Author Topic: Sure is quiet around here.  (Read 768914 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Sure is quiet around here.
« Reply #2120 on: December 09, 2010, 10:00:45 AM »
I went back to the first and am reading a page or two a day.  It's like a history lesson.

Some mighty good folks are gone.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #2121 on: December 09, 2010, 10:06:22 AM »
I went back to the first and am reading a page or two a day.  It's like a history lesson.

Some mighty good folks are gone.

again you are correct
Mathew 5.9

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #2122 on: January 03, 2011, 12:33:39 PM »
But then, some of us are still here.  ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Advertising

« Reply #2123 on: Today at 07:33:55 PM »

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2123 on: January 03, 2011, 12:53:25 PM »
At least at times......................... ::) ;D
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #2124 on: January 03, 2011, 02:04:34 PM »
Some of us take sabbaticals but always turn up like bad pennies.  That's my story.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #2125 on: January 03, 2011, 02:08:22 PM »
Oh... did he mean mentally?  I must bow out in that case. :-[
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2126 on: January 06, 2011, 06:22:29 AM »
Oh... did he mean mentally?  I must bow out in that case. :-[

that's right dissappear on another 'still" induced binge. See you in another 6 or 7 months
Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #2127 on: January 06, 2011, 05:48:02 PM »
We miss Trinity's sense of humor around here. Don't stay away for so long again.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Marshal harpoluke

• Black Sash Gunfighter Lord of the Dark Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Agapei Attack Sheep
  • Liked:
« Reply #2128 on: February 22, 2011, 06:14:25 PM »
 ;D
SASS 60019L
NRA Life
CASS
Muckraker
Straight Shooter
Army Veteran
GOFWG#269
LASOOS#35s,
Lookout fur da sheep, packs a 10ga.,
Ya loot, Ah Shoot,
Lord of the Dark Soot,
Prayer Posse,
GoofBall #12

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2129 on: July 29, 2011, 05:03:15 PM »
What did they do, tear down the old place and build a vacant lot?

Where is everybody?
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2130 on: July 29, 2011, 05:27:53 PM »
now it's just a field of flowers
Mathew 5.9

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2131 on: July 30, 2011, 07:59:31 AM »
Wondered why I was sneezing ;D
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2132 on: July 30, 2011, 09:57:29 AM »
We've got all kinds of stuff in the air to make you sneeze. Victoria and I are both sneezing. Maybe we're allergic to each other.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #2133 on: July 30, 2011, 10:56:51 PM »
Sure better than poison ivy.  ::)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #2134 on: July 31, 2011, 08:19:53 AM »
When my dad was in the Marine Corps they had an exercise on Guam where half of them had to hide and the rest had to find them.  He was the only one that didn't get found but unfortunately he didn't know what poison sumac was and that's where he hid.  Was in the infirmary for awile after spending the night covered in it,
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2135 on: July 31, 2011, 08:25:56 AM »
I haven't gotten into poison ivy or sumac and I hope I never do. My bout with shingles a couple of years ago was bad enough for me. I don't think that you ever get completely over them.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2136 on: July 15, 2014, 08:29:23 PM »
I thought this needed dug up, now Forty Rod, tell us about the gophers in your yard again.   ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2137 on: July 16, 2014, 01:16:04 AM »
Gophers?  I got no gophers.   :o

Remind me tomorrow.  I'm going to bed now.

Nightie-bye.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #2138 on: July 16, 2014, 07:49:24 AM »
Any lawn left?  ;)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2139 on: July 16, 2014, 12:33:18 PM »
Well, now, I know I posted this story before but I'm too old to look for it, so here goes:

37 years ago we bought this house and put in a lawn right off.  Within a few weeks I had gophers. EVERYBODY for miles around had gophers.  We tried everything we could think of, flooding their burrows, gas, noise makers, poisons, smoke, you name it.  

At the time I was still in the Marine Corps and working part time for The Flintlock gun shop in Anaheim and had a goodly supply of Gearhart-Owens black powder... including a brand new unopened can of FFFFg (that's 4F for you counting-challenged yokels.)

I waited until the ground had dried for a week or so, and on a fine Saturday morning I filled all the holes I could find, and set my plan in motion.  I ran a string of powder about a yard long (NOT LONG ENOUGH) and as big around as a pencil away from the hole and poured the rest in.  I just poured it in loose, not in any way compacted.

I made sure everyone was back and touched my cigarette to the "fuse line".  It took nicely and ran right down that hole.

I don't remember any sound at all, but it suddenly felt like someone had hit me on the soles of my feet with a baseball bat, (NOTE: Louisville Sluggers are made about a mile from my house.), a huge column of white, black, and orange shot up almost in slow motion, and a thought ran through my mind, "MY GOD, that's right over my water main".

I picked my self up from flat on my back and did a quick survey.  No one seemed to be hurt but my kids and a couple of neighbors were laughing hysterically.  Some others were coming outdoors to see what had happened.  My hair was singed, my t-shirt full of little holes, and I had no eyebrows.  My plastic USMC glasses were pitted and bent.  Smoke was pouring form a hole the size of a large wash tub and the yard was littered with dirt and rock.

Half an hour later my across the street neighbor came over with a huge divot of sod and handed it to me with "I think this might be yours" before walking away.  He still lives there and we're still friends.

No other damage was done, no windows broken, my water main is still intact after 37 years, and no one called the fire department or the police.  Of course the neighbors wouldn't let their kids out if I was in the yard and several moved away within a year or less.

BUT!!!

There are no gophers in my yard and none in the entire neighborhood, and haven't been since that Saturday in 1978 when I declared war on them.

After all my experience I learned several things:

1. 3 feet of powder train isn't enough.

2. 1 full pound is likely overkill.

3. Black powder doesn't have to be compacted, merely somewhat confined, to explode

4. Some neighbors can be very forgiving.

5.  The shakes go away after a couple of days, but your hearing is never the same again.

6. Local Fire Marshals who hear about things through the grapevine can have a wonderful sense of humor.  (RIP Dave.)

7. Experience is a wonderful teacher... if you survive.

8. The damnedest things can get you a great reputation.

9. Some things are funny no matter what, but see #5 above.

10.Pobody's nerfect.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com