Author Topic: I was wondering Why?  (Read 9857 times)

Offline Mako

• Shooter of the "holy Black", Frontier Gunfighter #1, STORM, Henry 1860
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cowboying since the Mid-20th Century
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: I was wondering Why?
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 07:48:52 PM »
What a pleasant topic Ace Lungger.
I guess it is the "maturing" or "brings back memories" effect. I started shooting Uberti 1860 Armies with the holy black some 30 years ago, advanced to military type auto pistols for the next 20 years, and approached cowboy guns in general but Colt-type pistols in particular from the mid 1990s. Since about 5 years I am back full circle to the graceful lines of the good old Army 1860 Model but in the .44 Colt cartridge (con-) versions from Uberti (and from Centaure as Richards conversion soon I hope).
I just like the balance of these full size pistols, the Army grips feel good in my hands, better than the 7,5" barrel SAA-type pistols.
My 5 € cents.
Long Johns Wolf

Long John's,
Are you converting one of your Centaure pistols?
~Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 02:39:32 AM »
Mako: yes S/N 4079 is currently being converted to a Richards by Austrian gun smith Karl Nedbal. There is another thread in the STORM forum dealing with the subject. In that thread your can see a few of pics of the conversion process. Once the job is completed I'll share pics of the completed pistol.
All step-by-step pics of this Nedbal-conversion will be on the Centaure website www.1960.org once I have the pistol back in a couple of weeks.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Tennessee Hoss

• Citizen
  • I may be slow, but I'm highly inaccurate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 01:56:20 PM »
Just got a pair of '51 R&M Conversions, a sequential numbered pair of Cimarron's. I took the cylinders and barrel off and dunked them into Brownells, rust removing de-bluer, then polished the heck out of them. They don't look like chrome but they look pretty shiny. Shinier than the modern stainless guns.

Then I got a couple of Morgan Silver Dollar conchos and bent them over a pipe, and set them into the wood grips. Something like the silver snake, but it's a Morgan Silver Dollar, cost $2.80 per concho.

They came out really well, and tomorrow is the first match with them.

Hoss
SASS 20338 Life
NRA
Ocoee Rangers
Tennessee Mountain Marauders

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 08:00:20 PM »

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 05:44:27 PM »
I took the cylinders and barrel off and dunked them into Brownells, rust removing de-bluer...

Next time use vinegar. It removes blue & gives patina.  ;)

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1211
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 06:44:17 PM »
FCK,
I get the idea that he wasn't looking for a patina,  ;D

Hoss,
c'mon let's see some pics!

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2008, 05:49:49 AM »
Yeah Hoss
Pics please . I picked up a pair last month . New to this game and still new to 'my puppies' as I call em Would like to see what they would look like after your beauty treatment.

Dutchie
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2008, 11:23:49 AM »
Me to Hoss, i would like to see pic's of those babies.
Thanks for all the help Pards
Ace
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2008, 03:14:03 AM »
I have both, I have trouble getting accurate shots with my 72, probably just don't like the sights.  I shoot better with the conversions because of the longer sight plane and I've shot and still shoot a lot of percussion revolvers and they have the same sight picture.

I never was into renactment or anything like that, I only shoot CAS at the local range.  For me, I like to shoot and I love old machenery, the more complex and oddball and the more ingenuity and intricate workmanship the better.  I know the reproductions have very little hand work, but the orginals were lavished with it and I can't affor the orginals. 

The 72 was a good gun, but colt realy out did themselves with the conversions, especialy the 60 arm conversions with the rebated cylinder.  Who'd thunk it would make a good cartrige gun?

Also from what I've seen I don't think the conversion lost any arbor threads, or threads in the frame, they milled the recoil shield down nearly to the threads, then steped the arbor to hold the conversion ring on when re-installed.  Of course the 72's frame is solid and has more mass so it would follow that it's a slight bit stronger, and definatly less complex with fewer things to go wrong, but loaded with black powder and in 44 or 38 it dosen't need to be supper beefy.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com