Author Topic: The Searchers  (Read 9111 times)

Offline Judge Roy Bean

• Judge Roy Bean (U.K)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • www.laredo.org.uk
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Searchers
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 04:32:37 PM »
Ken Curtis was great in all his film & tv work,but I heard he got a wee bit of help in his first Ford film being John Ford's son-inlaw ?
And the rest is history.
Texas & Miss Lilly.
  shoot"em"first hang "em" later.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 05:42:28 PM »
This is gonna sound like a load of road apples, but I swear it's all true.

My Pa went to highschool (Hollywood High) and played on the ball team with one of the Duke's boys.  They got to be compadres and Pa spent a lot of time at the house.  All the players used to laugh at all the people who show up for the Friday night games expectin Mr. Wayne to stroll into the stands and take a seat.
     Pa did get to meet him at the house and says he was a typical father--after a while it felt no differnt then being at any of his other pal's homes.  I'm gonna call Pa and verify which son it was, he hasn't told that story in years.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Stophel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 10:49:43 PM »
I really like this movie.  It's one of the few movies that I would really like to see on the big screen.  I think it would be glorious.

The quickest reload is a second gun!

www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/Flintlocks                                                                                       
Ich bin der Weg, und die Wahrheit, und das Leben, niemand kommt zur Vater denn durch mich.  Johannes 14:6

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:24:58 AM »

Offline Uncle Eph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Never trust anything designed after 1912
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 11:09:21 AM »
to me the scene where Martha is clutching Ethan's coat while Ward Bond is standing in the backround is one of the greatest scenes ever filmed, in just a few frames without a word being said we learn so much about the backround of these people and why no matter what happens in the future all are doomed.
WARTHOG, GAF #364, SASS #53354, BOLD #549, SBSS #1483, STORM #5, NRA, CRSO, ASSRA, SDOP, SUV, GOFWG #19, 7-7-79 SNL WINNER

Offline Early Graves

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 01:49:41 PM »
Here's a thought.Could it be,that Debbie is actually Ethan's daughter(the result of a pre-war affair between Ethan &Martha)?It would explain a few things.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 03:25:43 PM »
#1 Let us not put modern day moraies on a "period piece" even to suggest such a liaison between Ethan and Martha (who is his brother's wife) ever happened is IMO "unsavory" to say the least!
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2008, 08:55:17 PM »
Uncle Eph has it right. Way back in the early 70s I was living in Scotland and there was a revival of "the Searchers" going on. One of the British critics singled out that particular scene as possibly the best, most perfectly structured scene in American cinema, though wordless:
WARD BOND sips coffee, glances up, sees:
MARTHA thinking nobody is looking, caresses Ethan's coat.
WARD BOND still sipping his coffee, stares straight ahead.
The Brit critic said that, seeing that scene, you know that there is no way on God's Earth that Bond's character will ever speak a word about what he has just seen. He said that it spoke volumes about American frontier ethics. Sometimes it takes a furriner to see what is berst in us.

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2008, 10:23:30 PM »
I gotta rent this, own it, tape it, do something.  Time for a re-examination.  Always liked it, admired it.  But it's just been a while, I guess.

Thanks for starting this thread.  I've forgotten more than I realized.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2008, 11:10:48 PM »
In my opinion, "The Searchers" is one of the best westerns ever made.  It is certainly on my top ten list and I have a long list of movies and western stars that I consider exceptional.  I agree with several who have replied to this post, when it was said that a lot of folks watch movies for the gun play and action.  There's no doubt that these ingredients are important but for me, if the movie doesn't tell a believable story, I lose interest and probably won't watch it again.    Movies like Union Pacific with Joel McCrea, Stagecoach with John Wayne, Comanche Station with Randoph Scott and Shane with Alan Ladd are just a small number of what I consider the best story telling westerns.  If you watch these movies enough times, you can crawl inside them and feel what the characters are feeling.  Now that's a movie.

Adios,
Buck

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2008, 10:33:07 AM »
#1 Let us not put modern day moraies on a "period piece" even to suggest such a liaison between Ethan and Martha (who is his brother's wife) ever happened is IMO "unsavory" to say the least!
When I wrote the above, I did not mean to suggest that there was nothing between Ethan and Martha before the war, it is very possible that they may have been courting;  what I attempted to get across was that while it was possible; it was most unlikely that Martha or even Ethan given the morals of the time, would have ever considered much less actually have sex outside of wedlock! That at least is my opinion.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com