Author Topic: Ruger New Vaquero Disassembly  (Read 21808 times)

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Ruger New Vaquero Disassembly
« on: March 09, 2008, 01:22:44 PM »
Pards,
I'm thinking about disassembling my New Vaquero for major cleaning. Thought I'd see if anyone has any tips or maybe I should leave it to a smith. It doesn't appear too hard looking at the NV instruction manual, but I've been down that road before. What say you fellow RATS? ??? ??? ??? I'm open to all input. How hard or maybe I should say "easy" is it?
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Offline Hank Rugerman

• Rats# 413
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ruger New Vaquero Disassembly
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 01:49:23 PM »
Deadeye....

It's not difficult....quite a few folks reference this page for the Ruger....

http://www.curtrich.com/ruger.html

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=1910zVAQUERO%20SA

Check out the schematic and heads up on these locations.

First things First....DO NOT try to drive any pins until the screws have been removed...some of the pins are held in place by the screws that hold other things together.

#40/41/42 - See the Curtrich method/s for retaing the mainspring

# 45  - Pawl Spring and Plunger assembly...make sure when you put the gun back together to get the plunger in and spring out.

#36 Hammer Pivot Pin - Make sure it has been pushed in correctly as to engage the Detent spring correctly.

Other than these...it's pretty straight forward...reference your owners manual for the rest...

I attached a link...just in case... ;)

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/PDF/InstructionManuals/53.pdf

Good luck...

If you get to thinking your important..try ordering someone elses dog around!

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 02:47:33 PM »
Howdy Pard

Hank has put down some good sugestions, and web sites , but one thing I need to point out , with the exception of the Ruger manual,on the new model Vaquero, the other web sites are refering to the Old Model Vaquero, and some of these things , and parts numbers will not work on the NMV, if you need hammer springs or reduced tension hammer springs , I suggest you go to www.gunsprings.com, I ordered springs from Brownells , and they sent me the long springs for the OMRV, when I called them, they told me they were the right ones , but there not , I called Wolff , which is Gun Spring . com, and told them the problem I was having , and they told me that Brownells was having a codeing problem , and it probably won't be fixed until there next catalog came out , (They think) anyway I ordered my springs from Wolff and they sent the right ones, which are shorter in length, I've had my guns apart several times , for cleaning degreaseing ,polishing and putting in some of Wes Flowers special parts to help eliminate, the ring around the cylinder problem, which the Vaquero's come with from Ruger, it doesn't hurt anything but me being me I just didn't like it , so by putting Wes's made by him personally parts in my NMRV, no more ring around the cylinder. I found useing the manual that came with my gun , to be very useful in taking the gun apart and putting it back together, it has all the good tips you need to get the job done, if you're not sure as to what to polish , just leave it alone , these guns will smooth them selfs out with use. (IMHO)  ;)

It's  not hard Pard , and it's a good way to learn about your gun, so have fun  :D ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:36:17 PM »

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 09:44:31 AM »
Thanks Pard's. I'll give it a try and see how it comes out. Think I'll replace the hammer spring to lighten the cocking load. Appreciate all of your good suggestions. Guess I'd better figure out what I need and place an order with Wolff.
I noticed in one of the web sites given they recommended tearing the revolver all the way down each time after shooting BP. I don't do this on my open tops since it just adds to the wear and tear on the parts and screws. I've not had any adverse problems with them. I don't think it's necessary on the Ruger's either.
Thanks again,
Deadeye Dick

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 02:35:05 PM »
Ten Woves,
I'm just getting around to order the Wolff spring pack for my New Vaquero. I see they come in several reduced weight springs for both the hammer spring and the trigger spring. What power of springs did you go with and would you have wished to have ordered different?
Sure like my New Vaquero.  ;D ;D ;D
Deadeye Dick

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 03:04:40 PM »
Howdy Deadeye Dick

I use the 16# hammer spring, and the 30 ounce triger spring , and it works fine for me . the NMRV comes with a 17# hammer spring , so this is just a tad lower , I don't like going too light , I know it feels better , but you still want it to pop those primers, I haven't checked the triger pull but I really don't need to , it feels just fine with the 30 ounce spring , this is a matter of what feels right to you, they sell a combo pkg. that has a 14# 15#and a 16# hamer spring , this is what I bought, but haven't used the lighter ones yet , I so far am happy with the 16# spring. You can also get the triger springs in 30 and 40 ounce , I would sugest you get a few , just to have on hand. hope this was some help, Take care Pard  :D just for your information, the Old model Vaquero, came with 23# hammer springs , so the NMRV is already far ahead on that issue. ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 07:44:26 PM »
Ten Wolves,
I hear you about being sure the primer pops. Your advice about purchasing several springs is well taken. They are not that expensive and I could experiment a little. Will place an order tomorrow from Wolff and give them a try. Nice thing is you can always go back to the original springs if you decide you don't like the change. I don't want the trigger to be so light that it isn't safe and I want the hammer to fall hard enough to pop the primers. 
Thanks for the speedy reply.
Deadeye Dick

