Author Topic: Submerged Object  (Read 6096 times)

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Submerged Object
« on: November 12, 2007, 03:38:05 PM »
A small cruise ship hit this thing last week.

Any of our naval historians have an idea of what it may have been?

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=136735&ran=238359&tref=po
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Submerged Object
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 04:36:13 PM »
Having read the article - the thought that it's a part of an old blockade chain seems to be pretty much on target.

That it was found where it was - would seem to be further proof.

No doubt someone from the Army's or Navy's Historical Department will be looking at it with a far better answer.

Things like this were built as needed - and if a part of the harbor defense - Army Engineers may've built it.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 05:00:44 PM »
Most likely some of the wood experts will be able to tell about when the trees were cut down by cutting sections out at looking at the pattern of the growth rings.  Have to say, part of the CW bloackade seems the most logical.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:58:27 PM »

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 09:34:39 AM »
I remember reading of a blockade chain across the Elizabeth during the war.  From Fort Norfolk to Hospital Point on the Portsmouth side.  The only detail I recall was it was composed of bound timber.  That would fit. I don’t recall mention of a method of disposal of the elements following the war.

There are photographs of beached ships being burned to the waterline during that period.  The CSS Virginia was destroyed by fire.  Perhaps the object escaped that fate.

I’m sure someone from the Mariners’ Museum will examine the thing and date it. If it may have been a piece of the chain it would make a nice addition to the USS Monitor Center.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 10:02:16 AM »
I was thinking the same thing, Arcey. A CW era blockade device would probably make the most sense. It may have finally broken loose from whatever mooring it had and then lodged there. It's probably pretty waterlogged, accounting for some of it's weight. As it dries, it may start to fall apart. anybody know of any archived pictures of the blockade chains?........Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 06:51:04 AM »
Howdy!

If they determine that it IS part of a blockade device or perhaps a floating dock that was from the Civil War, and no museum or naval organization wants it they could get rid of it this way.  Supposing it has no real value and is simply going to be scrapped, they could cut it up into smallish chunks and sell it.  I'd bet they'd be surprised at the amount of pieces they'd sell - look how popular old gym floors are selling when they tear down an old University gymnasium and sell it to their students, alumni and others.

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 12:28:29 PM »
Thanks for the follow-up, Arcey........Buck 8) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 12:33:35 PM »
Would you still walk a mile for a Camel?

Thanks for the follow up.  More info that'll get stored away and clutter up my brain.  ;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 11:44:33 PM »
Forty Rod,

Poor little you! :o ;)  Got yer head cluttered up with all this useless knowledge.  I am so fortunate to have a mind like a steel sieve! ::) ;D ;D  Some things don't even slow down on their way through!! ;) ::) ;D  Heck, some days I can't even find my mind to start with! :o :o :o
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 04:24:24 AM »
Forty Rod,

Poor little you! :o ;)  Got yer head cluttered up with all this useless knowledge.  I am so fortunate to have a mind like a steel sieve! ::) ;D ;D  Some things don't even slow down on their way through!! ;) ::) ;D  Heck, some days I can't even find my mind to start with! :o :o :o

Whut??   ???

I'll be jiggereed.  (Ya don't hear that much anymore.)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com