Author Topic: New BP Sub  (Read 6814 times)

44caliberkid

New BP Sub
« on: March 09, 2008, 08:31:55 AM »
I ran across this link in another post.  Might be old news.  This stuff is supposed to be available in March.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/blackpowder_breakthrough.htm

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: New BP Sub
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 08:57:06 AM »
Thanks for the heads up 44 Caliberkid,

I took a gander at the page.  I'm a bit skeptical of their way of marketing.  A new product needs to stand on it's own merits.  The constant trashing of another product would be an alarm bell to me.  I'll reserve my opinion till I've shot some.

We do need all the good choices we can get and this could be one more.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Cohagen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 04:19:55 PM »
Like all new products, time will tell.  If all the claims in this piece are true, could be interesting.  Nothing here on CAS preformance, sure wold be nice to see a Cowboy report.

Cohagen

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:10:53 PM »

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 04:54:53 PM »
Could be interesting down the line, I'll agree.  But in the meantime I'll continue to use Goex BP or Graf and Sons if I can find it and clean it with good old hot soapy water.

The other thing that had me puzzled reading that article is that the problems they were talking about I never had when I shot muzzleloaders.  Of course I shot percussion or flint sidelocks with lubed roundballs and they were always easy to clean, none of this crud they were talking about.  Have these inline people heard of lubes.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

44caliberkid

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 05:26:25 PM »
   Some of the "problems" they were claiming to have with other products bothered me too.  I really like APP and for makin' smoke in Schofield repros without binding them up, it works great. (no residue)  I've only used 777 in 32 and 38 S&W cartridges and it works fine in those pocket pistols, cleans up quick and easy.   I don't have any modern muzzle loaders or experience with sabot type bullets so I couldn't have an opinion on those.   
   Frankly, my favorite is still the real BP, I don't have many reasons to use anything else.   I don't have the "problems" with real black that caused companies to find a sub in the first place.   My favorite thing about black is I don't need reloading data, just fill up the case close to the top and stick a bullet in it.
   I'll probably experiment with a can of 209 when it's available, but it will also probably end up a partial can sitting on my shelf of powders with the APP and 777.  (I threw away the Pyrodex as I find it to be total crap)

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 07:35:27 PM »
I wonder if it is easy to ignite with percussion caps or must it have the heavy heat of a shotgun primer to work well? I don't use Pyro in my C&Bs because it is harder to light off and I get delayed ignition.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 07:43:12 PM »
44caliberkid,

Like you I normally prefer real BP.  One time several years ago I was at a gun shop here in Denver and the sales clerk was talking to a customer about one of the inlines and sabots.  All my experience up to that time had been either to use wonder wads or crisco in c&b pistols or to use patched roundeballs in muzzleloaders.  So I asked about cleaning these inlines with sabots and at the same time asked about lubes for them.  I was told the inlines were much harder to clean than traditional muzzleloaders with patched roundballs.  Any interest I might have had in an inline went away.  Truth be know I had absolutely no interest in an inline and still don't.

The only time I had cleaning a traditional muzzleloader was at the Border Skirmish I was at in El Centro CA in the late winter of 1988.  This is a match between two muzzlloading clubs, one in Yuma, AZ and the one in El Centro.  Fun shoot.  Anyway, there was a match where speed was fairly important, so I took my Northwest Trade Gun (20 ga smoothbore) and decided to use a trick the indians used when in battle or hunting.  They would drop powder in the barrel and then an unpatched roundball, prime the pan and fire.  I added one step,  After the ball was down the barrel I would give it a quick whack with my ramrod to seat it.  It proved to be a very quick way to load and shoot.  For every two shots anybody else got off, I shot three.  The problem was the fouling got hard almost immediately and made that old trade gun very hard to clean.

I really think the problems they are seeing are due to NOT using any kind of lube.

I have found that with BP you don't need data to reload.  I do measure when I reload (for consistancy in my loads) and with my c&b pistols I just use the spout on my powder flask.  It measures approximately 30 grains.  It is easy to pour and I get reasonably consistant charges that way. It's so easy, much easier than smokeless.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Offline sundance44`s

• SASS# 61233 and Alamo Kat SASS 79338 , ColdwaterLongRifles , HatchieRunLongRifles .NRA.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 09:18:24 AM »
One thing I like besides that warm fuzzy feeling I get from haveing a case of Black Powder at my fingertips ..I can`t go to Walmart and buy a can of Pyrodex or other Sub as cheap as I get a can of Real Black Powder buying by the case ...The subs have been going up like the price of gas here lately .
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Offline TAkaho kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 10:28:52 AM »
Forget it with percussion caps etc.

Its specificly designed for in-line shooters and 209 primers.

Best regards,

T.K.

Offline sundance44`s

• SASS# 61233 and Alamo Kat SASS 79338 , ColdwaterLongRifles , HatchieRunLongRifles .NRA.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 12:59:47 PM »
It might work in them new fangled brass cartridges though .. ;)

Offline Paladin UK

• UK`s 1st Warthog
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Have Gun.. "Might Travel"
    • White Knight Ranch... Homestead of Paladin UK
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 01:56:46 PM »
Fer Sundance.........

It might work in them new fangled brass cartridges though

Naaa, they aint never   gonna catch on!! :D

Paladin (What lurvs his C&B`s  ;) ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
 MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 02:37:42 PM »
Wellllll.........if I'm not mistaken......it sayz on the label "Cowboy Action Loads".

http://www.chuckhawks.com/blackhorn209.jpg

Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline TAkaho kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 03:02:58 PM »
Hello Cuts,

Yes indeed it does say Cowboy Action in small print down there beneath the very large 209 lable. And yes, it probably will go boom with a regular primer. But don't expect great performance or consistency. Again it was developed specificly for the in-line shooters. Remember there is a world of diffrence between a 209 primer and a rifle or pistol primer.

Also at approximatly $45.00 per 10 oz jug its a bit on the pricey side. (.625 oz. X 7000 =4375 grains/33(charge)=132.58 44 WCF cartridges

$45.00/132.58= 34 cents just for the powder. ::) I expect it will go the same way as Pinnical etal.

Best regards,
T.K.

P.S.
With over 10 ft of snowfall this year Iam ready for spring!!

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 06:40:56 PM »
Ho Takaho,

That's downright spendy.  At that price, I'd expect better performance than Swiss. ;D  I will have to test some tho.

DD-DLoS

P.S.  I'm planning a necktie party for Jimmy the Groundhog.  He predicted an early spring.  He should swing in the same tree as Algore. . .

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline TAkaho kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 07:55:15 PM »
Ho Takaho,

That's downright spendy.  At that price, I'd expect better performance than Swiss. ;D  I will have to test some tho.

DD-DLoS

P.S.  I'm planning a necktie party for Jimmy the Groundhog.  He predicted an early spring.  He should swing in the same tree as Algore. . .

DD-DLoS

DD,

Iam sueing Al for fraud. He lied.... Here I ve been driving the daylights out of the SUV and cranking-up the thermostat all in an effort to speed up the warming. I want my carbon offsets back!!

Offline sundance44`s

• Top Active Citizen
  • No Place Special , MS.
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 04:29:51 PM »
Paladin UK ..Some smart fellow once said ..and I`m not so sure he was talkin about those new fangled brass cartridges ..It`s better to have had love and lost it ..than to never have known love at all .. :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com