Author Topic: Clothes fer a big fella  (Read 7508 times)

Offline fat fred

• Blackfoot Bart
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Clothes fer a big fella
« on: November 02, 2007, 01:01:09 PM »
Howdy all,
Trying to assemble an outfit. Having trouble finding anything authentic looking enough in my size.  The big and tall stores I use have "western" shirts, but they aren't cowboy western, and don't really look all that western to me.  The old west outfitters I've found so far only go up to 3x or 4x. I need 6x, as I am a rotund example of fine cowboy livin  ;).  Any ideas or help for the rally big stuff ?

Thanks all
Blackfoot Bart, SASS # 77977

"When you have to shoot, just shoot, don't talk!" - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Clothes fer a big fella
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 01:19:56 PM »
You might try calling River Junction to see if they would be willing to make some stuff up for you speical.  I know they do alot of semstress made clothing.  Seems to me all it would take is more fabric to make what you need.  It will cost you some bucks, but I am sure it can be done.  Regards. Deadeye.

http://www.riverjunction.com/index.html
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 11:32:49 AM »
You may want to try Terry's Sewing Shop in Viroqua, WI. She makes Old West and Civil War clothing. She has peddled her wares at some of the shoots I've attended and she has been at the NCOWS convention also. Her phone number is 608-637-3890.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:22:15 PM »

Offline MONGO-AZ

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 04:20:08 PM »

Offline fat fred

• Blackfoot Bart
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 10:57:32 PM »
Thanks All for the info.  I stopped by our local corral west store, and they had some cowboy clothes, and tried a 4x shirt there, and it actually fit.  So now I just need some trousers (Don't really want to go without those  :o).  I'm definitely going to call some of these places to work on it.  Thanks again Pards!
Blackfoot Bart, SASS # 77977

"When you have to shoot, just shoot, don't talk!" - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Offline Gold Canyon Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 06:42:14 PM »
A whole lot of cowboys buy jeans that are colored (i.e. black) and remove the belt loops and sew on suspender buttons. That way you get a zipper which no one can see anyway and have a comfortable pair of pants to wear.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 06:46:39 PM »
Or, you could get some Levi 501's with the proper button fly! :o ::) ;D  To be even more PC, take the left pocket off before they get washed.  Will be real PC then!

James Country Mercantile will make you pants to measure and they are great to work with.  Call Mon., Wed., or Friday and ask for Jean.  She's a peach! ;D ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 07:01:04 PM »
Frontier Classics makes up to 54 waist, I have a few in stock, send me a PM.  One must keep in mind they come much higher on your body than modern jeans so you have to allow for being bigger up there than you are where modern jeans ride.

As for comfort, worn and fitted proper with suspenders you will wonder why modern pants were ever invented, that's all I've worn for years and will not wear modern jeans again.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 08:26:54 PM »
A whole lot of cowboys buy jeans that are colored (i.e. black) and remove the belt loops and sew on suspender buttons. That way you get a zipper which no one can see anyway and have a comfortable pair of pants to wear.
To make them even more historically correct, remove the left rear pocket before the first wash. 505's have a zipper, 501's have buttons.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 07:33:01 AM »
Not to take away any sources or ideas given above.. but the is another lower cost option....

There is an Amish outfitter that has fly front broad-fall trousers in up to 56 and will make larger on order... in Corduroy, canvas , or wool
colors are on the drab side ( blues, greys , and I think dark Burg. , canvas is in black, grey and natural which you could dye)

If that appeals to you I'll look for the address... :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 08:19:07 PM »
Major, I'd like to have it because if I can't supply someone with something I like to be able to direct them and I get guys asking for the broadfalls and other stuff these folks may be able to supply.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Cuzzin Jack

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 10:18:22 PM »
Type plain dressed on your search ad you'll see the Amish web site.      Cuzzin Jack
Sgt. Company A 8th Cavalry- Never start a vast project with half vast plans

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 06:02:16 PM »
Here you are Del.

Gohn Brothers
P.O. Box 1110
Middlebury IN  46540-0111
(219) 825-2400.....1-800-595-0031

Plain Dressed is out of Business..at least for the forseeable future

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 07:48:33 PM »
Or, you could get some Levi 501's with the proper button fly! :o ::) ;D  To be even more PC, take the left pocket off before they get washed.  Will be real PC then!

James Country Mercantile will make you pants to measure and they are great to work with.  Call Mon., Wed., or Friday and ask for Jean.  She's a peach! ;D ;D

I can tell you that the 501s probably won't work as the legs are cut too slim.  I did a lot of bicycling up until 2000.  I had a 32 waist in the 1990's but had to get my 501s with a 34 waist so my legs would fit.  I never thought much about it until around 2000 when I started taking a medication that packed on quite a few pounds.  When I first started gaining weight, I stopped wearing jeans but after a while, I wanted to have another pair of 501s and finally realized what was going on.  34s on a 32 waist looked OK, but 38s on a 36 did not look good anymore.  Now I wear a 44 in dress slacks and don't even look at the 501s anymore. :(

Like Del said, the cowboy britches are so much more comfortable than the modern day offerings.  If I could get away with it, I'd probably wear them all the time too. ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com