Author Topic: PLEASE I realy do need advice!  (Read 7247 times)

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PLEASE I realy do need advice!
« on: January 12, 2008, 11:51:02 AM »

That brings me up to ask another question, isn't part of the sport, to change your looks (and I mean in charater) God knows I need help in the real looks!!! Or do you take on a charecter( Lets say like Doc Holiday or Wyatt Earp)  and allways dress in the mannor that person dressed like. I have been looking at every second hand store garage sales, ect, with very little luck, I wish I could just order new but, A cLINT eASTWOOD HAT AT $600.00 :o :o :o
I just ordered my open tops, and have been up since 3:00am trying figure out the cheapest holster setup I can do.
 I am thinking on buying a RH holster & a LH holster and a belt to match, then i can where it the RH on the left side and LH on the Right side, and then I could were them Rto R, and L to L,  If I buy cross draws you got to wear them that a way, isn't that right?
I would be great full for you pards input!!!!  It would be nice to have about 6 holster rigs at the same time, but It going to take me 6 years to do that
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: PLEASE I realy do need advice!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 01:34:53 PM »
This is only another newbie reply but I know what you mean . Some of this stuff is really out of the question for a lot of us .
 I think if you find some comfortable good looking clothes that pass for period then go for it .

I want to enjoy as much as I can in this hobby .

I spent 15 years in colonial re enactment till the thread counters and period police drove me and a lot of others out of the game. From what I have seen on this site ...this is not the case . I see no indication of class and social standing aloofness. It has been a refreshing process for me and I thank all those who have helped me along.

I know I'll get jumped on from those who say well ya get what ya pay for . If I could afford 300-500.00 rigs then for sure I'd have one but hope ya don't dump on me cause I don't "shine" . If you can afford it then go for it , I'll be your biggest fan .

As for the holsters I have a pair of 51 RM Navy Conversions . I  bought a basic set of cartridge belt and  cross draw RH and LH from Oklahoma Leather .
I found that the straight RH and LH worn backwards did just not lay right . I do have a single RH holster for the days I want to go 'naked'

I am still in the look for clothing . But I have to tell ya , I picked up a pair of old fashioned gray woolen pants and  a black linen dress jacket at the Salvation Army Store for under $10.00 . Old Leather Braces and buttons another $5.00 and an evening with needle and thread fixed them up fine.
Now that frees me up to spend some good cash on a decent pair of boots and a hat.
One thing I learned in my other hobby was you can sure blow a lot of money in a hurry .
I wish there had been a Forum like this one back when I started that trip.

Down the road I would like to work into a Doc Holliday look ,to me he is the essential hombre of the old west ..maybe I'm wrong and I realize Tombstone (movie) is a lot of Hollywood . But when you look at the depth of his friendship with the Wyatt therein to me lies the basis for this game.

I'd better shut up before I tee someone off .

Not sure if this answered part of your question and I hope I do not offend anyone . Take your time , read and listen and then do what you can afford that will not make you out of place at an event.

Dutchie.

"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 04:01:11 PM »
Dutchie,
The movie Tomstone with Kurt Russel and val Kelmer and Sam Elliott, ect. Remember Jingo, kept calling Doc,( Lungger), that is how I picked my nick name Ace Lungger.
 Yes I wished I had $500.00 to by a rig, I would buy 3 $175.00 rigs. I have also looked at the Oklahoma leather, and I am going to look at it more next week, but you didn't like the way the strait holsters hung, so if I am right you are wearing cross draw on both sides, with the butt of the handles facing forward!
 I wanted 51's but I couldn't find a deal on them, so I went with Taylor's 72's.
Keep in Touch
I how all your shots hit the bullseye
Ace
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:18:45 PM »

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 05:21:04 PM »
Ace
The Oklahoma x draws have a bit different angle on the holder strap which makes them hang a little different so they are a bit more manageable . The straight holsters might be ok but i did find they were more straight up if you used them on the opposite sides and backwards.

The other thing to remember is when doing a relay ya have to adjust your stance so that you are in compliance with the 170 degree no sweep zone.  It cuts down on your time but anything under 5 minutes is good for me ,,, ;D

dutchie
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 05:45:42 PM »
If you look through both the 'Historical Society' forum and the 'NCOWS' forum - you'll find a wealth of information on creating your Impression - and some very good advice on how to do it on a budget.

I strongly suggest you review them both.

Another thing - do some research at the Public Library and decide early on what time frame you want to represent - and then the assembling of your outfit will have some structure to it, and you'll be less inclined to buy on impulse.

You can begin with a very basic outfit and build from that point.

As to leather - buy the best you can afford, as your satisfaction will be greater and in the long run - your costs less.

'Oklahoma Leather' is an excellent reproduction of the type of leather you'd've bought at the time at your local Dry Goods store.

It's not 'competition leather' - but maybe money might be better spent on practice ammunition, at the beginning.

Good Luck.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 05:53:08 PM »
I would suggest rather than getting two cross-draws designed as such, you get a regular straight hang RH and a LH.
You can always wear them backwards with butts forward for 'the look', and when you get tired of sashaying or having the R.O.'s warning you to watch your muzzle, you can switch them back to straight hang with butt to the rear.
To draw from the holster when worn butt forward you need to practice pulling upwards and then pivoting the revolver around BEFORE the muzzle clears leather so that the draw is completed as if a regular strongside draw from the holster. That way there is minimum worry about muzzle control and breaking the 170 degree rule. When drawing from a holster that is built at a canted angle the muzzle is technically breaking the 170degree towards the rear of the shooter just sitting in the holster, like most modern-built crossdraws.
Many wear their sidearm in a regular straight hang but carried as a crossdraw.

