Author Topic: Reloading equipment  (Read 13213 times)

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: Reloading equipment
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 04:06:57 PM »
Anybody using a standard RCBS uniflow powder measure for black powder? I've talked to old timers who've been using these for BP for 40 years. I wasn't too hep on it untill I bought my last batch of BP the other day...It comes in plastic cans now! :o So, I figure it's all right to use the RCBS powder measure....... plastic powder cans, plastic powder bin, what's the diff?......I've loaded a few cartridges with it and so far haven't blown up..... ;)

Rooster man
I’ve been using a standard RCBS Uniflow powder measure for about 19 years now.  The last 13 have been with Pyrodex (not the true Black), and haven’t blown myself up yet.  I think you’ll find several discussions of the use of various powder measures with Black, and there does not seem to ever be a problem.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline slap happy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 04:51:50 PM »
i started 20 yrs ago with a lee press, went to a lee pro 1000, i like it, will probably buy a dillon when money permits. I've picked up a lot of reloading stuff used at garage sales, gun shows, flea markets. I think i'ts best to start out with a single stage press until you get familiar with the basics of reloading. hope this helps some. mb

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 11:19:01 AM »
I started with the Lyman T-Mag expert Kit.  At the time the best price was from Mid South Shooters Supply.  Also got the shell holder set and some primer pocket cleaning tools for large and small primers and the Lyman Case Kit.  Think it was 94 when I got started.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 08:17:49 AM »

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 12:53:09 PM »
Howdy!

'Tho this post started over 3 years ago, one can still get many good ideas.  I started on my best friend's RCBS Rock Chucker Jr.  I don't believe they are made any more, but it was a quality press.  About 8 years later (1982) I purchased a Bonanza COAX press.  It was an Army re-enlistment present to myself that was used to load for my new Colt Python, which I call Monty.  Monty was ALSO a re-enlistment present to myself.  LOL!  Next February (of 2012) will be my 30th anniversary with the Bonanza - which is now called the Forster COAX press and is STILL the finest single-stage press money can buy, in my most humble opinion. (IMMHO)

About 1995 or so, Dillon brought out their AT 500 Advanced Turret Loader, and my wonderful wife, Billie surprised me with one for Christmas.  With the later purchases of 4 "upgrades" over about a year and a half it is now  a full-fledged RL 550B - the mainstay of Dillon's lines.  It's not the most advanced or complicated but it will load the most calibers, I think about ALL except for the big .50  BMG rounds and same sized rounds (i.e. 416 Barrett, etc.), which take a MUCH larger press and uses non-standard dies, etc.

I have a lot of Lee equipment, but I don't much care for their presses.  I'm spoiled, quite frankly.  The single-stage and turret presses they make are FINE, and perhaps the best bargain out there.  My biggest problem is with their progressive.  I KNOW many have been using them for years and are happy.  I have one experience and it spoiled me forever on their big press.  After 3 1/2 hours of assembly and strict adherence to their somewhat limited (IMHO) instructions, I had assembled exactly ONE round, whereupon the press broke a major piece and no longer worked.  However, in my experience with OTHER Lee presses, they work fine - I simply was fortunate enough to start with other, better equipment.  I did NOT mean this to become a "Why I hate Lee" post, I'm just relaying MY personal experience.  Lee dies are excellent; their handheld priming tool is also excellent and I feel EVERY loader should have one as well as the Lee powder dippers.  I have 2 of the priming tools (1 for LPs & the other SPs - I SAID I was spoiled!) and I also have a set of the Lee bullet moulds, as sold by Dick Dasterdly  to cast the wonderful BigLube (tm) boolits.

Now you may understand where I'm coming from.  I will mention several more of my opinions:  You certainly CAN successfully and safely load BP cartridges on Dillon and other progressive presses, like the fine Hornady Lock-n-Load press system.  You will have to make up your own mind regarding using their powder measure - or any OTHER that static MAY affect.  Dillon says it will nullify their warranty, but I doubt it'd be put to the test.  I modified my own powder measure by replacing the plastic hopper with a large tube of 2.125" (or thereabouts - I fergit, exactly,) copper.  ALL powder hoppers - by ANY manufacturer - are made of static-free plastic, as are the plastic containers that some Black Powder is sold in!

