Author Topic: Frontier Action Shooting in BC  (Read 91572 times)

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
Re: Frontier Action Shooting in BC
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 05:54:10 PM »
Here is the link to a schedule of BC, Alberta, and Washington State shoots;

http://www.rustywood.ca/rmr/schedule.html
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Cariboo Lefty

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 10:38:36 PM »
The Heffley Ceek Gun Club has a new website heffleycreekgunclub.com. The entry form for this years Palmers Gulch Match is now posted. You can delete the WCFSS website as it no longer exists.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 09:46:21 PM »
News from the Victoria Frontier Shootists;

Cowboy Action Shooting:
In June the Victoria Frontier Shootists hosted a dozen girl guides at the range for an Introduction to Cowboy
Action Shooting. The young ladies had a chance to shoot pistol, rifle and shotgun. At least one of the young
shooters has been back for other shooting events.
On July 3rd one of our members, Joleen Wilson aka Victoria Diamond, won Lady Top Gun at the Cowboy
Action Shooting BC Provincial Championships in Kamloops. Congratulations!
On July 9th more than a dozen joined us for our first annual Wild Bunch Match. This is a new cowboy action
shooting sport based on the movie "The Wild Bunch" where we shoot a 45 calibre 1911 pistol, 40 calibre or
larger lever action rifle and a 12 guage '97 shotgun. Three categories are offered, Traditional which is shot
one handed with an original spec 1911 A 1 pistol, Modern which is shot with a modified 1911, and our own
Victoria Frontier Shootists' category of Outlaw where you can shoot anything that looks like a 1911 pistol,
any pistol calibre lever action rifle and any shotgun.
The SASS Range Operations I Course for cowboy action shooters will be held on Friday September 2nd
8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the main club house and will be taught by Al Wilson, SASS Black Badge Instructor. Cost $15. Course registration forms available through Terry Parkinson tdparkinson@shaw.ca, (250)
652-5603. For further information contact Al Wilson aka Haweater Hal 250 920-8707.
Our annual Headquarters Match will be held on September 3rd and 4th. This will be the 20th anniversary
for this fun event and spectators are welcome. Shooter registration forms available through Terry Parkinson tdparkinson@shaw.ca. For further information contact Gary Kangas aka Grey Fox
at greyfoxmissmspencer@yahoo.ca 250 474-3244.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:55:26 PM »

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 02:47:46 PM »
A reminder.  There is a limited entry for only 50 competitors.  I can't post the registration form, but call and it will be emailed to you.  Or, if you PM me with your email address, I can send it to you.

"Howdy everyone,

Just a reminder that the deadline for registration is coming up.
If you are planning on attending and have not yet registered, please get your form and payment into Colorado Charlie ASAP (250 652-5603). Registration Form is attached.

Al Wilson aka Haweater Hal"

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 11:24:07 PM »
Here is a cut&paste from the poster;

VICTORIA FRONTIER
SHOOTISTS
of the VICTORIA FISH & GAME PROTECTIVE ASSOCIATION
700 Holker Place, Malahat Dr.
(Across from Spectacle Lake Turn off )
Invitation to Attend Victoria’s First
WILD BUNCH MATCH
Sunday September 11th, 2011
Four Stage Match to be held at the Multipurpose Range (turn right at the sign-in kiosk)
Lead Bullets Only
Minimum ammunition required:
pistol 70 rounds, rifle 40 rounds,
and shotgun 24 rounds.
8:00 A.M. Set up and Registration
8:30 AM Safety Meeting
Shooting from 9 a.m. until noon.
Cost $20. Water provided. Please bring your own lunch and other beverages.
Rules can be found at:
http://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/RO/SASSWBHandbook_OCTOBER_2010_final.pdf
There are three categories Traditional, Modern and Outlaw.
Traditional is shot one handed and requires a 1911, 45 ACP pistol with no match triggers,
hammers or beaver-tail safety. As well, a 40 calibre or larger lever action rifle and a 12
gauge Winchester ‘97 shotgun.
Modern is shot two handed, has the same requirements as Traditional and allows more
modified 1911s.
Outlaw is not an official Wild Bunch Category.  You can shoot any semi-automatic pistol,
any lever action pistol caliber rifle and a model 12 or a model ’97 shotgun in any gauge.

Please come at 8 A.M. to help with set up and register.
For more information contact the Match Director Haweater Hal at (250) 656-2520 or
Haweater.hal@gmail.com

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 10:00:48 PM »
I didn't make it myself, but I heard it was a great success.  With a limit of 50 competitors, they actually acquired 60! The best turnout ever.  here is Grey Fox's report;

Carl:
Greetings from Liberty Ranch.

