Author Topic: New Vaquero Base Pin Latch Problem  (Read 4495 times)

Offline Ramblin Ron

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Vaquero Base Pin Latch Problem
« on: April 14, 2008, 02:20:01 PM »
Have my Ruger New Vaquero out for only the second time this last weekend and the parts holding the Base Pin in place came apart. The Latch Body landed on the table at the shooting stage but the Latch Nut and Spring were lost. This was a surprise since I had shot less than 100 rounds through the revolver since buying it new just last month. Looking at the Latch Body (the part with the screw threads) it appears that the nylon insert used to help lock the threads was too short and it did not show any contact with the threads from the mating nut at all.

One of the fellows at he range mentioned that this issue was talked about in a forum but I wouldn’t of thought to check the latch screw after only a few rounds. I guess I’ll need to check the latch assembly regularly like my screws on the Marlin.

Anyway,  I called Ruger’s Customer Service today and got excellent service with replacement Latch Body, Nut  and Spring shipping out at no charge.
Concho Valley Shooters
NRA LIFE
RATS #423

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
Re: New Vaquero Base Pin Latch Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 08:04:22 AM »
That's too bad - it sort of ruins a nice day at the range. I never had problems with my Vaquero, but I did suffer the same problem with a SBH about a year ago. I blamed it on myself, since I had removed the parts to take some pictures for someone needing info, and I probably didn't retighten them enough. I purchased replacement parts from a vendor, and they also had inserts....

I'm sure that Ruger will hold up well for you - but it makes me wonder how many guns left the factory with faulty lock-nuts.

Offline Will Blastem

• Top Active Citizen
  • You stage 'em...Will Blastem
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 07:55:14 PM »
When ya get yer new parts, use a little blue locktite on them threads...I'd also opt fer Wolf's heavy base pin spring, ifn ya haven't already done that, when ya put it back together. ;)

Jest my .02 worth.
You Stage 'em, Will Blastem
KC's Corral at Black Creek
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
Hiram's Rangers #25
RATS #314
Vietnam  Ist Air Cav 67-68

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:10:51 PM »

Offline Ramblin Ron

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 01:14:15 PM »
Thanks for the info on the Wolf pins. I'll have to check them out.

4/22/08 Update, Ruger replacements parts were delivered yesterday just as promised.
Concho Valley Shooters
NRA LIFE
RATS #423

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com