Also, I'd recommend to a beginning loader, that if they POSSIBLY can, go ahead and buy the Dillon BL 550, which is simply the AT500 exactly like I got from my Frau, only renamed.  It is a turret loader and you won't get better.  Then, as you learn and progress, it can be upgraded to the RL 550B Progressive machine.

Actually, IF the money is available and someone already knows they will continue to load - and perhaps had the benefit of beginning to learn on a friend's machine, but wishes their own setup, I'd suggest buying the RL 550 B or Hornady L-n-L from the start!  You can always use it as #1) a single stage press by only using station one, or #2) use them as a turret loader.  It's soooo simple.  IF you wallet will co-operate.  It all gets down to ca$h, doesn't it?!  So, if you're on a tight budget, get a Lee or Lyman Turret press (the Lyman is over $200. tho) and do what you can.

The first purchase should be loading manuals!  (Again, I believe some of the excellent deals by Lee INCLUDE a manual written by Richard Lee, an expert.)  

Hope this helps!  Reloading ISN'T cheap or for the faint-of-heart.  You won't save much money by reloading ... but you WILL be able to spend the same money and get MUCH more practice!

;)

Your mileage may vary ...

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 03:06:02 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sujt7ORBJTk&feature=related

here is a link of Gunner Gatlin loading bp. interesting link

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2011, 10:31:56 PM »
Some where along the line I either bought the lee manual and got their really cheap single stage press for free, or bought the cheapo press and got the manual free.  In either case, I use the press with the lee priming set up that has the circlular primer holder and a curved feeder to prime all my non shotgun rounds.  Kinda a Kluge setup that lee does not sell anymore but works most of the time if you are really careful to make the primers slide into place.  Really easy to end up with one on edge or upside down.

I would get their hand operated priming tool but really don't want to buy 6 or 7 of the special shell holders used with the primer tool.

I did by the Lyman 55 BP powder measure to eliminate the problem of static with a plastic powder hopper for my BP loads.  Dont want to say it was wasted money as it is a good powder measure, but well may be an unnecessary expense. 

Reloading is not rocket science, get a good manual and follow their instructions.  I do recommend dillons tumblers.  Finally wore mine out (got it in 96 or 7)  Could have had something to do with letting it tumble for about a week constantly.  Called Dillon they told me they did not make the CV500 anymore and could not get the motors anymore.  They now make the CV750 which is the CV500 with the CV 2000 motor and a different base large enough to hold the bigger motor.  They would square me away and rebuild mine to a CV750 for $104 vs $139 or so for a new unit.  Went down to dillon, was told it was not going to cost $104.  I'm thinking the old bait and switch, but no it would cost only $65 as I had brought it in and was picking it up.  The guy then asked my phone number to look me up.  No record, tried zip code, no record, finallly found me with a record from when I lived in El Paso like 15 years ago when I bought the tumbler.  Told me he would fix the tumbler under warranty.  Guess at the time they warrantied the tumblers for life, something they no longer do as they do not make the tumbler motors.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 07:08:04 PM »
The Lee Turret presses (not meaning the Pro-1000 at all btw... bad experience with that sucker), and there are several variations of the Lee Turret Press now... 3 hole, 4 hole, and cast classic, are all decent presses.

Even if you decided on something fancier later, you would still want to keep the LEE press for one reason or another.

I have 6 presses bolted to my bench atm (2 Dillon RL500's, a Corbin Swage Press, a Lee Cast Classic, Lee 3 holed Turret Press, plus a MEC shotgun press.

The Lee turret press was my first press, well over 30 years old, still looks like new, and it still gets a regular workout.

Offline Popa Kapoff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 05:17:50 PM »
I got a gift card for midway usa And got the hormady Lock n Load AP this was my first press and I love it. If you shoo alot the single thing gets old quick I shoot up too 250 rounds a mouth in the spring summer and fall {about 6 mouths.} I can load about 100 to 200 rounds of 45 colt in about 45 minutes with this press.

I'm not saven any money but Im shootin alot mor and haven fun o that all that maters.
Till we meet keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com