Author Topic: Californey, Hoppy and ?????  (Read 4973 times)

The Arapaho Kid

Californey, Hoppy and ?????
« on: December 15, 2004, 10:11:45 PM »

Left to right:  Californey, Hoppy and...who?

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: Californey, Hoppy and ?????
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 11:32:42 PM »
Lucky Jenkins.  This time played by Russell Hayden.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 12:10:48 PM »

Rand Brooks AKA Lucky Jenkins - Actor forever immortalized for his role in 1939's "Gone With The Wind" as Charles Hamilton, Scarlett O'Hara's mild-mannered and ill-fated first husband, who also appeared as Lucky Jenkins in the Hopalong Cassiday movies as well as dozens of other movie and TV roles, and who gave Marilyn Monroe her first screen kiss in the 1948 film "Ladies of the Chorus", died September 1 of cancer in Santa Ynez, CA at age 84.
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:59:12 PM »

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 12:42:44 PM »

Guess who else was in seven Hoppy movies?
William Boyd tells this story about Mitchum and the horse, according to John Mitchum in his memoir. "Well, he mounted that pony and got thrown pretty hard. He climbed on a again and hit the dirt again. Then he walked up to that horse, grabbed him by the bridle and told him off. 'You son of a bitch! He whispered. 'I need this job so its you or me. Then Bob hauled back and whipped that pony a right hand that made it roll its eyes backward. Bob climbed on him for a third time. Rode him well for the rest of the picture."

Mitchum summed up his experience in typical fashion: "I was very pleased to work on the Hoppys, Supper on the ground, free lunch, a hundred dollars a week, and all the horse manure you could carry home." In 1943 he appeared in 19 feature films.
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 05:56:55 PM »

Rand Brooks AKA Lucky Jenkins - Actor forever immortalized for his role in 1939's "Gone With The Wind" as Charles Hamilton, Scarlett O'Hara's mild-mannered and ill-fated first husband, who also appeared as Lucky Jenkins in the Hopalong Cassiday movies as well as dozens of other movie and TV roles, and who gave Marilyn Monroe her first screen kiss in the 1948 film "Ladies of the Chorus", died September 1 of cancer in Santa Ynez, CA at age 84.

***************************************************************************************

Rand Brooks did play in the old Hoppy movies, but the guy in that picture up on top there is Russell Hayden.  I found that on a Hoppy website.  I've been looking for those Hoppy neckerchief slides...ain't found one yet!

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 07:44:19 PM »
You know Arapaho, I thought at one time somebody was advertising those. wish I could remember who and when. can't tell in the picture of Sierra Jack if that's one or not. you might want to contact him and see if'n he might be able to steer you in the right direction.......Buck 8) ::) :-\ :)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 08:12:10 PM »
Buck:  Thanks for the tip!  I shot an e-mule to Sierra Jack about that slide.  I wanna get one!

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 12:00:23 PM »
You know Arapaho, I thought at one time somebody was advertising those. wish I could remember who and when. can't tell in the picture of Sierra Jack if that's one or not. you might want to contact him and see if'n he might be able to steer you in the right direction.......Buck 8) ::) :-\ :)
I am pretty sure it is. I think it is a sheep vertabrae.

Slim

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 01:11:39 AM »
I found one of those Hoppy type neckerchief slides.  30 bucks out the door!!!  Pass!!!

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 08:48:21 AM »
I found one of those Hoppy type neckerchief slides.  30 bucks out the door!!!  Pass!!!
Find a sheep farmer. They might have some. Or maybe a slaughter house.

Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 08:50:39 AM »
Everytime I start a Hoppy movie (got 20 of 'em), my 2 year old yells, "Hoppy!"  ;D

Slim(whats a proud papa)

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 09:36:02 AM »

Slim:  No need to look for a Hoppy type slide anymore.  I found this concho on the net in a western wear store in AZ.  It's 2 inches in diameter and I can make this into a slide.

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004, 09:37:40 AM »

Slim:  No need to look for a Hoppy type slide anymore.  I found this concho on the net in a western wear store in AZ.  It's 2 inches in diameter and I can make this into a slide.
That looks great.

Slim

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2004, 09:40:18 AM »
I can make it work!    ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com