River Junction Trade has some decent, historically-accurate entry-level leather. www.riverjunction.com  
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 07:48:20 PM »
All good points , I never had any complaints or problems with my cross draw ..draw.. I stand sideways to the targets draw the holster gun which is facing the targets and step with my body to square off to shoot . The gun is always pointed down range and a problem to no one. Sure it takes a few seconds to square off , but I'm not breaking any speed records anyway. Works for me . But as I said ..I'm no expert . Find what works for you.  I find as I'm a bit vertically challenged that to draw a 7.5 in bbl straight up is more of a danger .

but hay , fill your boots.

Take care
Dutchie.

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 08:50:56 PM »
What I’ve found helpful to most newcomers is attending a couple matches. See first hand what the shooters are using. If something is appealing, ask the shooter about it. They’ll tell you what it is, where it came from and, most likely, how much they paid for it.

Find out which sanctioning body’s rules the clubs they’re likely to shoot with follow. One may not be as difficult to satisfy with costuming and equipment requirements.

When one is waiting and anxious I know it’s hard to cool the heels. I’m an old, grizzled eleven year vet but I haven’t forgotten. It may be in someone’s best interest to try to hold it in another month or until those clubs’ seasons start again.

Go see. Go talk. Go early. Bring work gloves and offer to help set up. Get some face to face information. Then start looking.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 05:22:16 AM »
No truer words spoke ....................Go to some matches.   Wish someone would had told me that before I started.  Even you are not ready to shoot the match.  Go and watch, take notes, a little bit of cash..  When you finally get to shooting, nobody cares if your gun rig or your guns match. As long as your safe.

Then Like Arcey said bring some gloves.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 07:39:44 AM »
Arcey and LR ..good words  , well said.

Dutchie

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 07:42:08 AM »
Mornin' Ace,

So far I think everyone has given you darn good advice.  Thrift stores are a great place to start if you are on a budget.  Band collared shirts look period.  You can buy a pair of pants that look old and buy "batchelor buttons" from Joanne fabrics for mounting suspenders.  The buttons are a two piece affair like a rivet.  Cut the belt loops off and good to go.  If you or someone you know has access to a sewing machine, you can buy a pattern and make clothes for a very reasonable price.  This is really authentic as a pioneer family would use every bit of a bolt of cloth for the whole family.  Also consider that your character can develop a townie image for church meetins' and such and a working image for running cattle or chasing bad guys.  Don't be afraid to use a steam iron on your hat to make it "yours".   There are a lot of tricks to use.  I shoot 51 RM conversions and both a 73 Winchester and a 56-50 Spencer rifle.  My era is 1878-1884.  The Civil War Sutlers sell canteens, linen suspenders, tin cups and lots of articles to add to your persona.  Go to the CBS / Comanche Moon website photo gallery.  They did a great job on their clothing and gun leather.  Deadwood is also a good series to watch for authentic clothing, if you are not offended by the language.  I've probably bored ya enough.  Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Panhead Pete 

PS, Although Val Kilmer was the more romantic & entertaining version of Doc, Dennis Quaid's version  IMHO was probably more accurate. 

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 07:49:34 AM »
Dutchie - as Arcey and Little Rooster said - go to matches and look - plus there are local leather makers who may take a little longer than the guys on the WWW and sites like thise one - but are just as good.  You won't find them here usually - but will usually find one at almost any local shoot.

I dress as a USRCS (precursor to USCG) and wear my pistols in period Naval pistol frogs.  I have straps on them to old pistols tightly while not shooting.  They were a little cheaper than a full holster but exactly what I wanted.

That being said I have found Trailrider and Callico (both are better known for their military style holsters/belts and such but make western gear too) to be quite reasonable.  Callico sometimes takes longer - he supplies a lot of movies with their leathers and horse equipage and can be quite busy - but excellent quality.  Trailrider is the same in quality - a little quicker and a down right good guy.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Troublesome River

• SASS #69863
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 10:58:44 AM »
Howdy all,
A good way to come up with a banded shirt for your outfit, buy a single pocket button-down shirt and cut-off the collar where it folds over. sear the remaining loose threads with a match and add some period-looking buttons and there you go. As to leather, the pards on here give a lot of good advice to listen to, 'nough said-T.R. ;)
I'm too old to fight, and I'm too young to die, but I ain't gonna run!!

Student of the lost arts
Pirate of the Darkside

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 05:48:31 AM »
As was stated in the post above thrift stores are a real good place to find 1870's-1880's style shirts. It is common to find the Wah brand in thrift stores....a-lot of people will buy them for a one time party or something then chuck them....I have found many period correct shirts at thrift stores. Pants will be hard to find at thrift stores but sometimes you will score a period correct vest or waistcoat. I have found period looking Boots but again these tend to be hard to find. Another thing that happens with thrift stores is this...a sutler will go out of business and will sell off his stuff to thrift stores...I have seen this happen and you can get brand new duds for cheap. Having said all this you must put in the time to really look...I should say... really,really look... it may take months just to find one shirt but when you find it it's like finding gold LOL! ;D
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Offline Flinch Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 01:45:44 PM »
You might think about making your own leather gear...I also came from the 18th century re-enactment world and had done much leather work...but a simple rig is fairly easy to make...and lot's of fun...I end making a new one about every six months and giving away my old one...

Post a call for help and guidance in the leatherwork forum and you'll get all the help you need...

or you can ask me....

Welcome to the gang!
"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight."

- Jayne Cobb

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 06:24:21 PM »
Thanks Al and the rest for the advice, i posted to see if I can join the Storm Riders, how will I know if I make the club? I LOVE THOSE GUNS!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :) :) :)
Thanks Ace

You guys are the greatest, and I sure hope I get to meet some of you guys ;D
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com