Author Topic: Therapeutic paper........  (Read 21179 times)

Offline Uncle Stinky

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Therapeutic paper........
« on: January 11, 2008, 08:03:13 PM »
 ;D OK Gents. Is this a term from the movies (as in OPEN RANGE) or did it exsist in the language of the cowboy era West?
"When opinions get as immovable as a granite outhouse, God has a way of shaking the foundation." Baxter Black

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
Re: Therapeutic paper........
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 10:01:04 PM »
I don't know what "therapeutic paper" is but they did have toilet paper.   ;D 1897 Sears & Roebuck.  Page 23.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 10:28:25 PM »
The first producer of 'perforated' toilet paper was the British Perforated Paper Company in 1880. Falling under the term "Theraputic Papers," and originally coming in boxes of sheets, the acronym T.P. beccame widely known and "Toilet Paper" later became the proper and known term to describe what the papers were used for. Other forms of non-perforated toilet paper were available the same time and earlier, notably from the Scott brothers (Scott Paper Company) and Joseph Gayetty. Before this invention, wealthy people used wool, lace or hemp for their ablutions, while less wealthy people used their hand when defecating into rivers, or cleaned themselves with various materials such as rags, wood shavings, leaves, grass, hay, stone, sand, moss, water, snow, maize husks, fruit skins, or seashells, and cob of the corn depending upon the country and weather conditions or social customs. In Ancient Rome, a sponge on a stick was commonly used, and, after usage, placed back in a bucket of saltwater.

Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:38:21 PM »

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 12:55:59 AM »
Here's a little history for you(r) butth_ _ es!! Get the pun?!!  ;D :D ;)

http://www.toiletpaperworld.com/tpw/encyclopedia/navigation/funfacts.htm

Offline Uncle Stinky

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 07:42:11 PM »
Where else but on CASCITY History forum would you find those with such important information so necessary to us all. I commend those that have amased this wealth of knowledge and have favored us by sharing it. I'd be proud to share a four holer with all of you any day!

Regards........Stinky
"When opinions get as immovable as a granite outhouse, God has a way of shaking the foundation." Baxter Black

Offline ChefBaden

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 02:36:42 PM »
Howdy All,
I had watched the movie: "Broken Trail" and was interested in the term "Therapeutic Paper", Thank you for the history lesson.

Now for the question: Is it possible to locate a package of this paper, as I am a collector and would like to add this to one of my collections.

chefbaden@yahoo.com

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 03:15:20 PM »
The first producer of 'perforated' toilet paper was the British Perforated Paper Company in 1880. Falling under the term "Theraputic Papers," and originally coming in boxes of sheets, the acronym T.P. beccame widely known and "Toilet Paper" later became the proper and known term to describe what the papers were used for. Other forms of non-perforated toilet paper were available the same time and earlier, notably from the Scott brothers (Scott Paper Company) and Joseph Gayetty. Before this invention, wealthy people used wool, lace or hemp for their ablutions, while less wealthy people used their hand when defecating into rivers, or cleaned themselves with various materials such as rags, wood shavings, leaves, grass, hay, stone, sand, moss, water, snow, maize husks, fruit skins, or seashells, and cob of the corn depending upon the country and weather conditions or social customs. In Ancient Rome, a sponge on a stick was commonly used, and, after usage, placed back in a bucket of saltwater.

"ABLUTIONS?"

Dang, Cole, hanging out down here at the court house is improving your vocabulary a bunch.   ;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Online Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 01:23:53 PM »
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Online Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 01:28:50 PM »
I have these pictures from the 1880's in my files:

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 12:33:01 AM »
sittin in the courthouse has been keepin my butt busy

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang