Author Topic: '51 London Colts  (Read 5012 times)

Offline HorsePen Henry

• Horse Pen Henry aka M.T. Hulls
  • Top Active Citizen
  • My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys...and Indians.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
'51 London Colts
« on: April 25, 2008, 06:12:31 PM »
Howdy boys,

What is the history on these revolvers? Were these iron framed models sold here in the states? Why did they call them Londons? Any info would help piece this together for me.  I sure like the looks of them iron framed '51 Colts!!!

Many thanks,

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: '51 London Colts
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 06:52:12 PM »
Short answer, they were '51 Navies made in Hartford and at an armory in London that had iron backstraps & trigger guards.  The british prefered iron over brass.  I'm sure some were sold in the states; but they were primarily for the European trade.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 07:54:15 PM »
Alot of them are now stored at the Tower of London Armory. 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:28:18 PM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 09:37:32 PM »
Under the Militia Act of 1855, The Canadian provinces of Upper Canada (now Ontario), and Lower Canada, (now Quebec) were equiped with modern weapons.  After consideration, The Colt revolver, model 1851 was adopted in lieu of the traditional pistol for the cavalry.  In 1855, 400 revolvers were ordered from the Ordnance department, and a further 400 were ordered in 1856.  All were obtained in England through the London firm of Hebbert and Company.  All were proofed at the Tower before shipment to Canada.

In Canada the revolvers were marked on the left side of the grip;  On top were the initial U-C, for Upper Canada, or L-C for Lower Canada.  Below that was the initial of the Troop, A to E for Lower Canada, and A to L for Upper Canada.  On the bottom was the individual pistol number within the Troop, from 1 to 50.

These revolvers were still in service throughout the 1870 Riel Rebellion in Manitoba, and only replaced, on an emergency basis, in 1885 by the Colt model of 1878, for the Northwest Rebellion. Thus Canada began to procur its own arms.  We did adopt the Peabody and Spencer in the timeframe of 1867 1868.

CANADIAN MILITARY HANDGUNS 1855-1985 by Clive M. Law, 1994 Museum restoration Service, ISBN  0-88855-008-1
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 10:54:20 PM »
First - the London Colts aren't 'iron-framed' - they use iron backstraps and brass or iron triggerguards - exactly like Colt production in the United States.

At that time - 'all' of those percussion revolvers had iron frames, since steel wouldn't be used for some time.

According to Swayze's '51 Colt Navies' - there are three variants:

1. - Early London - those that were produced first in London and assembled mostly from parts sent over from the Hartford factory.

2. - London-London - the standard London Model produced in the London Armory having the usual characteristics of iron backstraps, large, rounded iron triggerguards, high rounded screw heads, 'V' non-bevelled type loading notch in the barrel lug.

3. - Hartford-London - those that were produced in the Hartford factory specifically for the London market and having the London barrel address (with dashes instead of arrows at each end of the address) -  '- Address COL COLT London -'

These were built for the trade in London - and not for the American market.

Swayze's book goes into considerable detail on this and other Models - it's well worth reading.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 11:27:57 PM »
First - the London Colts aren't 'iron-framed' - they use iron backstraps and brass or iron triggerguards - exactly like Colt production in the United States.

At that time - 'all' of those percussion revolvers had iron frames, since steel wouldn't be used for some time.

According to Swayze's '51 Colt Navies' - there are three variants:

1. - Early London - those that were produced first in London and assembled mostly from parts sent over from the Hartford factory.

2. - London-London - the standard London Model produced in the London Armory having the usual characteristics of iron backstraps, large, rounded iron triggerguards, high rounded screw heads, 'V' non-bevelled type loading notch in the barrel lug.

3. - Hartford-London - those that were produced in the hartford factory specifically for the London market and having the London barrel address (with dashes instead of arrows at each end of the address) -  '- Address COL COLT London -'

These were built for the trade in London - and not for the American market.

Swayze's book goes into considerable detail on this and other Models - it's well worth reading.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

+1  Swayze's book is definitely worth reading fo ranyone that likes the '51 Navies.
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline HorsePen Henry

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 12:49:12 PM »
I sincerely appreciate the lessons on these guns. Shuckin's! I quess I best keep lookin' further. It doesn't appear that the Londons are a good choice for a I.T. feller ta be carryin'. I best go with the regular old brass TG style ones, huh? Or maybe some sartridge open top of some kind. I'm still tryin' ta figger out exactly what set of revolvers I wanna buy into. I sure like the looks of the Colts though.  :-\ Ah heck! I like 'em all!

Thanks guys,
X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 11:36:19 PM »
In delving into the Swayze book more today; I found that there were a batch of 51 Navies sold to the US Navy that all had iron BS/TG, as well as a range of SNs that were for the Civilian market. Soooooo........ It wouldnt be out of character for someone to have a '51 with blued steel BS/TG.

A little more info:  The Early Londons parts were shipped from Hartford to London for finishing and assembly and primarily had brass BS/TG, the London Londons were made in London and were Iron; and the Hartford Londons were made in Hartford, with iron BS/TG, London markings and shipped to England.

Fm

Offline HorsePen Henry

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 10:00:36 PM »
Thanks FM. There may be some hope yet.  :D

X Horse Pen
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com