Author Topic: Using appropriate clothing from my current stuff  (Read 5365 times)

Offline Doc Neeley

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Using appropriate clothing from my current stuff
« on: December 30, 2004, 02:39:27 PM »
As I mentioned when I said howdy, I've been a reenactor for years and have a bunch of clothing for the pre-1840 era. I have buckskin pants and shirts (as well as home sewn cotton suspender style trousers), Taos style moccasins (plus indian style), drop sleeve or frontier style shirts. Tons of beadwork including possibles bags, knife sheaths, capotes (blanket coats). My bride has southwest style apache moccasins, ribbom dresses, buckskin dresses, plus southwest skirts, a buckskin skirt, etc.

Are any of these things appropriate for CAS?

Thanks.
All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream. -- T.K. Whipple

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Using appropriate clothing from my current stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 03:47:28 PM »
Depending on your character, the era, and what you wear with what, I reckon all of it will work.

Have a ball.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Jubel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 06:55:32 PM »
Amen cousin, all of what you have will work. Take a persona and research him and the time frame. Example early Texas, buck skins and "Mexican" straw hats. Ozark Mountain border wars 1858 to 1870's = derbys, and open top revolvers or Remingtons, and so on and so on. Sounds to me liken ya'll have a leg up on mosta them flatland fureners hey! ;D Besides there are no costume police out here in cowboy country just be comfortable in your persona and what looks real period to you. Iffen ya juss skip tennie Lamas and ball caps ya should be ok.  ;D
Cousin we been ashooten at each other all day! How about we stop for a beer then we kin go home and get our axes. Or just as good, lets forget this whole dang feud, I'm agetten too old for this anyhow!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:32:11 AM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 07:38:45 PM »
A just for fun here, tennis shoes and base ball caps are also perriod correct, they just don't look like the modern ones we are used to.  Tennis players of the time had to wear shoes and base ball players wore hats. ;)

And it should not be hard to work up a perrsonna using what you have, I've seen all this type clothing on folks in fotos dating to the 1890's.

If I can help at all with a perrsona PM me or post what you need.  I've gotten fairly good at it, which is good since thats what I do for a living. ;)  But in all seriousness, when the fur trade era ended a lot of those folks guided wagon trains scouted for the army and similar type work, manyof them kept all or part of the old dress.  Adding a bit of modern 1870's-80's style clothing as funds allow only increases the look.  A lot of those fellas kept there muzzle-loading rifles way up to the smokeless era.

Bill Cody had at least one new Hawken stye rifles made up in the 1870's sometime by Gemme, it is said he liked them for some things.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 07:46:15 PM »
Doc, you'll be fine with what you have now. In fact, you'll probably look more period then others at a shoot.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 08:22:58 PM »
Doc

I'm way newer here than you (in-fact Reg. just today) but I'm not new to Reenacting or CAS.
I started reenacting in the early 70's ( reenacted mounted cavalry some 28 years  both impressions of CW , War of 1812, Trapper Era , Creek War ,Seminole War, Tex/Mex. Indian Wars, even Span/Am)
When I started with CAS in the mid-nineties is was just an extension of the hobby.
I used and mix and matched bits of the various uniforming or buckskins (winter) for CAS. My persona was a retired cavalry major.

Now with a renewed interest in the dark side ,using my C&B & Open top conversions ( Instead of Ruger Vaccaro's)

We have a guy that made up a complete Prison inmate persona (from Yuma ) circa 1880's
Several Reb's and a few Span/Am Rough Riders , even a Scot Highlander in Her Majesty's Service (Queen Victoria).
Cowboy Dress from working to Sat. matinee.

What you got is gonna be fine  ;)

when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com