Author Topic: '73 or '60 henry  (Read 16053 times)

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: '73 or '60 henry
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008, 07:10:44 PM »
I have both a '66 and a Henry.  The '66 is amy backup.  The Henry is my main match rifle.  It's got style points galore and is extremely accurate.  What more could you ask.

Here's what I do about the hot barrel.  On hot days I use a glove on my offhand.  Others do too.  On cooler days isn't a problem.

I use a stick with a nail in it that is about three or four cartridges long as a spacer so I don't have to do the Henry hop.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2008, 07:13:10 PM »
Don't you just love this CAS?  ;D It never gets old and it takes a while to get everything... 

Who you kiddin'?  I only signed on in November, but I can tell from all y'alls' level of addiction, that there ain't no such thing as "getting everything"!  ;D ;D ;D

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline Four Eyed Floyd

• Top Active Citizen
  • Welcome to Deadwood
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 07:20:24 PM »
But still we try!  ;) I started a year ago and have 3 levers, 5 73 six guns, 2 shotguns, 2 knives, and a closet full of clothes (the wife is about to make me move to another house just to have somewhere to put all the CAS stuff) I've watched 100's of westerns, read books and any other source of historical info, and I still love it. It washes away the day to day drudgery.  :P
Glad to have you aboard and remember if it ain't fun you're doin' it wrong!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311
Scioto Territory Desperadoes

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 08:15:16 PM »

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008, 07:50:17 PM »
hOWDY BP

I still drive a '98 Chrysler (that's no longer made) 80 miles a day.  Syles points?  Not yet.  Point being that either being of limited means to not be able to afford a '73 or still having a perfectly functional '66 to need a '73, I would expect to see Henrys in 1880.

BTW, thanks alot, everybody, for making me reconsider my next purchase...  ;D

BP
Howdy BP

I guess it depends on how far you want to get into the person you are portraying, I'm not a historian but I have been around for a while , and have done a lot of reading on the old west , and it seems to come down this , just like today , there were people that had little and there were people of wealth, so it comes down to who could afford to have the best in fire arms and who couldn't , but there would always be the few that would have the best that was avaliable , even if they really couldn't afford it, having firearms back then was more important, than driving a new car is today, and even if you couldn't afford a new car , you could , maybe afford the best used car available, and I think it was a lot like this with the guns in the old west , people did there best to have the best , There would always be some that would be forced to use what ever was there to be had , just like today, I have a 1892, 1894, 1873, and I would like to have , and ptobably will have some day an 1860 and an 1866, and 1876, and 1895, but I don't think I would appreciate it as much, if I had it all right now , sometimes too much isn't a good thing, you never have time to appreciate what you have, and back to the point , I suppose if your persona was a towns person, and you weren't in law inforcement, your need for up to date firearms wouldn't be as important as a person ridding into Indian territory, or a wagon train crossing the plains.  ???

Just a Thought  ??? :o ::)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Four Eyed Floyd

• Top Active Citizen
  • Welcome to Deadwood
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008, 07:56:55 PM »
Very true and that is what makes it fun there is always something else to get and master. ;D
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2008, 08:35:59 PM »
I suppose if your persona was a towns person, and you weren't in law inforcement, your need for up to date firearms wouldn't be as important as a person ridding into Indian territory, or a wagon train crossing the plains.                                                Just a Thought  ??? :o ::)

And a very good point.  I can certainly see my townsperson persona ca 1878 rationalizing to keep the 66 since he doesn't have the compelling reason to have something more critical to his everyday existence.  But of course, like today, he'd sure spend a lot of time thinkin' about gettin' one anyway... ;D
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2008, 09:30:32 PM »
According to a biography I read on Doc Holliday he had an 1860 Henry.  At the time of the OK Corral it was basically a 20 year old design, but my guess is that it still did the job.  Also people at that time expected to keep certain things for a long time.  They were expensive.  My great grampa Gaer had two long guns near as I can figure in the early part of the 20th century in Montana.  He lived on a ranch and had an 1897 Winchester, I'm sure he got new and probably an 1894 Winchester levergun.  My cousin Chuck has the levergun and I have the 1897.

Ransom Gaer
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2008, 09:59:08 PM »
According to a biography I read on Doc Holliday he had an 1860 Henry.  At the time of the OK Corral it was basically a 20 year old design, but my guess is that it still did the job.  Also people at that time expected to keep certain things for a long time.  They were expensive.  My great grampa Gaer had two long guns near as I can figure in the early part of the 20th century in Montana.  He lived on a ranch and had an 1897 Winchester, I'm sure he got new and probably an 1894 Winchester levergun.  My cousin Chuck has the levergun and I have the 1897.

Ransom Gaer
In those days I think people held onto stuff a-lot more than now...guns cost a-lot of money and so did everything else...I think a Henry/"66" would have been used a long time...look at how long they made rim-fire cartridges and this should be a big clue. OT conversions...same thing they held onto them for as long as they could...I would like to know how long people used Cap&Ball revolvers? I bet for a long time.
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2008, 12:14:47 AM »
Another thought on the longevity of these guns.  I go to the Tanner Gun Show here in Denver on a regular basis and also the Crossroads of the West gun show.  At both I see a fair number of 1873 Winchesters for sale, many of them made prior to 1899.  Some are pretty rough, but others are clearly shooters.

