Author Topic: What Gun have You Carried Most  (Read 15644 times)

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What Gun have You Carried Most
« on: January 04, 2008, 09:54:19 PM »
I've got a Colt Frontier Scout, .22  got it when I was 12 years old, I just turned 57, last Thursday,    I don't know how many bullets have went down the barrel,  but literally 10's of thousands.  it spits lead every direction now, al little loose on the lock up, I use it now with .22 shot to kill wild sparrows that get in the turkey houses.
knock on wood, I've never had a problem with it in 45 years, in my younger years I've fanned it everything you could think of, never a problem,
I bought 2 more of them in the 70's one same barrell length and one 7 1/2" barrell, the 7 1/2 " barrell has been cleaned through the years and shot maybe a couple of boxes through it, it has the 22 lR and 22 Mag cylinders.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: What Gun have You Carried Most
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 09:35:01 AM »
Mine is the Ruger SSM 32 Mag with the 5 1/2 inch barrel I bought in 89.  Love it, shoot it good and with my cast bullet loads it is fairly cheap to shoot and I have thousands of times.  Got a Ruger only type load with the Lyman 311316 117 gr bullet that has plenty of power most most anything I plan on shooting with it.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 12:24:23 PM »
When I take a walk in the woods, I strap on a Ruger Single-Six in .22 LR.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:04:27 PM »

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 01:53:04 PM »
5 1/2" .45 Colt SAA from 1960.

1911A1.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 08:23:10 PM »
Ruger MK 512, bull barrel, 22 LR. Thousands of rounds through it and it still keeps on ticking without a hitch. Strap it on my side when we ride motorcycles in the forest.
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Offline rowdyripley

• Citizen
  • pa its stuck!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 06:37:42 PM »
I've gotta side with slim its the SingleSix for me mine is on its third generation whore out grandpa whore out dad and now its workin on me still makes the long shots and rides the hip like it belongs. can't ask for more.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 05:12:51 PM »
Well I agree with both of you on the Single-Six, but mine just has bigger holes in it. ;D  BTW it weighs just a couple ozs less that way.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Elmer Watson

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 07:27:43 PM »
As a rookie deputy in 1973 I bought a used S&W model 36 cheif's special from my watch commander.  THE BLUING WAS SHOT BUT IT LOCKED UP TIGHT.  It rode in my panys/jacket pocket as a back up weapon on traffic stops; as my off duty weapon; and now is what I pack when I am off the ranch out and about.  The bluing is STILL shot but it carries nice and I can get off five fairly quickly.  Not fancy but a good old pard is hard to beat.  Around the ranch I pack a 4 3/4 " .22 magnum from heritage Arms.  I bought it NEW FOR $150 To play around with the .22 magnum cartridge and rather like it.
BOLD # 864
RATS # 373

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 02:41:39 PM »
In the City and around home a SIG P220 45 ACP.  Camping and hiking, Freedom Arms 5 1/2" Model 97 in .41 magnum.  Bears are not big here, but they are Bears.

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 03:25:17 PM »
It's a toss up for me , I wore a 4 5/8" barrel  45 long Colt, half of the time, and a Ruger Single Six, 6" barrel with fixed sites in 22 long rifle or 22 mag. the rest of the time.

Ten Wolves  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 12:54:38 PM »
When I'm carrying, I usually carry my  .45 Henry rifle and and my OM Vaquero .45 cailber
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Dai.S.Loe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 04:14:01 PM »
Carried for months and months and months my H&K MP5

Concealed for a very long time was my Charter Arms Bulldog .44Spl
The "Darkside" means never having to see the targets you miss.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 06:19:07 PM »
I asked myself, is he asking reenacting WAS or CWC ? So I looked at the other replies ....and saw different parameters.

For Reenacting... I carried a 2nd Gen Colt 1860 Army from 1976 to 2002 so that's the one I carried most ( and two more in pommel holsters added in early 90's)

For WAS... it's the same early 2nd Gen. now converted to 45.... that's 32 years...The other two are still C&B
The old 2nd Gen. has only broken 2 bolt spring in all those years ( that is it ! )
It's now a backup to my Type 1 Conversions ..it's earned that honored position.

For CWC... that's a bit different .... for real concealment light clothing, an AMT Backup and for Trail or heaver clothing a Med. Frame 4' 44spl. Taurus revolver..

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Buffalow Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 05:40:45 PM »
i pack a nickle 38 S&W orignal 1880's 5 shot pocket pistol 4" barrel
question : i have been wanting to renickel it but every smith i talked to said it would ruin value
well it looks pretty bad & i think renickleing would be good for maintaining the gun
its value apparently isnt much

anyway your thoughts wood be appreacted
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 07:40:33 PM »
Hello Buffalo Red

I've been told the same thing , I have a nickle S&W five shot hammerless 38, with about 75 to 80 % nickle left on the gun , I was told the gun was made in 1886, it was given to me by an old friend over 40 years ago , they say the value is any where from $450. to $700. so I just look at , wonder how nice it would look renickled, and I haven't done any thing yet. ??? great little pocket gun. ??? 8)

Ten Wolves  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Evil One

• Fire, Brimstone... Sounds like home to me
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Without Evil... How do you know Good?
    • The worlds only turbocharged pinto forum
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 11:48:48 AM »
I have carried an old Star Super A in 9mm largo, rechambered in .38 super, since 1992... when I turned 21.
I dislike being away from it. Working in Ma doesnt make that possible at the moment tho.

Jim

Offline Hank Dodge

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 03:19:58 PM »
Well....I've got a Colt 1911 .45 that's been a constant companion for the last 20 years, does that count?  I know it's not really a cowboy gun; but, I've done more working and backwoods boondocking with that shooter stuffed in my waistband than I can remember.  For me, a 1911 just has the fit and feel that works.  That old Colt has been 100% reliable and it hits what I point it at.

Hank

"Shoot them big guns.....you can see the holes better!!"

Offline piebiter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 07:18:11 AM »
A 1982 H&K P9S .45 cal. in Mitch Rosen belt slide. As for a backwoods carry, a 1977 S&W model 57 .41 Magnum in a Tom Threepersons holster fro El Paso Saddlery Co.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 05:20:40 PM »
A K Frame S & W revolver for about 15 or 16 years as a LEO, A Colt 45acp for 4 years, A S & W 9mm for 10 years, A Ruger P series pistol in 9mm and .40 cal for 3 years, and the last 5 years a Glock .40 cal.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 07:22:40 AM »
Correctional Officer, pulled the pin almost two years ago. Carry gun? Model 10 S&W in 38 Special (occasionally a J Frame), when I was on the wall add a well worn Ruger Mini 14 to that and when things were looking prickly, a good ol' Remington Wingmaster Pooolice model.

Been carrying Rugers in Cowboy Action, initially in modern with 44 mags (one BH, one Vaquero), 45 Convertibles for awhile, last year or so traditional with New Model Vaqueros in 45 Colt, recently decided to change over to Classic Cowboy and will shoot Black Powder when I finally get settled in that discipline, so I converted to 44/40 in everything, 2x new Piettas and a new 1873 rifle and my old 1866 Uberti as a back up.

Most used gun over the years? S&W 586 Distinguished Combat Magnum with a 6" Bbl. Represented the Department on many occasions with it, it doesn't look very distinguished anymore, but still shoots like a dream, even with the one wonky chamber. One day I will send it back to S&W for a new cylinder, 5" Bbl and the three position foresight and a reallllll classy blue job.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com