Author Topic: "Old West Cowboy" photos, Part 2 (but without Spencers)  (Read 39908 times)

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
"Old West Cowboy" photos, Part 2 (but without Spencers)
« on: April 30, 2008, 09:39:30 AM »
Hello SSS,

Just a few more Old West Photos.  I find them very interesting.  Hope you do too! Two Flints

Military Scout Junction City, (Fort Riley) Kansas ca 1890s. Photograph of armed military (Army) scout. Man standing and posing for photographer studio Ramsour & Pennel. He is wearing a wide brim hat, gauntlets, knee high boots, ammo belt with shot gun shells and a holstered gun.

Cabinet Card Photograph of Two Men with guns ca 1880s - This cabinet card with the only identification "Isola" has no photographer. There are three men, one sitting on horse the other two have guns. Man on left has holstered pistol with gun belt and Winchester rifle. The man on right has a holster on and what appears to be Ivory handled pistol stuck in the belt, and also holding double barrel shotgun.

Cabinet Card Photograph of "Mountain Panther" Warm Spring Indian Chief ca 1890s - This Warm Springs Indian is holding a Stevens octagon barrel rifle, dressed in his elaborate costume, with pipe bag & fringed outfit. The photograph was taken in G. V. Fry studio of Bucyrus, Ohio. Some one has in high-lighted his eye pupils.

Cabinet Card Photograph of Two Cowboys Wearing Black Wooly Chaps ca 1890s - Unknown photographer has taken a photograph of two young cowboys in his studio; they are wearing cowboy hats, boots, shirts and great wooly chaps.

Cabinet Card Photograph Scout/Cowboy "Wild Burt" ca 1880s - Great outdoor photograph of this Scout/Cowboy with his leather chaps, super large brim hat, kerchief, and long  gun.           

Photograph of Armed Sioux Scouts in Camp by F. Jay Haynes ca 1880s - Very nice stereoview of seven armed Sioux Indian scouts and two white men among them. They all appear to be holding percussion rifles in front of teepee. Photographed and published by F. Jay Haines Fargo, Dakota Territory.

Cabinet Card Photograph Great Armed Cowboy with Holster ca 1890s - Very nice studio cabinet card taken at Ball & Sons Seattle, Washington. Depicts a full dressed cowboy with holstered pistol (you can see barrel at end of holster), cartridge belt, fringed pants, cowboy shirt and great cowboy hat.

Cabinet Card Photograph Armed Wild West Cowboy Arizona ca 1890s - Great Arizona Territory cabinet card photograph of Wild West Cowboy standing in Williams Gallery Safford, Arizona. This young cowboy has a great cowboy hat, kerchief, very nice leathered holster with colt pistol, fringed chaps, cowboy boots and rope. A great photograph of real cowboy from the old  west.

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: "Old West Cowboy" photos, Part 2 (but without Spencers)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 09:21:55 PM »
Part 1 was returned to page 1, so I thought I'd bring back the other two pages with the same title  ;D

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline KCSO

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 12:44:11 PM »
That Steven's rifle in the Fry photo appears in at least two other photo's of his that I have seen.  The problem with trying to base an outfit on what is in these phot's is that so many of them were posed with props that you never know what is real and what is not.  Those fellows with the furry chaps lokk like they wouldn't know hich side of a horse to mount.  The indian scouts look more like the real thing and the weapons are about right. 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:26:08 AM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 01:20:12 PM »
2 Rox;  These are great photographs.  I concur with KCSO's suspicion that a lot of photos were set up with studio props.

Great photos nevertheless.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 12:03:05 PM »
I just ran across this, agree on the studio photos, I really don't bother with most of them anymore. 

Did take the one outside the RR Station and did what I could.

The only Isola I could find reference to in the US is in Mississippi.  Guessing that's a 1982 Winchester, so that dates it to after that date if it is. 

The saddle on the horse looks more southern than western to me and the black kid on the platform makes me think so even more that it's Isola Mississippi.  Not that there were not blacks in the west, it's just I've never seen one as a kid in the background like that before and see plenty of them in pictures from the south.

I wish I had a high quality scan from the negative, might be able to figure out more.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 11:00:31 PM »
Notice "Wild Burt" has a Colt Lightening rifle and the "armed wild west cowboy" is wearing laced up shoes/boots.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 05:48:27 PM »
Notice "Wild Burt" has a Colt Lightening rifle and the "armed wild west cowboy" is wearing laced up shoes/boots.

Lace-ups were very common in the era.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 06:45:15 PM »
del said:  "The only Isola I could find reference to in the US is in Mississippi.  Guessing that's a 1982 Winchester, so that dates it to after that date if it is."  

Way outa our time-slot, I think! ;D

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 11:11:55 PM »
OK, you know how I can't resist old pictures. ;)  Saw something and played with these two:

Had to really play to bring out some things, never wear white shirts against a light background. ;)

Guy on the right has a pair of pants with belt loops and a belt:

So does the scout as far as the belt, loops not visible, but they could be there.

Both pictures have 1890's dates, I've never seen an exact date belt loops were put on men's pants, but very late 1890's is as early as I've seen and not this style of pants.  I would guess more around 1904 or so, seems they really came in style about 1904.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 11:12:58 PM »
del said:  "The only Isola I could find reference to in the US is in Mississippi.  Guessing that's a 1982 Winchester, so that dates it to after that date if it is."  

Way outa our time-slot, I think! ;D

OK, I'm better at working with pictures than typing, would you be happier with 1892. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com