Author Topic: Cawfee,Tea,(SweeTea) and summertime grub fer JULY  (Read 144030 times)

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cawfee,Tea,(SweeTea) and summertime grub fer JULY
« Reply #480 on: July 31, 2014, 03:41:48 PM »
Stu,

Food looks real good.
As for catsup... I think the Canadians have the lead on a catsup and spam sandwiches.
I've been told it is a survival food.(nasty in my opinion!) But, if you can have catsup in camp... what are you surviving?

As for meatloaf, if someone wants catsup... let them add it after its been cut from the loaf.

As for the corn... boiled or roasts is fine with me.
However, I think I would prefer my taters roasted in foil next to the fire even over and above the corn.
But I would not turn my nose up to any of it! (accept the catsup!)
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #481 on: July 31, 2014, 03:56:28 PM »
We're on the same page as far as ketchup is concerned. The tomato variety was only invented as a way to turn tons of rotten tomatoes into a profitable product.  I'd rather they fed em to hogs or compost.

I like potatoes roasted in foil too. I'll do that if I'm only doing a couple, but I had several mouths to feed & wanted leftovers for breakfast.  For hashbrowns or any other refried potato, I like boiled better than baked.

By the way, all you need to make a good Spam sandwich is Spam and bread. Still good without the bread, but not really a sandwich.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #482 on: July 31, 2014, 04:57:04 PM »
I make it that way to please the majority.    ;)   Like the peach cobbler, made a few hundred over the years, never ate a bite of any of them.  Worthless tree, don't make good fruit or firewood.   ;D

Had sweet corn last night, fresh, I like to play with heirloom old cultivars.  (Yuppies grow heirlooms cause they like to change names)  Blue Jade, may do it again, squirrels wrecked my Golden Bantam, seem to miss this, guess they don't look low enough.  Good flavor, normal sweet corn, not this new over sweet stuff they pedal out of the back of rusty pick-ups.   

Joe here at work called it Green Acres corn.    ::)   Wind wouldn't topple it either.   ::)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #483 on: Today at 04:06:51 PM »

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #483 on: July 31, 2014, 05:19:59 PM »
My favorite Spam recipe is straight up, in sliced or bit sized pieces.

Next would probably be mixed with diced potatoes and onions fried in bacon grease with a bit of green bell pepper, touch of salt and pepper.
I have a hard time not cooking without onion a bell pepper with most meals.
Most of theses meals are a bit heavy for me at this time of year, form my normal far. But, I still get into stocking the furnace from time to time.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #484 on: July 31, 2014, 05:27:16 PM »
Glen where are you buying your yuppie seed?

Baker?
Mathew 5.9

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #485 on: July 31, 2014, 05:27:55 PM »
I make it that way to please the majority.    ;)   Like the peach cobbler, made a few hundred over the years, never ate a bite of any of them.  Worthless tree, don't make good fruit or firewood.   ;D

Had sweet corn last night, fresh, I like to play with heirloom old cultivars.  (Yuppies grow heirlooms cause they like to change names)  Blue Jade, may do it again, squirrels wrecked my Golden Bantam, seem to miss this, guess they don't look low enough.  Good flavor, normal sweet corn, not this new over sweet stuff they pedal out of the back of rusty pick-ups.  

Joe here at work called it Green Acres corn.    ::)   Wind wouldn't topple it either.   ::)
I know you do. I've made hundreds of meat loaves in several different restaraunts & cafes, always put ketchup in and on em, but not at home.

I love peaches, but I'll eat your apple cobbler even though I think apples should be eaten raw.

The farmers' daughters I bought corn from yesterday didn't have any rust on their pick-up.  They also didn't even know where that corn was growing till dad sent em out to pick it & haul it to town to "earn" their summer "wages"

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #486 on: July 31, 2014, 05:35:14 PM »
Curses on all of ya.

I ain't sat down ta din-din 'n when I do it's gonna be salad. Vegetables fresh butchered tho.

