45 Schofield case will not cycle at all. I aquired a few 44 mag. cases. They cycle, but will not chamber. It looks like they are not being lifted high enough for them to enter the chamber. Is their any adjustments that can be made, or does anyone have any ideas? My next reenactment is June 7 & 8 and I would love to be able to use it there. Any help appreciated. Thanks,  12th Illinois ??? ??? ???

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Problem with blanks, Need Help Please!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 09:00:37 PM »
Hi 12th Illinois,

Try this link for starters on blanks for .45 Schofield Spencer.  Two Flints

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,11109.0.html

or this one:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,3299.0.html

On page one at the top left in the search box, just type Spencer blanks and click on search and you will get a number of threads dealing with Spencer blanks.  The two above came from this search, there could be more.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Steel-eye Steve

• Very Active Citizen
    • 1st Wisconsin Cavalry
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
www.1stwisconsincav.org

"We'll hang Jeff Davis from a sour apple tree."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:46:51 AM »

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Problem with blanks, I have the cure
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 09:39:42 PM »
To All
Here is the fix I found for the 45 Schofield.  Two years ago I was using my 44 Russian Spencer for reenacting (I now use a 44-40).  At a reenactment I met up with a guy using a 45 Schofield.  We got to talking and he was using his gun as a single loader as he was not able to get his blanks to cycle.  I suggested that we try the 44 Magnum shells that I was using.  Well they worked great, they cycled, chambered and ejected fine.  He purchased a quantity from me and used them for the reenactment.  The following year I met up with him again and he was still using the 44 Magnum brass and according to him they were working great.  So if you have a 45 Schofield Spencer and you want to shoot blanks then you can use 44 magnum brass.  The only unusual thing you have to do to the brass is once you have a star crimp on the end you then have to use a shoulder forming die to simulate a bullet on the end of the case.  Once you do that they will chamber fine.
Terry
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

12 th Illinois

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 09:03:26 PM »
 ;D
I got ahold of some 5-in-1 brass and after loading them and running them through a shoulder forming die and a star crimper they cycle just fine. I will try them out at a reenactment this weekend!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com