Author Topic: Straight Hang as a Cross-draw?  (Read 2459 times)

Offline The Ok Kid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Straight Hang as a Cross-draw?
« on: October 07, 2007, 02:55:16 PM »
Howdy,
I read something on here about this before stating that you can wear a straight hang as a crossdraw, but was looking for a little more info.  Was wondering about the advantages/disadvantages to doing so, and why folks who did this preferred that over a crossdraw.  Any general stuff, as my pa Ruthless Ron was interested in doing this with a Desantis pair of straight hangs we had lying around and wanted me to ask y'all about preferences.
Thanks

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Straight Hang as a Cross-draw?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 03:17:31 PM »
It's what I do,  reasons to use the straight hang for cross draw:

Can use different holsters for different guns on either side. 
Don't have to "twist" as much to keepf rom breaking the 170 when drawing cause the barrel is pointing down instead of beck. 
Less chance of the gun fallling out expecialy when reaching down. 

That's what works for me
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 07:06:57 AM »
I use a straight hand strong side right holster as a cross draw to draw from my left side.  Main reason is cause its the only holster I have but it works and thats what matters.  I think its just personal preference.   Tell him to try it and see if he likes it  thats my advice.

Bristow Kid
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:58:02 AM »

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 10:22:03 PM »
Howdy

I have always worn a straight draw holster hanging with the pistol butt forward on my left hip. I just like the appearance better, no other reason than that. I particularly dislike the appearance of a pistol hanging from a cross draw holster almost directly under the shooter's belly. Reminds me too much of those stupid belly packs that tourists carry their valuables in.

Don't have to "twist" as much to keepf rom breaking the 170 when drawing cause the barrel is pointing down instead of beck. 

It may be true that you don't have to twist as much, but the motion of drawing from a straight hanging crossdraw holster is actually more awkward than drawing from a canted one. With it canted you simply pull straight across your body. With the straight hang you have to pull up and across. A straight hanging cross draw holster will almost always be slower because of this. And it is not comfortable to carry a straight draw holster directly in front on your belly. The holster hanging down impedes your motion when you walk. That is the other reason I wear my 7 1/2" Colt way over on my hip, the holster does not hang down and impede the motion of my leg. With a canted holster hanging in front of the belly you can walk more easily because the holster is canted out to the side and does interfere as much as a straight draw holster does when walking.

Despite all this, I much prefer to wear my second pistol slung all the way over on my hip, butt forward. It looks much better and there are much more important things than shooting fast. Looking good is one of them.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com