Author Topic: scope rings  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
scope rings
« on: April 07, 2008, 06:25:36 PM »
Ok I realize that this isn't exactly "Cowboy Action Shooting" but I am looking to put a scope on one of my revolvers, I know the scope I want to use; however, I don't know if I want high, medium, or low rings. Can someone kindly enlighten me as to the diffrences between the three choices? The revolver is to be used in hunting and target practice. :-\
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: scope rings
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 04:11:03 PM »
Cyrille,
I think the scope should be as close to the barrel as possible. You have to have room for the sights on the revolver and for the hammer to be cocked. Sometimes it takes a hammer spur to cock the revolver, since you may not be able to get your thumb over the hammer. You want to be sure you allow enough for the scope bell if it has one. I don't remember seeing a bell on LER pistol scopes. I prefer 2X to 4X power scope. Any higher magnification causes too much movement to be shown through the lens.
You may want to ask your gun shop or sporting goods store to let you try it on your revolver to see how it fits before you purchase. Keep the end of the scope back from out in front of the gun to keep from blowing powder residue all over the scope and lens.
Hope this helps.
 :)Deadeye Dick 
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 06:22:09 PM »
Thanks Mr. DeadEye;
Yes, I've asked around here and on the internet at the various other forums with which I correspond and that is what everyone who answered has said so far.  Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:05:47 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com