I have heard some used cap and ball into the 1880's.

Ransom Gaer
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2008, 12:27:03 AM »
hOWDY gENTS

This is a dang good subject, the Avocado Kid , said he wondered how long they continued to use C&B guns , I don't think they ever stopped, I remember my Grandad and uncles talk about the guns they used back when , my Granddad said and this was in the late 1950's, that a lot of ranchers and farmer, back then wouldn't part with there C&B guns , they found them to be more accurate than the cartridge guns , and most of them made their own balls and the black stuff would last them a long time , I guess they just had to worry about the caps , he said not everybody could afford to, or found the need to change over to the cartridge firearm, but he said little by little over time they started seeing more and more cartridge guns replaceing the C&B guns, at that time trying to get replacement parts was allmost impossible, there again it's just like today , you can buy a new car, but there are still some dandy old ones out there , that are a whole lot more fun to drive, and your right Floyd , getting a new gun is just one more gun to master , and like the rest of pards I enjoy the guns I have , and I look foreward to all the new ones I have on my mine , and BP, you have the best of both worlds , you can pretty much do what ever you want , with your persona , at least in your respective time period, and thats what's so fun about this cowboy action crazyness, YA gota love it.

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2008, 12:42:55 AM »
hOWDY gENTS

This is a dang good subject, the Avocado Kid , said he wondered how long they continued to use C&B guns , I don't think they ever stopped, I remember my Grandad and uncles talk about the guns they used back when , my Granddad said and this was in the late 1950's, that a lot of ranchers and farmer, back then wouldn't part with there C&B guns , they found them to be more accurate than the cartridge guns , and most of them made their own balls and the black stuff would last them a long time , I guess they just had to worry about the caps , he said not everybody could afford to, or found the need to change over to the cartridge firearm, but he said little by little over time they started seeing more and more cartridge guns replaceing the C&B guns, at that time trying to get replacement parts was allmost impossible, there again it's just like today , you can buy a new car, but there are still some dandy old ones out there , that are a whole lot more fun to drive, and your right Floyd , getting a new gun is just one more gun to master , and like the rest of pards I enjoy the guns I have , and I look foreward to all the new ones I have on my mine , and BP, you have the best of both worlds , you can pretty much do what ever you want , with your persona , at least in your respective time period, and thats what's so fun about this cowboy action crazyness, YA gota love it.

I'm really not surprised at what you say here....it makes sense...if you had money you did the upgrade...if you didn't well,you held onto what you had really,no different than today.
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Offline Four Eyed Floyd

• Top Active Citizen
  • Welcome to Deadwood
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2008, 10:47:48 AM »
Many moons ago long before CAS I was building C&B guns and firing them. I remember back in 65 going to the Centennial in Virginia seeing a 1851 and 1861 for sale at $25 each. Of course in 65 I was 15 and $25 may as well been a million. Tried to talk my Dad into buying it for me, but alas he was still not happy about WWII and wanted nothing to do with guns no matter what they were.  :( I always regretted not getting those 2 guns (and the 58 Corvette my Dad wanted to buy me on my 17th birthday) mom said no way he'll kill himself.
Now I am back into the C&B and all thing CAS and I wouldn't have it any other way. 
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2008, 02:49:15 PM »
Many moons ago long before CAS I was building C&B guns and firing them. I remember back in 65 going to the Centennial in Virginia seeing a 1851 and 1861 for sale at $25 each. Of course in 65 I was 15 and $25 may as well been a million. Tried to talk my Dad into buying it for me, but alas he was still not happy about WWII and wanted nothing to do with guns no matter what they were.  :( I always regretted not getting those 2 guns (and the 58 Corvette my Dad wanted to buy me on my 17th birthday) mom said no way he'll kill himself.
Now I am back into the C&B and all thing CAS and I wouldn't have it any other way. 
Howdy Floyd

I'm only your senior by five years, and I remember those low prices back then, as a youngster, of ten, I used to work for my Granddad, during the summer months , and I would save my money , and always put some aside for things I really wanted, this was the start for me in collecting guns , but I never bought a gun I didn't want to shoot, I got a couple of second generation Colts back then, and then a Win. 1894, but I always wanted a Winchester 1873 , or 1860, which I never had the money for , anyone that had one wanted an arm and a leg for them , these were the real deal , they didn't start making the clons until way later, and it was just two years ago that I got the 1873 , and oh what a gun , and then last year an 1892 Hartford , also a good gun , so I guess I've waited a long time to get what I have , but it was worth it. and I'm looking foreward to some day getting an 1860 and 1866, then an 1876 and a 1895. That way there is always something to look foreward to. ;D

Offline Black River Johnny

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2008, 07:05:10 AM »
**********UPDATE*********
Well gentlemen, I have some news. I have decided to sell a small business that I have. Now this don't mean much, it amounts to what would be a large tax refund. BUT what this does mean is that I will be able to GET BOTH rifles  ;D The better have gave the ok last night. So now just have to wait till they get here and we get to load them 44-40's with the black stuff ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com