Author Topic: Your job - Re-cast Gunsmoke  (Read 9917 times)

The Arapaho Kid

Re: Your job - Re-cast Gunsmoke
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2004, 05:18:31 PM »
Here's Gabby:
Biography for
George 'Gabby' Hayes

Birth name
George Francis Hayes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mini biography
As a young man, worked in a circus and played semi-pro baseball. Appeared in vaudeville and on the legitimate stage, primarily in stock companies. Retired in his forties, he lost much of his money in the 1929 stock market crash and was forced to return to work. Had made his film debut prior to the crash, and continued working steadily until his second retirement in his late sixties. Gained fame as Hopalong Cassidy's sidekick Windy Halliday in many films between 1936-39. Leaving the Cassidy films, he was legally precluded from using the "Windy" nickname, and so took on the sobriquet "Gabby", and was so billed from about 1940. One of the few sidekicks to land on the annual list of Top Ten Western Boxoffice Stars, he did so repeatedly. In his early films he alternated between whiskered comic relief sidekicks and clean- shaven bad guys, but by the later thirties played almost exclusively as a Western sidekick to stars such as John Wayne Roy Rogers and Randolph Scott. After his last film, in 1950, he starred as the host of a network television show devoted to stories of the old West for children, "The Gabby Hayes Show." Offstage an elegant and well-appointed connoisseur and man-about-town, Hayes devoted the final years of his life to investments.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMDb mini-biography by
Jim Beaver <jumblejim@prodigy.net>

Spouse
Olive Dorothy Ireland (1914 - 1956) (her death)
Dorothy Earle (née Olive Dorothy Ireland) (1914 - 5 July 1957) (her death)

Trade mark
Catchphrases "yer durn tootin" and "young whipper snapper"

Trivia
Wife Dorothy Earle is buried at Forest Lawn, Hollywood Hills. Court of Valor, L-4972 (her grave is unmarked)

Though a long time Western star, he had not learned to ride a horse until nearly 50 years of age.

The hero of "Gabby Hayes Comics", a comic book of the 1950s.

In real life he was the exact opposite of the characters he played on film. He was well read, well-groomed, serious and highly philosophical.

Western sidekicks Gabby Hayes and Smiley Burnette were so popular with audiences that they consistently placed in "top 10" box-office cowboy star polls alongside Gene Autry and Roy Rogers..

Inducted into the Hall of Great Western Performers of the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in 2000.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2004, 10:09:20 AM »

Sam Noonan (bartender) aka Glenn Strange

I have a bunch of old westerns('30's & '40's) on DVD. I kept seeing him in Roy Rogers movies, Hoppy movies, Jim Bowie series, etc. I couldn't figure out where I had seen him before until this thread got going and I found pictures of the cast. It has been many a year since I saw a Gunsmoke episode.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2004, 10:13:02 AM »
Glenn Strange played a heavy in alot of Republic's B westerns over the early years.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:15:57 AM »

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2004, 11:17:31 AM »

Here's another shot of Glenn Strange with Tex Ritter.  Obviously Glenn  is the "bad guy" 'cause he's wearing a black shirt!

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2004, 11:20:11 AM »

Here's another shot of Glenn Strange with Tex Ritter.  Obviously Glenn  is the "bad guy" 'cause he's wearing a black shirt!

Tex having his gun in Glenn's back seems like a hint too.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2004, 11:25:10 AM »

Glenn wasn't totally locked into Westerns!  Her he is playing Frankenstein and making off with a mermaid! She doesn't seem to be too frightened here!  Glenn made several Frenkenstein movies.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2004, 11:35:10 AM »

Glenn wasn't totally locked into Westerns!  Her he is playing Frankenstein and making off with a mermaid! She doesn't seem to be too frightened here!  Glenn made several Frenkenstein movies.
One was an Abbott and Costello movie.  ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2004, 08:49:08 PM »

Talking about James Arness.

Here is the link to his Christmas Greetings:

http://www.jamesarness.com/greeting.html
Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Offline Col. Riddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Whar's thet dadblasted Yankee?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2004, 08:05:37 AM »
 Matt Dillon --- Tom Selleck  Miss Kitty  --- Traci Needham  .... or 2nd Dolly Parton   Doc  ---  Buck Taylor  Festus   ----  Barry Corbin  Sam the Bartender ---  Wilford Brimley[/b]
God answers knee mail † ><>
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com