Author Topic: '51 R M cylinder swap  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Bonesteel Badger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
'51 R M cylinder swap
« on: January 31, 2008, 01:21:48 PM »
 Gentlemen,

Is it possible to fit a '60 Army 45 barrel and cylinder on a Taylor's '51 R M frame, or will I need to start with an Army frame? I'm not trying to make a 44 Navy just a 45 Thunderer Army (actually a 44 Henry flat). Would it be easier ,and or cheaper,to start with a '72 in 45?

Thanks in advance,
                                                                     Hard Luck

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: '51 R M cylinder swap
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 02:22:13 PM »
Howdy Hard Luck,
I can only speak for the Cimarrons but expect the story should be the same for the Taylors.

First, I don't think you can put the '60 cylinder on the '51 frame because of the rebated cylinder (larger diameter in the front).  The '60 frame has a step in it to allow the '60 cylinder to fit.

If you are going to want to be able to swap cylinders and barrels to get different calibers, the '60 Richards-Mason may be the most versatile, since cylinders and barrels are made from .38 Spcl to .45LC for this gun using the same frame.  Actually the 38 Spcl chambering was originally a mistake by Uberti, so I don't know if they are going to continue making that caliber or not.

The '72 Opentop is almost as versatile, but the 45LC version has different dimensions.  The cylinder pin is a smaller diameter on that caliber to allow for a little more meat in the cylinder, and barrels and cylinders from other calibers will not fit, nor will the 45LC OT cylinder and barrel fit on OT frames from other calibers.

If you just want 45LC then choose either the '60 R-M or the '72 OT in 45LC and you will be good to go.  Thunderer grip frames will bolt on to either gun.

I'm not sure I understand your mention of the 44 Henry Flat in relation to the 45LC.

Hope that helps,
Abilene

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 05:34:17 PM »
And just to pile on with Abilene,

The '72 Open Top in .45 Schofield interchanges all the other OT calibers eg: .38 & .44 unless there has been a fundamental change in the Schofield guns.

And again, no, the '60 cylinder won't go on the '51 frame.  In fact the '51s wound interchange their two calibers.  Well, sorta.  The .38 cylinder and barrel can be installed on a .44, but not vice versa.  The recoil shields are different.

If you wish to get closer to the .44 Henry Flat Central Fire, go for the '72 Open Top chambered for .44 Colt/Russian and shoot the Russian cartridge.  Very close.

Cimarron and Taylors are the same guns.  Different roll stamp on the barrel for the name of the importer.

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:45:42 PM »

Offline Bonesteel Badger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 07:34:21 PM »
Abilene and Coffinmaker,

Gentleman thank you very much for your experience and expertise. All of the research and parts lists won't cut it without the hands on knowledge.

Thanks Again,
Hard Luck

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com