Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 03:21:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  STORM (Moderator: Major 2)  |  Topic: Dragoon Conversion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dragoon Conversion  (Read 7148 times)
Grapeshot
Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
Top Active Citizen

WARTHOG

« on: April 12, 2008, 02:06:24 pm »

Anyone ever see or hear of anyone making a .45 Colt conversion for the Colt Dragoon series other than R&D?

I wanted a Richards-Mason type full blown conversion done to my Uberti, 1st Model Dragoons, complete with loading gate and ejector assembly.

Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.
St. George
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 02:30:05 pm »

In McDowell's 'A Study of Colt Conversions and Other Percussion Revolvers' - he states that no 'factory' conversions took place.

'Private' conversions were done - but on a very limited scale - probably because there were so many Model 1860's and Model 1851's being converted, and thus readily available.

The Dragoon was never a belt revolver - usually being carried in pommel holsters, with the horse bearing their weight - so the demand was probably pretty light during the era - and likely today, as well.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."
Tabaquero
NCOWS
Citizen

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 07:48:29 am »

At the last SASS convention, Walt Kirst had a prototype Walker conversion on display. He said to look for it sometime in early '08. He didn't mention a Dragoon conversion but I would guess one probably isn't far behind.

Regards

Tabaquero

SASS Life #24092
SCORRS
STORM #293
White Mountain Regulators
NCOWS #3250
NRA Life
Pomona Pete
Active citizen

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 08:46:58 pm »

Hey Grapeshot:

Was this what you had in mind?

* finished.jpg (36.78 KB, 432x325 - viewed 927 times.)

Make sure to shoot low every few rounds just in case they're crawling.
Tommy tornado
Top Active Citizen

Keep your pants and your powder dry.

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 08:50:15 pm »

Cool pistolas Pete!  Did you make them yourself, have some one do it, or are they original?

Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056
Grapeshot
Top Active Citizen

WARTHOG

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 05:35:38 am »

Hey Grapeshot:

Was this what you had in mind?

Yep!  Those are exactly what I envisoned.  Who does them and what do they cost?

Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.
Deadeye Don
SASS # 76281
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

DeadeyeDon

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 06:52:58 am »

Those look darn close to the conversion Tuco used in the "Good, the Bad and the Ugly". 

Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company
Pomona Pete
Active citizen

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 08:56:21 am »

hey Grapeshot:

I actually converted them myself last winter.  I am a machinist and decided that I needed something to do for awhile. I shortened the barrels to 6 inches. The conversion plate is attached by 2 screws to the revolver frame.  I made the gates and plate on a cnc milling machine.  If I can help in any way please let me know.  I can furnish better pictures if you would  them.
Actually, converting these revolvers is very easy (if you have the equipment).                                                                                                           
                                                                                                                     Pete

Deadeye Dick
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Deadeye & His Belle

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 10:32:06 am »

I'd like to see pictures of them. I have a 2nd generation Colt 1861 Navy that I would like to have converted sometime, if I can find some one interested in doing the conversion. Did you sleeve the barrel on the 61 Navy?
Nice looking conversions. Good job!
Deadeye Dick

NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM
Grapeshot
Top Active Citizen

WARTHOG

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 09:56:12 pm »

hey Grapeshot:

I actually converted them myself last winter.  I am a machinist and decided that I needed something to do for awhile. I shortened the barrels to 6 inches. The conversion plate is attached by 2 screws to the revolver frame.  I made the gates and plate on a cnc milling machine.  If I can help in any way please let me know.  I can furnish better pictures if you would  them.
Actually, converting these revolvers is very easy (if you have the equipment). 

Pete

es.  Please send pictures to: canoneer74@hotmail.com

Crow Scout
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 08:37:20 am »

Here are more pictures of Pomona Pete's 3rd Model Dragoon conversions. 

* dragoon finished 2.jpg (99.97 KB, 800x602 - viewed 552 times.)

* dragoon finished.jpg (95.67 KB, 800x602 - viewed 692 times.)
Crow Scout
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 08:53:37 am »

........ just a few more.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Live To Fight Another Day

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 01:55:25 pm »

Grin Grin Grin nICE gUNS , tHANKS FOR SHARING  Wink Cheesy Grin Shocked Cool

tEN wOLVES  Wink Cheesy Grin

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About
will52100
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 11:26:53 am »

Just out of curiosity, did you remachine the ratchet teeth or?  Just wondering how well the cut down ratchet teeth will hold up to use.

Pomona Pete
Active citizen

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 07:04:56 pm »

will52100

I didn't remachine the ratchet at all.  The cylinders on the dragoons and walkers have plenty of tooth left after you cut for the cartridge rim.  I have shot both of mine a lot and there seems to be no noticable wear at all. 

Pete

will52100
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 08:20:04 pm »

Thanks, I'm planning on sending a dragoon to Walt Kirst to be converted, he's going to use the original cylinder also.
claude
Citizen

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 01:38:16 am »

I just bought a Kirst Conversion with loading gate from River Junction. Looks great. also made from choice steel. I have stock for my dragoon and will hang it on my shoulder with a leather strap under my duster. That should roll some eyes.  I can't wait to see how it prints at 50yards. Jim at River junction has a gunsmith on staff that will mill the loading port down for you. AT 40 I would have done the job myself but at 60 let someone else do it. Less aggravation.

The cost was 349.00

Claude
Alabama
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2008, 03:35:29 pm »

Hey Pamona ,
those are beautiful guns , you shoudl be proud of yourself , a little at least, nice work, very handsome arms indeed  Grin

Alabama
Pomona Pete
Active citizen

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 07:06:17 pm »

Alabama:

Thanks for the compliment.  I really enjoy doing these conversions.  I have access to the CNC machines and that is a big plus for this type of work.  My plans are to start building two "60 Army "Long Cylinder" conversions here in a few days.  Being a teacher, and school  Grin starting this week will definately cut into my gun building time. 

Russ McCrae
Hat Creek Cattle Co., Front Porch Division
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 05:27:42 pm »

MAN Those Dragoons are the hottest thing in town Shocked Shocked Shocked Grin Grin Grin

What load are you shooting from them Pomona?Huh

"What's Good For Me Ain't Necessarily Good For the Weak Minded"

"I'm an admirer of good sense wherever I find it."

SASS #93813
STORM #335
Pomona Pete
Active citizen

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 08:21:53 am »

Tricky:

I have shot about everything in them.  They do shoot best with the standard Winchester Cowboy loads.  The accuracy varies a lot with the bullet weight.  It seems to be much better with the 250.

Pete

Russ McCrae
Hat Creek Cattle Co., Front Porch Division
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 01:14:49 pm »

Thanks amigo I sent you a PM thanks for all the help again Grin

"What's Good For Me Ain't Necessarily Good For the Weak Minded"

"I'm an admirer of good sense wherever I find it."

SASS #93813
STORM #335
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  STORM (Moderator: Major 2)  |  Topic: Dragoon Conversion « previous next »
Jump to: