Author Topic: Restoration & Relining Originals  (Read 7978 times)

Harve Curry

Restoration & Relining Originals
« on: January 07, 2008, 04:59:29 AM »
My original 45-75 has a dark rough bore :(
I used to consider having it relined, but they have become so valuable I don't know if it would devalue or hold the same value ???
I have had two other antiques relined that were worn smooth and are now good accurate rifles. One was a abused 1873 Winchester the other abused baby is now my trusty 1881 Marlin. :)
I've read there's such a thing as rifling restoration , probably just a fancy word for reline that cost more. Anyone know?
My inclination is to leave it alone, but it would be nice to make her shoot good again, .................................
, Bill W

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Restoration & Relining Originals
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 11:22:12 AM »
Hi, Harve.

Well, I'll toss my two cents in for what it's worth!  The short answer is that it will negatively affect the value of the rifle as a collectible.  Most Winchester collectors that I have discussed this with say "don't do it."  The only exception is if the rifle is already been subjected to non-factory modification or refinish.  The model and configuation must also be considered.  Is it just a standard rifle vs a more uncommon factory option, etc. 

Then we come to your 1876 which, as I recall is a first model with a three digit serial number?  If that is true, it is very valuable, regardless of its condition - at least that's my view.  I hope Buck will chime in on this one, as he is more experienced in this area than I am!

One option might be to have the barrel removed and replaced with a new one.  That way you always can always return the rifle to it's original condition as a collectible. 
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline kurt250

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 02:18:58 PM »
yes there are several restoration companys. that restore old rifles, the value of a rifle is less then a original but if its for shooting don't worry about it. had a 76 restored looks and shoots great. be carful who you get to do your work. avoid- wind river rifle company in fort walton beach florida. i,ve been trying to get them to retun a buttstock and $1000.00 dallars of mine and they just don't answer my phone calls or e-mails. has anyone had a exsperence like this ? what do you do to get your stuff and money back?kurt250 :(

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:09:25 PM »

Harve Curry

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 02:27:22 PM »
Call their local county attorney's office. ::)

Harve Curry

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 05:04:13 PM »
Well I went ahead and reamed it ot to .470" with a high torque drill, so no going back now, gotta have it relined !

Just Kidding ;D

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 06:03:51 PM »
Har! ;D

Hey, Harve, another thought might be to call up the boys at Chaparral and see if they will sell you one of their barrels that are supposed to screw right onto the original! :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 06:45:57 PM »
It doesn't look like my opinion will make any differnce now.  As a long time collector and shooter of original 1876 Winchesters, I would have agreed with what Grizzly said in his earlier reply.  If in fact this is a 3 digit number, I would NEVER reline the bore.   I have not seen the gun, so I don't know whether it's all original or what condition it's in, but the fact is, a relined gun in any serial range is not going to increase in value like one that is untouched.  These original guns are not just fun to have and play with, but they must be considered collectors items that will continue to increase in value.  They are an investment and unlike the stock market, an original 1876 Winchester never drops in value.  Some will argue that they never intend to sell the gun.  The fact is, at some point the gun will be for sale, either by your choice or that of a family member after your gone.   Since you now have no choice but to reline the barrel, I hope you'll pick someone who will do the same bore diameter and rifling specs as in the original barrel.  Your best bet would be to ask questions before you pick a reline guy.  If you need some advise on questions you shoud ask, let me know.  It is important that this job be done right.

Adios,
Buck     

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 07:07:45 PM »
Buck, ya got to keep a sharp eye on our pard, Harve.  He's a tricky little fella! ;)
GAF

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 09:54:27 PM »
Harve,
Even though your early '76 has a dark, rough bore, it just may shoot AOK if the powder gases can be kept behind the bullet while it transverses the barrel.

About 5 years ago, a distant friend and I got together for a shooting vacation. One of the rifles he brought along was an original '76 in .45-60 that had a 32" barrel.  Unfortunately, the barrel was the worst I have ever seen....dark, very rough...even the chamber had pits deep enough that fired cases had to be removed with a cleaning rod!

Anyway, a 5 shot group at 25 yards grouped into just under 12"(!!) with all of the bullets printing sideways profiles.
I then tried a .06" poly wad under the bullet and there was a dramatic improvement.  This time the  5 shots grouped
into about 4" with the  bullet holes cutting fairly round profiles.  I then tried two .06" polyethylene wads under the
bullet and those 5 rounds impacted within a 1 1/2" circle.  :)

Since your rifle is a .45-75, I would suggest trying 1.) a 300 gr. bullet with a .06" poly wad so the wad will be retained in the neck, or 2.) the standard 350 gr. bullet with polyethylene shot buffer.....say 60 grs. of b.p. then fill the case to about 1/2 way up the neck with psb and then seat the bullet. 

You may be surprised on what your vintage '76 will do with the proper ammunition.  :)

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 10:31:28 PM »
John ... your a genius!  Great idea.
Harve, here's a method to smooth out the bore but it will not remove any pits ... http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=4959
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Harve Curry

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 10:54:03 PM »
Hey Buck Stinson,
Re-read my post on the reamer job it's a joke.  ;D  I didn't do it.
I want you to be able to sleep tonight without having a stroke or cussing my name ???
, Bill W

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 09:22:42 AM »
I must admit that you had me going until I scrolled all the way to the bottom of your post.  As w44wcf mentioned, even guns with very dark bores could be very good shooters.  I've found that shooting a very hard cast bullet .001 or .002  over bore size sometimes works very well.  If your bullet is too soft and the bore is rough, all you'll do is lead up.  Good luck.

Adios,
Buck

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com