Author Topic: Another dumb question Is neatsfoot oil bad?  (Read 13317 times)

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Another dumb question Is neatsfoot oil bad?
« on: May 21, 2008, 11:23:35 AM »
I have heard both ways, so I would like to know is neats foot oil harmfull to the holster and belts we make?
What about saddle soap, when i was hunting I allways used saddle soap on my boots, is it harm full!
Just trying to find out whats good and whats bad to use on veg tanned leather? If I don't ask you guys i don't know how to find out, know one around here does this type of work, so i can't go ask them.
I will be great full for any and all advice! :) :)
Thanks ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
Re: Another dumb question Is neatsfoot oil bad?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 11:32:26 AM »
Howdy, Pard,
Neatsfoot oil was/is intended to prevent cracking in the hooves of horses and cows.  But those are living tissue, which re-grows itself.  But neatsfoot oil by itself attacks the fibers of tanned leather, and eventually will destroy it!  There are a number of preparations that don't do that.  I have been using Lexol(R) Leather Conditioner on holsters and belts for over thirty years.  LIGHT applications, either spread on with a soft cloth or sprayed on (from a pump bottle they sell with it) and the excess wiped off will keep the leather moistened, but not damage the leather.  BUT YOU CAN OVERDO IT!  LESS IS BETTER!

Saddle soap should only be used to clean VERY dirty leather.  Fiebing's glycerine saddle soap, applied by rubbing a damp cloth on the soap bar and then applying it to the leather, followed by wiping it off, allowing the leather to dry, and then applying the Lexol Leather Conditoner is the best treatment I know.

Hope this helps, Pard!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »
I'll second Trailrider.

I never intentionally use neatsfoot. (Unless they sneak it in to some dressing and don't post it on the label).
I prefer Ko-Cho-Line leather dressing and occasionally use Saddle Butter, but have used several others.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:45:58 PM »

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 11:14:12 AM »
Howdy Gents

This is a good subject, is there a chance that Neatsfoot oil is not represented well in the Industry, what I mean is there are several products that have Neatsfoot in them, I know for a fact that Alfonso Penada used Neatsfoot oil, I have several of his rigs that are over 40 years old, and the're beautiful, and I know John Bianchi uses a lot of Neatsfoot oil in the finishing of his leather, and his holsters and gun belts are also still beautiful after some 40 years of use, CowboyWC uses it with excellent results , but my understanding is they just use 100% pure Neatsfoot Oil, mybe thats the difference between working well and not.  ??? ( IMHO )

tEN wOLVES  :D ;) ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline outrider

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 12:17:38 PM »
Ten wolves...do a search on neatsfoot oil and go into the Wikipedia site..it explains the difference between the pure oil versus the mixtures.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 01:51:19 PM »
Howdy Outrider

Thanks for the web site, it sure explanes Neatsfoot oil , and the uses for it along with the different mixtures of Neatsfoot oil, good and bad, thanks for sharing. ;) :D 8)            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neatsfoot_oil

tEN wOLVES  :D ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 06:17:49 PM »
outrider and TW, I thank you, I went to the link ad read it, so now the wheels are turning! I have a friend that runs a meat locker, and i am going to save me the fat off of the low part of the calves he processes, I will keep it frozen untill I get enough to render down to the oil stage, strain off the oil and add 50 percent bees wax, and see what I come up with for the top coat inside the holster were I have used my home made GT, I will try it on scrap first to see how it works!
What are you pards thoughts?

I would be very great full for any and all advice! i buy my bees wax on the SASS forum cheap! Please let me know your thoughts, that is what makes this the greatest place in the world to be, if you are a leather worker :) :) :) :) :)

Later
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 10:48:49 PM »
The line seems to have been drawn very thin on this subject with little middle ground.  Either it was created by God or Satan, depending on the expert of the moment.  One thing I would bet a donut on is that there are museum pieces around that predate any of us here by at least a hundred years after having neatsfoot oil rubbed in.  They have not rusted, turned to dust or melted and the old thread is more or less still intact at a ratio equivalent to other like pieces which used a different finish.  I will not use the names of makers or companies that use neatsfoot oil in their leatherworking buisinesses but sufice it to say that some are among the biggest and best known makers in the world today.  The stigma of unfounded opinion has probably caused more small buisiness leather craftsmen to abandon or not admit to the use of neatsfoot oil than any leather damage ever caused will.   We all tend to elevate that wich we use and tear down that which we do not, to justify our choice, as a common characteristic, just go to the Wire and ask which is best gun and watch the sparks fly, many will bad mouth products they have never even touched.  No matter which product you settle on there is a secret, measure out half of what you think you need and then use less than half of that.  Neatsfoot oil is probably the most sold dressing world wide and for this reason it probably ranks at the top of the list as the most abused.  Over soak your leather in any of the magic dressings and you will ruin it, thats a guarantee! 

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 12:05:23 AM »
I think Slowhand Bob nailed it on the head.
"Over soak your leather in any of the magic dressings and you will ruin it"

I think the majority of problems with any kind of oil is the overuse of it. Sure there are many different opinions on which kind, but it has been proven over time that many kinds of oil will last for a looong time.
I think that we should teach and strive to learn more about proper techniques in the finishing and preserving process.

I just sold a set of Cheyenne holsters to a gentleman, and the first thing he wanted to do was slather them in neatsfoot oil. I know I only used Skidmores, but after it leaves my hands, its anyones guess what will end up on them. We need to educate the buyer/end users on the proper way to apply oils.
DM (who uses olive oil, but has a bottle of neatsfoot on his bench)

PS. I wonder how all those little neats get around with no feet??? ::)
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 08:16:01 PM »
I want to thank each and everyone of you pards that have jumped in here and stated there opion, on what to use and what not to use and or the amount! And we all agree on one thing, don't over do it!! As in everything I have ever done, I want to run, before I can walk! After I did a lot of research and heard Chuck Burrows mention in his new DVD about GT but the type he was using wasn't the eatable type, he didn't think that if you got some in your mouth it wouldn't hurt you (that is not a direct quoate) but he mention than in some manner. So that is what got me on the hot seat to figure out what it took to make GT, one place led to another place and then, all I had to due was weed out some details and BINGO! But after watching CB DVD over and over, and after long talks with TW. I havn't figure out how a oil base finish can get threw a water based coating and sink in and seal it off!  ???GT just slick's down the flesh part of the hide so you can burnish it smooth! 8), so untill I figure out what is what I prefer or will work as good as the products that are for sale, i belive I will buy, some Tan Kote For the inside and some Lexiol for the out side finish. I will still play with making my own finish on some scrap and test it for any signs of craking, mildew, ect. Although I am not ever going to make a buiness out of the leather work, I would like to get good enough to sell some rigs, ect. only on special order and only just enought to pay for my playing! :o
 As I have stated before, and I stick to my guns, you Pards are the Best of the Best in my Eyes :) :)

Thanks,
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline santee

• Keeping the Spirit of the Old West Alive
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The business end of a sixgun earns no interest.
    • Arizona Ghostriders
  • SASS #: 2171
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 07:20:35 AM »

PS. I wonder how all those little neats get around with no feet??? ::)
:D Neat little wheelchairs?
Historian at Old Tucson Studios
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 09:28:12 AM »

;D :D ;D ;D :D ??? ;D :D :) ;D :-\ ::) :o  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 09:02:35 PM »

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Online Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 09:06:42 PM »

I thought they were carried aound by a bunch of those hideless Naughas.  ::) ::) ::)
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com