Author Topic: back to the past  (Read 5616 times)

Offline boot strap jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
back to the past
« on: May 19, 2008, 10:38:50 PM »
well dug out the old cast iron, did a pork butt for a party. went over well, the ladies wanted the reciepe. 10# pork butt, roast 350* for 3 1/2 hours or til falls off bone. Shread and bbq sauce. Eat! Yep the dutch oven had been in storage for ten years, a little dusty but no rust. did a fine job. My first wife hated cast iron, so my iron slowly retired to the never world. The wife I have now likes her nonstick pans. Today I cooked bacon and eggs in my skillet, later she used it and was surprized that eggs did not stick. Now I need to find the rest of my iron pans.
BSJ

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: back to the past
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 07:26:53 AM »
Way to go pard.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline boot strap jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 07:37:34 PM »
Dug out the camp ovens today. Made beef stew in 14 qt, corn bread in the 12 qt, pineapple upside down cake in 10 qt. The wife was inpressed, and they did turn out ok.
BSJ

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:49:58 AM »

Offline oscar

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 09:48:36 PM »
Am I glad to hear that, I had a fun talk with the wife this AM we were at the Fort looking at cast iron with Delmonico. We have a non stick skillet that really is starting to go bad and the wife has now been around enough cast to see it's benny's So I askwed that when the current system fauils miserably we invest in a 13" cast iron skillet. I think she will love it and I know i already do. I have been cooking on this stuff outside for 30 years. Don't know what's wrong with me not bringing it inside on the electric stove top. I will be real soon. Teflon is cool but dosen't last a life time or three.

opscar,
Oscar

Offline boot strap jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 08:05:54 PM »
Yea my wife is using my skillets more and more. she pointed out the other day that my 10" skillet has a crack in it. Later we were in town, and she points out some of the new lodge preseasoned irons. the price was not all that bad. I will have to start picking up some extra pieces soon.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 10:19:25 AM »
I got my wife converted years ago, the only thing we have non-cast iron are a couple large stainless steel stock pans, a 'nemalware tea kettle and a few glass baking dishes which she uses more than me. ;)

We got rid of the 'lectric stove, went to gas.  Lodge doesn't make sauce pans, but she got me some from Finger Hut, they have wooden handles.  Even have cast iron loaf pans, but Lodge quit making them a couple of years ago, they told me they'd bring them back if there is a demand. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 04:13:29 PM »
I've got a cast iron griddle that I put on my gas grill to cook breakfast on the patio during the winter. I've also got an outdoor fireplace that I "fire up" to stay warm.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Wishbone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 07:04:08 PM »
 ;D Camp Chef has come out with a whole new line of cast iron cook ware. Loaf pans,muffin pans and several others items. Check them out at www.campchef.com  I cant remember what the line is called but over on DO Cooking groups they all like them well. Wishbone-ks

Offline Wishbone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 07:47:37 PM »
Looked it up and its called "Cabin Kitchen Cookware"   by Camp Chef. Wishbone

Offline Top Kick Ken

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oscar S. Johnson, GAR, My Great Grandfather.
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 04:47:27 PM »
Was in my local Sport Chaleet the other day just wandering about the store and I noticed they had a pretty good selection of cast iron cookin pots, dutch oven, and griddles...I don't know how much the stuff cost...but it was surprising to me that they even stocked that kind of thing.  (they went up a notch in my book for that alone)
Respectfully Submitted,

Top Kick Ken
Sergeant Major, Department of the Pacific
Grand Army of the Frontier

GAF #71
BOLD #943
SASS #47880L

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com