Author Topic: Has anyone used the 3D stamps?  (Read 8281 times)

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Has anyone used the 3D stamps?
« on: March 08, 2008, 07:08:31 AM »
Since I can't carve yet, I would like to add more to my leather work, so I would like you folks to tell me the goods and the bads of the 3D stamps? PLease

Also how come the 3D stamps are so much cheaper than the others?

I don't know what I would do with out you folks, you all are a GOD SENT :) :)

Thanks ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Has anyone used the 3D stamps?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 10:59:19 AM »
Howdy Ace. I have a bunch of the 3D stamps, and really have only played around with them. The biggest problem I have with them is that they dont leave very good impressions. They are made for a press I believe.

DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline cowboywc

• Top Active Citizen
    • Leather by WC
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 12:04:24 PM »
Howdy Ace
The reason they are cheaper is when they came out they were not made of tool steel like the stamping
tools of that time.
You can make sceanes with them or just single stamps. If I use them I will bevel them as if I had carved it.
I'll post a sample later.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:14:04 AM »

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 06:41:25 AM »
WC, I would be great full if you would post a pic and the way you do it! What if a person bought a notory stamp press, and moded it to use with the 3D stamps, I am so liminted as what I can do, untill I learn the carving aspect of leather work, and I don't know if I can do that! I cannot draw a good stick figure  :o :o
 That is why I ask you guys about them, I tried to buy some tools off of ebay yesterday early morning and the day before, I didn't get a single stamp bought :'( If you found a stamp you liked, so did every one else, and if the ship was $4.00 you pay more than new. One person bought a storage building and there had to be over 200 stamps, he was selling 5 at a time, i bid on 20 at least, every set that had at least 3 good stamps in there brung $20.00  >:( Just wasn't meant to be.

I am hopeing I will have my first set ready to post by Wensday.
Thanks ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Whiskey Creek Adams

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 07:26:24 AM »
I use them on occasion for various things.  The best way I have found to get a good deep impression is to use them with a deep throated C-Clamp (about $5.00 at Lowes) and a piece of 1/4" steel plate (about 4X4") for a backing (You could of course buy the press for several hundred $$)

Properly case the leather, clear through, not just on the surface. I have found leaving it a little on the damp side works best.

Place the backing plate on the back side of the project.

Position the stamp and slowly clamp it down on the leather, making sure the clamp does not "wonder" off the stamp.  You can use a substantial amount of clamping pressure, depending on the thickness of your leather.

This leaves a very good impression. However, if the area you put the stamp in is later wet-molded, or stretched you will loose a little of that impression.

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 08:48:57 AM »
Howdy Whiskey,
 Thanks for the heads up, you know the tool truck comes to town about 3 times a year they sell that china stuff but I think there little shop press for taking wheel bearing on and off and other things, or if a guy could buy a used one without the jack, I have several hydaulic jacks, that would work, and you would have a lot of working area, instead of the notary repuplic stamp machine.
I just don't have the gift to draw, i am going to try the tracing method on some scrap!! ::)
 I enjoy working with the leather, but it isn't like working on old guns, there are no do overs on leather! :o

you folks are great, and you just don't know what it means to me, to be able to come to a place and and ask some hard question and you folks just jump in and do your best to help anyone out :) :) i only hope that I can at sometime donate back and help others as you all have help me so much! Sometimes I feel bad that i ask so many questions, but I have no other people to ask, If I lived somewhere that you could take a course I wood, but in this town they roll up the streets at sundown.
Thanks again
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Whiskey Creek Adams

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 09:28:41 AM »
I would be leary of using hydraulic jacks for several reasons:

1. I would think they would be very cumbersome to work with.

2. They would provide little feel for just how much pressure was being exerted.

3. Possibility of oil contamination.

4. You would still need some sort of a backing plate to spread out the pressure on the back side of the leather.

You will not encounter these problems with a plain ole, inexpensive C-Clamp

Why make a rather simple process complicated.

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 12:18:11 PM »
Ace, I do use a couple from time to time but generally think most of them look like Boy Scout camp on traditional western leather.  For the most part bidding on EBAY is a loseing proposition, in my opinion.  I have never understood how one can justify bidding more for used than current new MSRP prices but that happens all to often with EBAY bidders.  Have these fokes never seen a Tandy sale paper???  As mentioned earlier the buy it now will be straightforward and you know what you are in for.  There has been someone carrying the old Hidecrafter series of floral stamping plates on EBAY recently and these do work well with just a slight bit of touch up with the knife and Lucky 7 tool set.  This will get you in the door on tooling at a rather easy pace.  I only use the actual floral plates and even then mostly use them as stand alone center pieces.  For a much cheaper price than the hobby leather presses you can get a Harbor Freight arbor press and doctor it up a bit.  The smaller ones do not have much throat but you can get by with belts and most holsters.  I like them for putting a slight amount of convex curvature on some strap buckles also.  Most of those rascals come so concaved that it would embarress the letter U.

