Author Topic: Newbie here, How to identify a real 1858?  (Read 4307 times)

Offline sheikss

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Newbie here, How to identify a real 1858?
« on: May 03, 2008, 02:05:18 PM »
Went to a gun store and saw a 1858 remi that they claimed was an original. The gunis in remarkable shape which makes me question it's authenticity. What are some things to look for to ensure it's not a reproduction? I've tried google and came up empty. Thanks

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
    • The Desperate Hot Springs News
  • Liked:
Re: Newbie here, How to identify a real 1858?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
There's folks around here far more expurt on originals than I am, . . . so I'll let them answer your question.  But I'm curious about the price they are askin' ? . . . Buying one or more original '58s is on my shopping list but there's a few other items ahead of them.  I'll be watching this thread to learn all I can.  Good shootin', . . .  :)

ps.  Ya might have a look around the internet at the originals offered by legitimate antique and collectable dealers to see the conditions and prices that are typical.  I keep looking at all that come up for reference re condition and pricing.  I'm looking to spend  around  $ 1,200 or so for a pretty decent one.  Really nice ones easily go to twice that or higher.
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 08:57:53 PM »
First of all, on a New Model Navy, the barrel top flat is stamped:  "PATENTED DEC. 17, 1861. MANUFACTURED BY REMINGTON'S, ILION, N.Y."

A New Model Army will have: "PATENTED SEPT. 14, 1858, E. REMINGTON & SONS, ILION, N.Y., U.S.A. NEW MODEL"

A Beals will have the markings: "BEALS PATENT, SEPT. 14, 1858.  MANUFACTURED BY REMINGTON, ILION, N.Y."

If there are no barrel markings, it has been filed off and refinished, and may or may not be original.  There should be no reference to "Black Powder Only" or such markings, as the originals didn't need such a warning.  There should be no proof marks as seen on Italian guns, and the serial number should appear on the bottom barrel flat and the side of the grip frame, under the wood.  Nowhere else.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:04:57 AM »

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
    • The Desperate Hot Springs News
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 09:07:41 PM »
Flint, . . thanks fur postin'.  Good information.  By the way, . . . where is "Halfway Creek Charlie" ? . . . I miss him. 
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 12:36:49 AM »
I cannot speak for the Remingtons but the colt originals had a gain twist rifling and shallower than the repros.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 08:50:26 AM »
Wolfgang - Howdy!

I'm not Flint, but this is what I've found out.  1/2 Creek Chas is MIA for the time being.

He posted (late last year) that he was both moving and getting new employment and wouldn't have Internet access for a while.  That's the last anyone's seen or heard of him.  A LOT of us miss him and his wisdom/sense of humor/knowledge of original Remingtons.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com