Author Topic: Clean up  (Read 6831 times)

Offline Will Pluggum

• Mesa, Arizona
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 57339, NRA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Clean up
« on: March 28, 2004, 12:49:52 PM »
Never shot black powder.  Is is a chore to clean up your guns after a shoot? 
N.R.A. ....the big posse' is keepin an eye on them bushwackers for us....JOIN UP!   www.nra.org

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Clean up
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 01:06:35 PM »
I don't think it's much of a chore. Fact is, I think that Crazy Woman up on the northern plains just takes off the grips on her pistols 'n chucks em in the dishwasher! :o

I take my grips off and take the cylinders out, then spay the gun with window washing fluid, wipe down the outside, and then clean the bore with Ballistol/Water mix, followed by dry patches and then saturate it WD-40 to drive out any moisture. I then clean the cylinders with the Ballistol/water mix, dry em' spray em with WD, 'n put em back int heguns and put the grips back on.

My lever guns I clean sorta like frontstuffer, put an empty cartridge case in the chamber, 'n wipe the bore with wet patches till clean, wipe down the outside of the gun, sometimes some detail work in the action area, oil & put away. (don't try this trick iffin yer shootin a bottle necked ca'tridge though, you'll end up with a trapped cleaning jag! :o  )

Scatter gun, barrels go into a bucket of soapy water, and patches run up and down in them until they's clean, then dry patches, then oil, then put back t'gether and put away.

A couple of times a year I detail strip alla my gunz and git in to alla the nooks 'n crannys. I don' have no problems wif corrosion yet!  ;D

That all sounds more complicated than it really is. In truth it's no more complicated or time consuming than cleaning smokeless. The perception that it's a hassle, in my opinion, stems from the fact that you must clean em after every shoot which a lot, if not most, smokeless shooters don't bother with.

I hope some other pards will jump in here give examples of their cleaning regiemens!
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 06:05:10 PM »
Not a real problem at all.  I use a mixture of Windex All-Purpose clear (contains vinegar); some hot soapy water with Murphy's Oil Soap; a hair dryer to DRY 'em; run some patches though the barrel and cylinder; then good gun oil.  Works good for me and no rust here in high humidity Mississippi.
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:30:06 AM »

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 03:44:17 AM »
I'll use hot water and a'brassbrush for the barrel, then i blowdry them and spray some WD-40. Never had any problem.
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Offline Big Bear Johnson

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Active citizen
  • SASS #13968
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 01:52:51 PM »
What do you all use to clean up your brass?

I used to use a vinegar and something else solution, can't remember the "something else" though.

any ideas?
SASS #13968
Ruby's Rangers #2
ex-Cajon Cowboy
ex-Coto Cowboy
ex-Silver Queen Mine Regulator
ex-honorary Nevada Ranger

Current Deadwood Boy

Offline Shiloh Sharpie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 08:14:15 PM »
What do you all use to clean up your brass?

I used to use a vinegar and something else solution, can't remember the "something else" though.

any ideas?

A bit late but...........A soak of Mr. Clean and water, 1:20 or so.  Rinse well with cold water.  At this point the brass is not too stained and could be polished easily, but I soak it in a solution of 50/50 vinegar and water for 10 minutesto make sure all is neutralized.  Rinse again and throw into vibrator or tumbler and clean/polish to desired point.
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS 10477 Life
-------------------------------------------------------
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2004, 08:01:42 AM »

My lever guns I clean sorta like frontstuffer, put an empty cartridge case in the chamber, 'n wipe the bore with wet patches till clean, wipe down the outside of the gun, sometimes some detail work in the action area, oil & put away. (don't try this trick iffin yer shootin a bottle necked ca'tridge though, you'll end up with a trapped cleaning jag! :o  )

Cuts, what if you took a dedicated case and put a cork or dowel in it so the jag wouldn't go in?   I have found some rubber stoppers I am going to try. 

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 01:01:36 PM »
Howdy Will,

No reason that wouldn't werk! The idea is to keep the crud from entering the action and a fireformed & "plugged" cartridge should do the same thing as my method!
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 07:44:39 AM »
Now, for the simple, easy and fast way.

Spritz of Moosemilk (Ballistol & water 1:7) from my spritz bottle, and a pull of the Boresnake.  Yer done.

Wipe down gun with Ballistol damp rag and put it away.

I've done it for years and not a spot of rust and never a bobble at the firein' line.  Emule me for complete details.

Keep the steel ringn'.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com