Author Topic: Ruger Vaquero/ new vs old model  (Read 46379 times)

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
Re: Ruger Vaquero/ new vs old model
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 08:19:37 AM »
Does anyone know of a good legit website where I can purchase an old vaquero??!!  I know they have been discontinued, and I need help!

They're all over the place at gun shows or check gun broker.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Cookie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 10:02:09 PM »
     I am new in these parts.  And now with hat in hand, I kindly ask what is IMO?

Leo

IMO = In My Opinion

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 08:22:46 AM »
I'm an "Old model Vaquero" man myself.  I own 4 - a Bisley Vaquero with 5.5 inch barrel, blue/CC finish, which grip wise, at least, is more like an Elmer Kieth #5 than a Colt Bisley.  A Birds Head Vaquero with 3.75 inch barrel in SS finish and a pair of standard Vaqueros with 7.5 inch barrels in SS finish, (see avatar pic over there <---- ).  All are caliber 45 Colt and I love 'em all.  Having hands slightly larger than normal the old Vaqueros just fit my hands better.
 8)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:49:24 PM »

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 01:40:18 PM »
I'll stay with the Old Model Vaquero. I like knowing that that big sixgun has the strength of the Blackhawk when it comes to the heavy loads.

A work in progress.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 06:52:03 PM »
Depends on what you want to do with them.  If you want a 44 Mag OM is the only choice.  If you want a steady diet of full house loads, the larger cylinder in the OM is stronger.  If you don't want a 44 Mag and will not try to turn a 45 Colt into a 44 Mag there is nothing wrong with the New Model, which is both smaller and lighter than the old model.  Being a Ruger it will still be over built. Kinda like comparing a 3/4 ton truck to a 1 ton.  For most apps the 3/4 ton will work fine, for really heavy hauling you need the beefier truck.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 07:05:47 PM »
I have to say I'm partial to the old model I have two and wouldn't trade any one of them for even a Colt Old Army (if that is the correct designation).
 I just think Rugers are the best revolvers for the price on the market today and the older ones are built stronger than the more recent revolvers offered by Ruger Of course The Red Hawks and the Black Hawks are a whole nother issue I talking "Vaqueros, vs. Colts"
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Burt Blade

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2012, 08:59:24 AM »
The original Vaquero is larger than the New Vaquero. If you have large hands, you will most likely prefer the original version. I put oversized grips on a pair of my original Vaqueros, so you can tell my preference.   ;D

The hammer spur on the New Vaquero is lower, making it easier for the average shooter to work the action without shifting grip. I have no trouble at all working the original style hammer. The first time I tried to work a New Vaquero quickly, i wound up jamming the hammer spur into a joint on my thumb. Ouch. 

I much prefer the originals, but I would appear to be in the minority. (Far closer to Hoss than Little Joe)

And the previous observation is spot-on. Ruger listened to the Cowboy community, and made major changes to their Vaquero. Now a bunch of us grumble about "newfangled".

I would buy the New Vaquero. But I miss the one revolver I did not have to re-work to make fit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com