Lady Shootist Victoria Diamond wins Top Gun!  First woman shootist to garner the honour at Headquarters. The Victoria Frontier Shootists of the Victoria Fish & Game hosted  Headquarters 20th Annual September 3rd & 4th 2011. A vibrant and action packed weekend highlighted by Tex and Cat Ballou representing the Single Action Shooting Society based in New Mexico. Tex presented the shooting competition certificates and awards. Multiple participants have been quoted "the best ever". Headquarters was a 10 stage Cowboy Action Main Match Saturday all day and Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon, Cornelius O'Keefe from Germany conducted the mid range and Scheutzen Rifle Competition. The Scheutzen was won by 15 year old Six Gun Simon. Headquarters is the oldest SASS affiliated match in Canada. The event was topped off by a steak bar-b-que on Saturday and a Gala catered dinner on Sunday evening. Headquarters marked 30 years of Cowboy Action Shooting, 25 years of Cowboy Action Shooting in Western Canada and 20 years of Headquarters as an event.

Best regards,
Grey Fox

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 09:33:41 AM »
The Victoria Frontier Shootists:
The Frontier Shootists will hold their annual Bunkhouse Match on October 23rd.
The day will include 6 stages and lunch for $30. Registration forms will be available
shortly.
For further information please contact the Match Director, Terry Bowyer aka Neut Reno
at neutreno@shaw.ca

Offline Crotchety Old Grouch

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 02:17:35 PM »
  Was just trolling around the SASS Annual match schdule for next year and saw that next years (2012) Headquarters match in Victoria is titled, "Pig War At Solmonella Gulch".  It will be interesting to see the stages Grey Fox comes up with considering the historical referance.  The following weekend the SASS Canadian Championship will be at Courtenay.  Guess I'm gonna have to make another trip up north

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 02:59:01 PM »
  Was just trolling around the SASS Annual match schdule for next year and saw that next years (2012) Headquarters match in Victoria is titled, "Pig War At Solmonella Gulch".  It will be interesting to see the stages Grey Fox comes up with considering the historical referance.  The following weekend the SASS Canadian Championship will be at Courtenay.  Guess I'm gonna have to make another trip up north

Hedley Lamar & Lou Graham provided the inspiration.   We would love to see a strong contingent show up to assist Captain Pickett.  There will be a German representative there to resolve any disputes!  Courtney is about a two hour drive to the North of Victoria, and there are plenty of sights to fill the dead spots between the two events.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 12:05:15 PM »
The Victoria Frontier Shootists, will start off their 2012 cowboy action shooting season with their Malahat Ridge Match
on Sunday February 12th. This will be a 6 stage main match and include a delicious lunch. Cost $30. For more information contact: Match Director, Dave Degrassi aka Copperhead Dave at davedegrassi@shaw.ca and Registration, Terry
Parkinson aka Colorado Charlie at tdparkinson@shaw.ca. Those interested in learning more about the sport please
contact Cowboy Director, Ashley Harrison aka Black Ashley at ash_man@shaw.ca or (250) 744-4705 . Spectators are
welcome. Eye and ear protection is mandatory.

The SASS ROI (Range Operations I) course for cowboy action shooters or those interested in Cowboy Action Shooting
will be held on Saturday March 10th from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Rifle Range House. Cost $15.00. Please bring your
own lunch. Coffee and soda pop will be available. Single Action Shooting Society (SASS) membership not required.
SASS information, membership and handbooks can be found at www.sassnet.com . Please pre-read the SASS
Shooter’s Handbook and the SASS ROI Course material prior to the course. Pre-registration required. Contact Al Wilson aka Haweater Hal at Haweater.Hal@gmail.com.

Headquarters, our annual shoot, will be held August 24, 25, & 26th this year. This year's theme will be The Pig War at
Salmonella Gulch. The registration form for Headquarters is included in the February newsletter. This is a great opportunity to prepare for the SASS Canadian National Championship to be held in Courtenay from August 30th to September 2nd, 2012 www.valleyregulators.com . Mark these dates on your calendar

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 02:53:39 PM »
Pig War, you say .... I've been reenacting the Pig War at San Juan Island National Historic Park for years. Can't remember ever seeing a single action revolver or lever action rifle ..... lots of Enfield MLs and other period guns.

Our home club has decreed that anyone shooting from the leather indoors needs take a basic course before being allowed to. This for insurance reasons, we're told. It is mainly aimed at the SA auto types, but would apply if you wished to shoot a revolver indoors from the leather. The requirement does not apply to the outdoor ranges ... duh ..... ;>)

It has always bothered me that unlike IPSC, CAS has never had a holster qualification course requirement. People can just show up and shoot. We have a couple of people that are downright scary gun handlers at times! It's a trial for ROs who cannot presume that these folks won't do something unsafe.