On the squirrel thing. Got the jays fed 'n only had a few intercepted by the tree rats. Had the netbook outside. Did a Google search for hawk sounds. Clicked onna page 'n played a scream. Had three of the things within' twenty feet or so. All three hauled hiney.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #487 on: July 31, 2014, 06:03:29 PM »
Del, it looks like you've only got 2 sisters in your planting ;D But with that short variety of corn, pole beans might overwhelm it. May have to try some odd varieties next year. Only planted golden bantam this year, and it didn't make much, ears were skinny with either half formed kernels, or still skinny ears that were over mature. Coons or sqirrels only came around once, I guess they didn't like it either. Or maybe they were too busy with 28 acres of field corn down the road.

I'm fine with ketchup on meat loaf, or gravy on meat loaf, but have occasionally seen both together, and have to wonder..... why?

Wife just dropped some catfish in the pan for dinner. Not caught by me(at least they didn't throw it to me at the store).

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #488 on: July 31, 2014, 06:28:14 PM »
Del, it looks like you've only got 2 sisters in your planting ;D But with that short variety of corn, pole beans might overwhelm it. May have to try some odd varieties next year. Only planted golden bantam this year, and it didn't make much, ears were skinny with either half formed kernels, or still skinny ears that were over mature. Coons or sqirrels only came around once, I guess they didn't like it either. Or maybe they were too busy with 28 acres of field corn down the road.

I'm fine with ketchup on meat loaf, or gravy on meat loaf, but have occasionally seen both together, and have to wonder..... why?

Wife just dropped some catfish in the pan for dinner. Not caught by me(at least they didn't throw it to me at the store).

Never cared for the golden batam just preference. The seneca was always one that produced a hearty ear. 
Mathew 5.9

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #489 on: July 31, 2014, 06:37:50 PM »
There is crowder peas in there also, not sure a Mid East cow pea is proper, but I had the seed and it seemed like a good idea. 

Io Chief, ain't found any of the seed in a while.   Got the Blue from Earl.   Gonna scrounge up some Yukon King over the winter, gonna see if I can have roasting ears on Memorial Day or before.  Used to get it about half the time, Give me a dry late March or Early April and a cooler spring and I will, if it ain't in by the second week in April I'll wait.  Won't tolerate much heat, Uni of Alaska developed it in the 1950's.   
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #490 on: July 31, 2014, 06:43:38 PM »
At least you guys are eating well! ;D

Rough day on the job. We were moving some cement to another spot by the sewer plant building, didn't notice that some small hornets had set up shop in the spouting over the spot. They took offense to the vibrations fron the block hitting the building, got stung twice before we moved out of range. Haven't been stung since I discovered my allergies. Ended up taking a couple Benedryl as a precaution, drowsy the rest of the day :-\ Four cans of wasp/hornet spray later, they paid for their temper tantrum. Got me on the side of my neck, and on my right temple. That one is still swelled some ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #491 on: July 31, 2014, 06:44:30 PM »
Never planted my own corn.  Some of the neighbors always do. For them it's just a matter of putting a few bags of different seed in the planter.  Sometimes a neighbor will just leave some on the porch. Sometimes I buy it for their kids out of the back of a pick-up in town. Sometimes they just tell me where it is so I can pick it my self.

Been trying to decide what's for supper. A salad sounds good, so does catfish. Got neither on hand.  Got lots of beef, not in the mood so didn't thaw any. Same story for the couple yardbirds in the freezer.  Might end up frying some cluckberries & hashbrowns.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #492 on: July 31, 2014, 07:17:19 PM »
My vote is catfish on too of the salad
Mathew 5.9

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #493 on: July 31, 2014, 09:56:04 PM »
Evnin' y'all.

Just finished eatin' a fried bird, and a double-decker sandwich.  Downed a glass of milk afterwords.  Nice and full, now.

Bought those parts for the Chevy truck today.  Just need to install them.  Would have this evening, but had to change the back brakes on the family SUV... 

Had to go out today, and bury some old turkey and chicken parts.  Also had to bury a cat.  Not all that fun...  :-\   The ground was really hard, and dry, and rocky.  All I had to dig with was a shovel.  bleh.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #494 on: July 31, 2014, 10:25:57 PM »
Ended up having macaroni & cheese for supper. Would have rather had catfish on a salad. 

I feel for you Kid. Don't like cats & never buried one, but the hardest digging I've ever done (& I've done plenty) was in Northern California in summer.  Did a lot of digging there during the summer of 1984.  Worst was some post holes that we started with a power auger, moved to a pick & shovel, & finally had to rent a jackhammer & air compressor to get the job done.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com