Author Topic: Old West Photos  (Read 18753 times)

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Old West Photos
« on: April 28, 2008, 10:16:59 PM »
Hello Historical Society,

Thought you might be interested in seeing some Old West photos for clothing research.   Two Flints

Cabinet Card Photograph Full Dressed Armed Wild West Cowboy ca 1880s - Very early armed cowboy standing in unknown photographers studio. Great gilded & scalloped edge photo mount depicts this well dressed Wild West cowboy wearing a great cowboy hat, leather tooled gauntlets, fringed leather chaps, very nice triple loop holster with pistol. The belt buckle is a dog, a great real cowboy.

Imperial Size Photograph of Two Armed Cowboys ca 1890s - Two unidentified cowboys sitting in a studio with no identified photographer. This is a great image of two armed cowboys one with Winchester Rifle, the other sitting with holstered pistol and both wearing leather chaps, and cowboy hats. The man on the right has a small whip attached to his suspenders

"Whittick" Photograph of Two Armed Full Dressed Scouts ca 1880s-1890s - Great early photograph of two well dressed frontier scouts, photographed in George. B. Witticks' studio in Santa Fe, New Mexico Territory. These two men posing in the studio are well armed both have holstered pistols, great fringed leather pants and shirts, and wearing moccasins. The man sitting down is holding a Winchester, and double loop holster. The man standing has a triple loop holster, and what appears to be a breech-loading centerfire Whitney double barrel shotgun. You can see three triggers.

Cabinet Card Photograph of Great Armed Scout from Colorado 1880s - This superb image of Scout with leather fringed jacket, beaded shirt, great knee high boots & cowboy hat. Standing in the studio of J. R. Riddle located in Loveland, Colorado. This un-identified scout is also holding a Model 1873 Springfield Trapdoor Rifle and a holstered revolver with cartridge belt, a great image

CDV Autographed Photograph of B. K. O'Dwyer - Scout, Wagon Master, & Saloon Keeper ca 1870s - This early Cartes de Visite of this government scout, wagon master, teamster and Dodge City , Kansas saloon keeper. B. K. O'Dwyer autographed this beautiful CDV of himself dressed in fringed leather outfit, great wide brim hat, Bowie knife stuck in his belt, pistol, Percussion rifle and fantastic beaded moccasins.

PLATE Tin Type of Three Men, One Holding "Large Size Currency" ca 1870s - Great early tin type photograph of three cowboys sitting in studio they are all wearing great cowboy hats, vests, boots, Etc. The man standing in background is holding two large size currency notes in his hands. Very nice early tin type.

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: Old West Photos
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 07:24:46 AM »
Great pictures. Thanks pard.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 08:34:38 AM »
                                        ;D ;DITTO what Slim said, thanks for sharing  ;D 8)

tEN wOLVES ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:59:36 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 08:59:50 AM »
Interesting photos - thanks for posting them.

Now - the 'Scouts' all have a 'new' look - like the buckskin's new and all, so it's highly likely that the clothing and some of the equipment may be studio props.

Nice stuff, though - but that late in the era, buckskin wasn't all 'that' common and Contract Scouts were generally older and a bit more 'trail-worn' from experience.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 11:24:19 AM »
Lord, I hope no one says anything about the fella's hat in the middle of the last photo.  :-X ;D ;)

Offline Xavier

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 01:03:15 PM »
Always enjoy viewing these old photos.

These also reflect a pet peeve of mine - and one I see frequently today. Of the 10 individuals pictured only one is identified. I always ask my family and friends to please put the name of the person/subject on the photo for the benefit of future viewers. Sure YOU know who or what it is but will your children and others in the years to come? Please take the time to identify the subject. It only takes a few seconds and I suspect will be much appreciated at some point. No need to be verbose but some detail would be welcome; "Jacob Smith 2008" is more helpful than "Uncle Jake".

Sorry for the mini rant.

XB

Offline slap happy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 05:04:38 PM »
great pics thanks for sharing. mb

Henry4440

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 02:17:52 AM »
Thanks for the great pics,TF.

;)

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 03:34:11 PM »
FCK,

I will, I will, I WILL!!!  It's a great Montana Peak! ;D ;)
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Dai.S.Loe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 07:22:24 PM »
Lord, I hope no one says anything about the fella's hat in the middle of the last photo.  :-X ;D ;)

I've lost track of how many arguments\discussions I have seen over the years over this style of hat and whether or not it is period correct. This photo from the 1870's shows to me that it is just that, correct.
The "Darkside" means never having to see the targets you miss.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com