I am proposing that henceforth, we extend the rule to the outdoor ranges, and EVERYONE who intends to shoot from the leather on club property will be required to take the training. We require eye and ear protection as mandatory, so why stop there? The moment there is an incident, a Coroner's inquest will ask the question - "Why only on the indoor range?" So will the insurance company.

This will put some noses out of joint, as it is next to impossible to tell a male past puberty anything about gun handling. The older the person, the more resistance. He's seen the movies and knows all about it .....
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2012, 04:18:11 PM »
PJ
Interesting proposal I'll watch to see how it plays.
The 'holster' course you speak of , is there anywhere a person could view the requirements and or course content.
To keep on topic , my reason to ask is in view of pending trips west in which I would like to steal away for some shooting.
Appreciate any responses.
dutchy
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2012, 07:48:44 PM »
Dutchy

It won't be a Cowboy version of the IPSC Black Badge course, but it will cover:

- straight finger draw & reholstering
- cross draw technique
- trigger and site acquisition on the way up
- maintaining safe muzzle direction
- movement

Course requirements will be an open mind, the willingness to learn and the 'spirit of the game' to follow instructions on the range.
I think you probably qualify.

This is just my pipe dream at the moment. I can't make the motion until the next club meeting and I need some feed back from the CAS section.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2012, 08:16:57 PM »
Great
Keep us posted. I just came home from the usual blood boiling Annual Meeting at one of our gun clubs . One of the topics which ws put out for discussion was range safety .
Tks BC shooters for the use of your section   8)

dutchy
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2012, 11:04:46 AM »
Dutchy

What was the safety concern issue? Was it the old "you guys shooting from the leather are bad ..." ? Maybe we can learn something here.
When push comes to shove, the safety aspect always prevails. The adage " ... if it saves even one life ...." is hard to refute.
That makes a good case for holsters on a range, as it prevents unauthorized tampering.

At a club in the interior of BC an IPSC shooter got so annoyed at the casual gun handling of visiting trap shooters that he sat on the clubhouse steps with his 1911 in his hands - slide forward on an empty chamber, no mag. The trap boys were also indulging in hot toddies between rounds as was the custom.
Push came to shove and the matter went to a special meeting. It was decided that the trap shooters HAD to clean up their act with regard to gun handling and NO drinking was allowed until the last shot was fired. It put some noses severally out of joint, but who care?

Offline Kananaskis Kid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2012, 12:11:21 AM »
The 2012 SAS Canadian National Championship, Bustup at Boomtown, will be held at the Courtenay and District Fish and Game Association CAS range August 30 - September 2.  A registration form and additional information have been posted on the Valley Regulators website - valleyregulators.com.

Kananaskis Kid
Match Director
"Let 'er buck!"

SASS #62402
SBSS #1769
S.U.D.D.S. #402
PWDFR #21
RATS #182
BCWF # 73988

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2012, 09:03:14 PM »
Here's a link to picture I took at 20th Anniversary shoot at Palmers Gulch.

http://crotchetyoldgrouch.smugmug.com/CAS/Palmers-Gulch-20th-Anniversary/23936940_nV8tKX#!i=1942194826&k=q5B6rWS   

Had a great time with great people,  even meet PJ Hardtack in his skirt.

Looking forward to the next trip north.

Cog

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2012, 10:57:32 AM »
Cog

SKIRT!!!  I'd think you were a Sassenach if I didn't know better. It was a joy to wear my registered family Tartan. Next year I'll shoot in my Fenian mercenary/Irish Brigade outfit - if it doesn't rain.

Goodtameetcha at the Gulch! And all the guys I started with 20+ years ago. With the number of 'absent friends' we heard about, it's good we had a reunion now. We're spread all over the Colony these days and only see each other at events.

Thanks for the great photo coverage of the shoot. I learn a lot from the pics of shooters in action and I'm glad to see that I practice what I preach when it comes to shooting style. You got me shooting 'double duellist' several times; first time I ever tried it. I may stick with 'Frontiersman' for the rest of the season.

'Miss Cara Boo Belle' just reminded me that your pics did not include the one of the costume prize winners.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2012, 11:11:42 PM »
You mean this one?

I like this one better.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2012, 12:35:26 PM »
Skirt, indeed!   >:(

When PJ and I finally get the opportunity to meet in person, we are likely to be attired in similar ancestral/historical fashion .....

PJ may not be a big lad, but I know he is 'verra feisty' indeed .....  whereas I stand a full 28 hands tall, weigh in at 20 stone, am rather bad-tempered and prefer to go fully armed .... so, if present on the occasion of PJ and I meeting, you may wish to avoid envious Sassenach references to the fealeadh beg as a skirt .....   ;)

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com