Author Topic: I Wanted A New C&B Pistol (got 3)  (Read 4832 times)

44caliberkid

I Wanted A New C&B Pistol (got 3)
« on: February 23, 2008, 05:46:07 PM »
   At the end of January I had Christmas and birthday money burning a hole in my pocket and a bad case of newgunitis.   I have been trying to get a new Uberti 1860 Army Civilian model (047) but none of the dealers actually have one (they show them on their websites but don't have one in stock).
   Then I saw this ASM 3rd Model Dragoon on a gun auction sight.  It has rear sights mounted on the barrel, a fixed leaf and two folding leafs.  I "Asked the Experts" if this was a genuine variant and they said, yes, some dragoons did come with leaf sights, usually associated with a shoulder stock accessory.  So I bought it.  It's brand new and pretty cool, can't wait to see how the sights are regulated.   Maybe put up a refrigerator box at 100 yards.
   Then I read the article about the Belgian 1860 Army Colts in the Shootist and that being my favorite BP pistol, well, gotta get me one of those.   Saw one on gunbroker.com and won it, lot of furious bidding at the end.  Love it, really nice, has been fired, so it's a shooter. (Frankly, everything I own is a shooter)
   Then just to top things off I ordered a new 1851 Navy London from Dixie.  Always wanted one and got a little carried away with the plastic.  A 38 Colt conversion cylinder should top it off nicely.
   So now I've spent not only this years Christmas and birthday money, but next years too.   Oh, but Mrs. 44 said I could have the Belgian for Valentines Day.  Thanks honey, you're a keeper.

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I Wanted A New C&B Pistol (got 3)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 08:06:12 PM »
Interesting looking gun.
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 08:07:28 PM »
Love those leaf sights!
I wonder if anyone manufactures them as an after market item?
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:43:04 PM »

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 08:53:16 PM »
Great picture, Clint.  We talked about this gun via your IMs and it's nice to see it.  Now you just need to save some of that plastic for a shoulder stock!  ... well, maybe Christmas.

Now - where's the pic of the London and the Belgian?  :D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 09:02:06 PM »
Man, I wouldn't mind adding a set of them to my Walkers, wonder how hard it would be to mill a set of them?
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

44caliberkid

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 09:28:02 PM »
Steelhorse, I sent a bunch of pics to your e-mail, CAS city won't take files that big.  But here's some more.

44caliberkid

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 09:31:09 PM »
And another...

44caliberkid

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 09:35:51 PM »
In the above pic of the Belgian, notice the Centaur emblem on the frame, neat.  here's another of the Dragoon sights.

44caliberkid

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 09:48:22 PM »
...and one more of the Dragoon.

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 10:24:02 PM »
   At the end of January I had Christmas and birthday money burning a hole in my pocket and a bad case of newgunitis.   I have been trying to get a new Uberti 1860 Army Civilian model (047) but none of the dealers actually have one (they show them on their websites but don't have one in stock).
   Then I saw this ASM 3rd Model Dragoon on a gun auction sight.  It has rear sights mounted on the barrel, a fixed leaf and two folding leafs.  I "Asked the Experts" if this was a genuine variant and they said, yes, some dragoons did come with leaf sights, usually associated with a shoulder stock accessory.  So I bought it.  It's brand new and pretty cool, can't wait to see how the sights are regulated.   Maybe put up a refrigerator box at 100 yards.
   Then I read the article about the Belgian 1860 Army Colts in the Shootist and that being my favorite BP pistol, well, gotta get me one of those.   Saw one on gunbroker.com and won it, lot of furious bidding at the end.  Love it, really nice, has been fired, so it's a shooter. (Frankly, everything I own is a shooter)
   Then just to top things off I ordered a new 1851 Navy London from Dixie.  Always wanted one and got a little carried away with the plastic.  A 38 Colt conversion cylinder should top it off nicely.
   So now I've spent not only this years Christmas and birthday money, but next years too.   Oh, but Mrs. 44 said I could have the Belgian for Valentines Day.  Thanks honey, you're a keeper.
Gun Acquisition Syndrome....Gas
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 10:43:51 PM »
I got GAS.  Course I also had a burrito for lunch but still bought a new C&B at the gun show today. :D :D :D

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 09:15:29 AM »
Thanks for ALL the pics, Clint!

I got 'em all, including the ones you e-muled.

You should be proud of your stable of C&Bs!  Mine is only a small stable-full, but I'm proud of 'em.  I've had GAS for over 30 years now.  I kinda wish I still had ALL of the guns (C&B) I've owned over the years.

Here's a new picture of my babies: (with a few accessories)

From top, clockwise: 1848 Colt (early 2nd Gen.) 1st Model Dragoon; Iver Johnson-made Colt 1860 Army; (unknown maker, probably Italian) 1851 Colt, modified from at least 2 different guns [w/2 different serial #s] and the barrel recut to round so it now looks more like a Confederate Leech & Rigdon; and last, but not least, a cut-down (because of a major factory flaw in the barrel) Pietta-made 1863 NMA Remington.

If you're interested in edged weapons, the saber is a very nice Indian repro of an 1860 Light Cavalry saber, the skinner is a hand-made (but not by me) Green River, and the sword is - I think - an 1880s Staff Officer's sword in VERY good condition and only a couple flaws.  The same design first appeared in the 1850s, but I think mine, a McLilly - is somewhat newer.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Paladin UK

• UK`s 1st Warthog
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Have Gun.. "Might Travel"
    • White Knight Ranch... Homestead of Paladin UK
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 01:46:00 PM »
Fer SHB.......

Nice piccie, Lurv the ....`Long knifes`

Paladin (What lurvs playin Cowboy ;) ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
 MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 06:48:25 PM »
Thanks, PUK!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com