Author Topic: Sure is quiet around here.  (Read 768837 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Sure is quiet around here.
« Reply #240 on: February 04, 2005, 03:16:27 PM »
Well it ain't quiet here, I've got a major mal-function going' on with a sourdough rye bread.  I've got to go up stairs and decide if I can save it, or if I have to disspose of it.   And I am afraid at this point it ain't leavin' the kitchen quietly.  An hour ago it looked and felt like grey silly putty, but it moved on it's own.  ;D ;D

If you don't ever hear from me again call the Hazmat Team and Animal Control, it may take both of them. :o :o :o :o :o
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #241 on: February 04, 2005, 04:17:38 PM »
The other night I decided ta try your cornbread recipe in the current "Shootist". I forgot to put in the leavening agent.  :( It didn't turn out the best. I'll have ta try it again and use all the ingredients.  ::)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #242 on: February 04, 2005, 05:10:19 PM »
How do you fix a malfunction in something what ain't got no movin' parts?  ??? ??? ??? ???

What can you possibly fix or adjust or replace?  ;D ;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #243 on: Today at 08:34:27 PM »

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #243 on: February 04, 2005, 05:21:16 PM »
You know what just popped into my mind? Remember the surprise cake from the Little Rascals? Weeeeep, WoooooooooooooooooooooW, Weeeep, Woooooooooooooooooooooow. That rye dough is probably crawling all over the kitchen sorta like the Blob...........Buck 8) ::) :o :o :P ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #244 on: February 04, 2005, 05:59:31 PM »
If it starts crawling up Delmonico's arm, we may have to amputate it to save him.

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #245 on: February 04, 2005, 06:26:01 PM »
Ok, I'm safe. ;D  Was gonna make rye bread today, started a sponge last night, didn't have any white flour so since I was makein' rye bread I thought I would just use the rye flour and get white today.  Looked in the bowl and it looked like my new starter had problems.  Not enough gluten in the flour, it was like silly putty, but it moved.  It is in the garbage right now, outside.  Biscuits fer supper I guess. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #246 on: February 04, 2005, 07:18:53 PM »
Did you remember to put the lid on the garbage can, then a brick on the lid? It might crawl out in the middle of the night and get you.

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #247 on: February 04, 2005, 07:25:25 PM »
Na the cold will keep it under control, it got to 61 today, but thats the end of it.  Won't get over 40 tommorow and snow on Sunday, the garbage man comes on Monday.   ;D ;D ;D

If it was warm it might get the garbage man.  GG and I did a 'spearmint one time with bread dough with lots of yeast and 105 in the shade.  Put a piece the size of a golf ball in a empty tomato can. ;D ;D

Oh and the pizza crust that almost ate the town of Naper NE. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #248 on: February 07, 2005, 01:40:36 AM »
The first time I took some of my start campin with my kids,
guess it got a little close in the "ice box" and it 'sploded all over the inside. My kids just thought it was soo funny.

But i scooped it up and next morning we had sourdough cakes by an open fire in Grants Grove. The kids ate 15-20 dollar size cakes each...(and they started by sayin "we don't much line hotcakes..."

When they come to visit now, I make cakes for him and alll 5 of his kids...thats a lot of griddle time.
cc
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Stoney Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: February 07, 2005, 08:54:09 AM »
Danged ifin I know, must have been somethin we said, (either that or we need to up our bathin to twice a week....)
cc
Not twice a week!  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :) :) :) :) :) :) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Slim
I bathe every June when the water in the rain barrel is warm enough.  Then I get a shower every time it rains.  Beyond that I just don't see the need.

Stoney (whom people avoid and he can't figure out why) Pete

If it can't be nice, eaten, make money, create comfort or provide real pleasure.........kill it or trade it in on new one!

Offline Stoney Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #250 on: February 07, 2005, 08:55:38 AM »
The other night I decided ta try your cornbread recipe in the current "Shootist". I forgot to put in the leavening agent.  :( It didn't turn out the best. I'll have ta try it again and use all the ingredients.  ::)

Slim
When all else fails, follow the instructions.

If it can't be nice, eaten, make money, create comfort or provide real pleasure.........kill it or trade it in on new one!

Offline Stoney Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #251 on: February 07, 2005, 08:59:53 AM »
If it starts crawling up Delmonico's arm, we may have to amputate it to save him.

AnnieLee
With you doing his nursing let's hope it don't jump on his head. ;D ;)

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #252 on: February 07, 2005, 10:29:13 AM »

Slim
When all else fails, follow the instructions.
I was trying to but two of the ingredients were on the same line so I missed the second one which was the leavening agent.  ::)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #253 on: February 07, 2005, 03:58:24 PM »
Hey Del, Your failed rye bread didn't eat the trash guy today did it? remember, it was inthe trash can.........Buck 8) ::) ??? :-\
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #254 on: February 07, 2005, 07:05:42 PM »
Don't know why both ended up on the same line, typo at the printers?  Just change the name ta corn pone and it will be alright.   Got some I made in April that ain't got no leavin', no shortnin' no eggs or white flour.   Still as good as the hardtack from the same time.  Me and GG did a lecture on Civil War rations. 

I'd thought that Civil War study group a would a jumped right in and tried them, I tolt them they could.

Did ya try the Steak Recipe Slim, course to many a them and ya'd have ta change from Slim! ;D :o ;)

Buck, the temp dropped, it was safe fer the garbage man.  Don't know about the City Dump when the weather gets warm. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline gophergrease

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #255 on: February 07, 2005, 10:07:58 PM »
Ok, I'm safe. ;D  Was gonna make rye bread today, started a sponge last night, didn't have any white flour so since I was makein' rye bread I thought I would just use the rye flour and get white today.  Looked in the bowl and it looked like my new starter had problems.  Not enough gluten in the flour, it was like silly putty, but it moved.  It is in the garbage right now, outside.  Biscuits fer supper I guess. ;D

Did you know that biscits made with bad starter can be used by the blacksmith enstead of coal.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #256 on: February 07, 2005, 10:24:50 PM »
Hey there were nothin' wrong with them biscuits 5 days before we burned them.  The bacteria part of the starter that makes the acetic acid and the lactic acid  out of the carbohydrates was just fine.  The yeast that farts out the CO2 to make the bread rise in yeast bread was just not healthy. ;D ;D

However a really good starter when fed well will be crawlin' out of the cupboard tryin' to get the wifes cat. ;D ;D 

OOOOOps none a the CAS-City folks will want to ever eat sourdough again.  Course I had that one that almost ate the State Fair.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline gophergrease

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #257 on: February 07, 2005, 10:51:32 PM »
Dont forget the starter that tryed to drive a way on last new years.

Offline gophergrease

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #258 on: February 07, 2005, 11:06:35 PM »
good nit all.........

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #259 on: February 08, 2005, 09:11:55 AM »
Don't know why both ended up on the same line, typo at the printers?  Just change the name ta corn pone and it will be alright.   Got some I made in April that ain't got no leavin', no shortnin' no eggs or white flour.   Still as good as the hardtack from the same time.  Me and GG did a lecture on Civil War rations. 

I'd thought that Civil War study group a would a jumped right in and tried them, I tolt them they could.

Did ya try the Steak Recipe Slim, course to many a them and ya'd have ta change from Slim! ;D :o ;)
The "corn pone" was rather moist, but tasted good.
Haven't tried the steak recipe yet, but fried pork chops in butter. They sure were good.  ;D

Slim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com