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 09:42:04 PM »
Got the new springs in my New Vaquero and it sure helped make it feel more smooth than what it was. Just put in another order for my 41 mag Blackhawk. If you haven't tried Wolff's spring pak you might want to give it some thought. Thanks to all you pard's that offered advice.
Deadeye dick

Offline HermanDStrange

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 06:28:13 PM »
Howdy Y'all,
I just  received my first NMV(with another waiting for me sequential numbered) and spent some time cleaning it for the first time Yesterday.
some things I thought I would add to the discussion:
it is "easy" if you follow the directions  however some tricky stuff I found.
1    I needed a manual impact driver to break free the screws holding the handle to the rest of the body (it was needed for 4 of the 5 screws (I bent 2 craftsman screwdrivers before getting the impact driver)
2    getting the latch spring to release from the trigger pin was a chore... I finally used a small punch that was round to compress the spring (a screwdriver was too square and not allowing the pin to slide..) I did not use the end of the punch but the side. the pin slipped out considerably easier. 
and 3
the loading latch spring (upon reassembly wanted to poke out of its place but it is easy to put back if you leave the cylinder out until last, and pop the spring back in if if moves on you. (I was really confounded, the gun worked except when I opened the latch... the spring hung it up).

lastly maybe it was my inexperience,  :-[ but it took me for ever to get the handle and the gun lined up with out damaging the springs that fit between them, there are 2 one  by the hammer, one by the trigger touchy and easy to pop out of place... be careful not to damage them...

anyways, that is my 2 cents, I am looking forward to shooting it, it sure is smooth now that it is cleaned and lubed. and I did no modifications... it will be a mighty fine shootin iron to fire. ;D

HD

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 01:29:09 AM »
Hello HermanDStreange

After reading your post, I can see that you're lucky you didn't mess up the screws or the gun ( IMO ) if you don't mind me sayin, really try to avoid useing an impact driver on a gun , you can do real damage to your gun, seeing how you're new to this , I would sugest you get a Magna-tip screw driver set that is made just for your Vaquero, this way you will be useing the right screw driver bit for each screw each time , also get a gate spring clamp ,( IT'S LIKE HAVING A THIRD HAND) these things will not cost you a lot of money , and they will help you when you need to work on your gun, you can order these from Brownells. As far as a how to do it , use the manual that came with your Ruger Vaquero, READ IT over and over until you understand what is involved and how to go about it, I find this manual to be right on, and fairly easy to understand, just follow what they tell you to do , and it will be a piece of cake. I'm glad you got your gun back together, but next time give what what I'm saying a try , I think you will be happy you did. :D ;) :) You can request a free catalog from Brownells , and you can do it on line, the web site is
   www.brownells.com

Take care Pard , and enjoy your new gun  ;D

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 11:14:31 AM »
HDS,
All of my screws were easy to unscrew. I wonder if firing a couple of hundred rounds through it helped loosen them up some. Also, I have a set of screw drivers from Brownell's that fit the screw heads. I think this is half the battle. You are right in that it is a little frustrating trying to get the cylinder latch spring and the pawl spring in place when reassembling the revolver. I think in the future for cleaning, I'll just take the grip frame off and spray with ballistol moose milk and then air blow the internal workings out instead of completely disassembling the revolver. Still have to deal with the two springs though.
Ten Wolves gives good advice concerning the screw drivers and gate spring clamp holder. I think I will order one in next Brownell's order.
Enjoy your New Vaquero.  :) :)
Deadeye Dick 

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 01:35:16 PM »
Just finished putting a spring pak in my New Model .41 Blackhawk. The screws were easy to remove and the reassembly of the grip to the frame was a lot easier than the Vaquero. The pawl spring was heavier and didn't pinch as easily as it did in the NMV. Now to get out  and shoot it. Seemed to help the trigger and hammer quite a bit.
Deadeye Dick

Offline HermanDStrange

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 05:03:35 PM »
Thanks for the Advice.  I will study it more this next time.. (and hunt down those tools I certainly needed a third hand...)
It taint no fun  being a greenhorn....  but my pa did always say.... "live and learn....."  maybe it is still that youthful exuberance..
don't rightly know...
but I never run from the truth, 
However that impact driver worked good.... shows how good the Vaqueros  is built if it can put up with that....most of my problems were the springs though the screws are still fine.
thanks again I will get the equipment you recommended. (I am glad I posted, I would hate to really damage my Irons by repeating the mistake.

Herman

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com