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 01:13:43 PM »
Using the 3-D stamps is similar to using a makers mark stamp. They have a greater surface area so it is more difficult to get a deep impression. What you need to do is 1. have a good solid surface underneath your leather, like a marble slab, like you should have already. 2. Make sure you case the leather well. and 3. Use a weighted hammer. Those little wooden or rawhide pissant hammers that tandy sells just have no momentum. Buy a good weighted hammer. Hidecrafters make a good one, with replaceable rawhide tips. Or just use a small lead hammer. I made up a bunch of lead hammers when I borrowed the hammer mould from the castboolit  forum. Works pretty good. Prefer the regular weighted hammer for regular work, though.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Offline cowboywc

• Top Active Citizen
    • Leather by WC
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 03:02:15 PM »
Howdy Slowhand
The reason some of the stamps go for higher than retail is because they are the older stamps that are much
better quality. Before about 1985 all craftool stamps were made in the US of tool steel, Todays craftool stamps
are cast in taiwan.
My store is a Leather Factory/Tandy Dealer and It's sad what the tools have come down to. In my collection I have
tools from all years of Craftool production and the best are from the 50's.
WC

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 09:54:12 PM »
Whiskey, i am going to buy me a couple 3D stamps, I love the looks of Roses on aa hoslter. I will try the c clamps, I have several of those. But, I am going to either build a small press or a notary press, i saw at a flea market today,  a old can opener, that was big, and just pushed a sharo triangle blade threw it at the back, it problems was that the pressure would start at the end closes to you and less at the back.

Slowhand, I want to thank you for the tip on the Hidecrafters 3D stamps!

Slim, What about a dead blow hammer?
Wc last but not least, the older tools I know are better, the guy I told you about that sold me some stamps, they were old, and although I have most of them, I think i will go over and try and make a deal on all that he has he wants to sell, i think about 15-20.

But I did do something neat tonight, I made me 2 stamps on my own, and I feel  that if I open up my mind a person could make a lot of workable tools. I plan on going to Joplin and hit the scrap yard and pick up some brass in the form of key stock. I bought a 3 foot piece of 1/4 cold roll, and 3 feet of brass 1/4" rod. I made my first stamp with a 1/4" stove bolt you can make a lot of diff. camofloug stamps with those, also took a 16 penny box nail and made a neat looking Star. I think I am realy going to enjoy making some of my own stamps!

I hope that I am not dragging this on to much, but all I can do at this time is basketweave and some border work.

Once again, i am so greatfull for the help, and maybe more heads working together might be a gain for all of us.

Thank You
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 01:44:06 PM »
I tried my Snap-on dead blow hammer but the plastic face absorbed too much of the shock and I didn't get enough push on the tool.

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 08:23:55 PM »
Slim, Thank you! It's is like everything else that deals with pressure, you have to have a solid surface to get the best results, and i never thought about the plastic around the hammer. I made a couple more stamps today, pretty big, and I had to use my little finish hammer to get enough blow to get a good deep impression.
 Making your own stamps are pretty cool, but I think a person will make a lot of them, and throw away a lot more than he will keep.
Thanks Again
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline cowboywc

• Top Active Citizen
    • Leather by WC
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 02:22:41 AM »
Howdy
When Stamping 3-d and alpha stamps, 3 things are very important.
1: Having the leather cased right. If you leather is too dry you will beat the stamo to death and
   still not get a good impression.
   When the leather is cased right all you have to do is hit the stamp once in the center, then rock
   the stamp a little in all 4 directions
   with one blow for each.
2: Stamping block & table. I use a 1 1/2 inch granite block and a sturdy table. If the table bounces
   then you won't get good results.
3: Mallet or Maul. I have a 2lb maul from Weaver leather for geometric stamping and some alpha stamps.
   I use a 3lb ASB Maul with a Poly head from Tandy (Over priced at retail but my cost was right). 
   I don't care for rawhide mallets and mauls. Barry King makes good ones for a lot less.
Presses and clamps are ok but not need and costly in price and time.
WC       

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 10:43:59 PM »
I get good impressions with large stamps by doing it on a small anvil and using a weighted hard plastic hammer. I've also used one of those cast hammers with the replaceable rawhide ends with good results.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Buffalow Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 06:04:08 AM »
HOW HEAVY OF A LEAD HAMMER DO YOU USE
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 07:21:07 AM »
Cowboywc, where is your store located?  Are you actually Tandy or an independent who stocks their line?  Feel free to email me at slowhandbob@aol.com

Offline cowboywc

• Top Active Citizen
    • Leather by WC
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 11:45:11 AM »
Cowboywc, where is your store located?  Are you actually Tandy or an independent who stocks their line?  Feel free to email me at slowhandbob@aol.com
Howdy
We are an independent. I carry supplies from many different suppliers.
We are in Reseda, Ca.
WC

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 02:30:18 PM »
I've been using a 3 lb hammer 'cause that was the one I had at the time. I have since made some 2 lb hammers, they would probably work just as well. I borrowed the hammer moulds as a member of a bullet casting group, made me up 10 hammer heads in both sizes, with thread inserts in the heads. When I wear out a hammer head I just grab another and thread in the same handle. Used some wheelweight lead I had as the original hammer I had purchased years ago was too soft and easily damaged. The harder lead weighs the same but lasts longer. I also have one of those cast iron hammers with the replaceable rawhide heads, works worlds better thatn a regular non weighted hammer. You can let the hammer do the work while you concentrate on the design. Funny, the only reason i bought it was I was ordering some stuff from one of those companies that required a minimum order and I bought the hammer on a whim just to make the minimum. One of the best things I ever did.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com