Author Topic: Anyone got a good Jerky recipe?  (Read 16405 times)

Offline Top Kick Ken

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oscar S. Johnson, GAR, My Great Grandfather.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Anyone got a good Jerky recipe?
« on: October 03, 2007, 09:59:57 PM »
Been looking for mine and can't find it...<Grrr>
Respectfully Submitted,

Top Kick Ken
Sergeant Major, Department of the Pacific
Grand Army of the Frontier

GAF #71
BOLD #943
SASS #47880L

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Anyone got a good Jerky recipe?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 08:24:55 AM »
Cut it into strips salt it a bit and dry it.  Or did you want mre modern versions?  If so, just add what spices you want to taste. ;)  Recipes are just how someone else does it to their taste. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 12:02:32 PM »
Here's one ya might enjoy. BTW, I haven't tried it.

Slim

Roadkill-Style Jerky (5 lbs.)
5 lbs. fresh road kill, preferably fresh
4 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon curing salt
2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons garlic granules
2 tablespoons onion powder
1/2 cup red-wine
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
3 cups cold water

1. Cut away as much fat/tallow as possible from the jerky meat.
2. Place the trimmed meat in a freezer for 2 or 3 hours, or until the meat is slightly frozen; remove from freezer.
3. Slice the meat into 1/4 to 3/8-inch thick slabs (at this point a protective glove is advised to help prevent accidents).
4. Slice the meat slabs into 1/4 to 3/8-inch thick strips.
5. Combine 5 lbs. of meat strips and all remaining ingredients in an ample-size, non-metallic brining vessel; stir/mix well.
6. Refrigerate mixture overnight (about 8 hours) to cure; continuing to stir occasionally.
7. Next day, spread the cured jerky strips evenly on drying racks. Do not rinse strips!
8. Dry at 150-170 degrees in oven, smoker or dehydrator (check occasionally for doneness) until jerky reaches desired degree of
dryness; 5-24 hours depending on drying method used.

NOTE: The jerky is ready to eat when there is very little moisture left on the inside of the strips and slightly sticky on the outside, yet still flexible enough to bend without snapping.
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:12:51 PM »

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 12:13:21 PM »
What are you going to use it for?  If you are looking to make something flavored like you buy at the store, it has soy sauce or worchsestershire sauce with liquid smoke and spices (lots of pepper, garlic etc.)   If you plan on packing it in somewhere as a dried meat to add to soups or somesuch, I would soak it in a highly reduced homemade beef stock (the more gelatinous the better) then salt, pepper and dry.   I have done this for a few backpacker friends and they love it.  (bag it with dried vegatables and dried aujus mix and you have a big pot of soup in a little bag).   Traditional is just salted and dried or just dried in the smoke of a fire.   

Offline Top Kick Ken

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oscar S. Johnson, GAR, My Great Grandfather.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 11:50:32 PM »
Thanks for the info, glad to get both the old and "Modern" recipes.  I was looking for the modern ones I guess...

BUTAfter some thoughtful reflection, I decided to kinda compare them to each other so I went ahead and worked with the traditional stuff first. 

I made two batches, the first one I tried some just drying and salting, that worked OK for me.  Then I tried the beef stock, salt and pepper and I liked that one better.  Both are not bad and it works well for augmenting a variety of other basics such as beans, hard bread, dried veggies and is good in soups and stews too.

The modern recipe is interesting and I am sure that it will be made this week... ;D 

Seems like they're all winners.

Thanks y'all!
Respectfully Submitted,

Top Kick Ken
Sergeant Major, Department of the Pacific
Grand Army of the Frontier

GAF #71
BOLD #943
SASS #47880L

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 07:23:54 PM »
Cowboys used to make jerky by hanging the strips over a barbed-wire fence. When my father was a boy in Oklahoma in the '20s he said the local Indians jerked meat by laying the strips on a tin roof in the sun. One old-timer said of outdoor jerky-making that you should always use plenty of black pepper. Asked if this was to improve the taste he said: "No, it's so you don't worry so much about what all the little black specks are."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 01:59:25 PM »
Black pepper also helps keep the flies off it.  Heck if most people really knew what the eat it would kill them. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 07:15:02 PM »
Black pepper also helps keep the flies off it.  Heck if most people really knew what the eat it would kill them. ;D
I thought black pepper was ta hide what the flies left "behind".  ::)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 03:26:53 AM »
I thought black pepper was ta hide what the flies left "behind"::)

Slim

Er ....  yep  :o :o :o
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline oscar

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 09:52:32 PM »
I have been smoking beef jery for over 20 years. you can of course make your own recipe or buy a pretty damn good on at the grocery store. A VERY good one I buy and use is HI Mountain Jerky cure. I get the butcher to cut me up 3 pounds of rump roast. I take it home and trim off absolutely all the fat. The thickness of the cut is just under 1/8th inch or so. I follow the recipe for 3 lbs of meat and add the preverbial, soy sauce and worshtershire sauce. I place it in a 2 gal. plastic bag and store in the fridge. I leave it in for about 3-5 days. I rotate the bag as often as I think of it. I have a wood fired smoker, an electric , and a dehydrator. The wood smoke and dehydrator does the best. The original blend is great for my young family as they do not like super spicy stuff. Some people will sprikle montreal seasoning on it. We do not. This is a modern recipe and I haver tried it. This is a great system that works pretty worry free.

if you have questions about beef jery, ask away and I will try to get you what your looking for. 

Oscar,
Oscar

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 01:52:12 AM »
Sounds yummy!  Now I'm hong-ry fer some jerky!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 08:30:09 PM »
Howdy
I use Deer meat that the butcher grinds up . I use a jerky cannon which looks like a caulking gun . I like this way it's real easy .
I try to use all dry ingredients makes drying time faster ,and less mess . I even found powdered smoke flavor . I use salt ,black pepper , red pepper , powdered smoke .  I am missing something , it's not bad just a touch bland . Looking to spice it up or just add more flavor . HELP HELP

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 02:25:37 PM »
Howdy
Went to Google and found a ton of recipes for using the ground meat and a jerky canon . Most of the recipes are fairly close in ingredients . I have picked up a bottle of curry seasoning to try ?

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 06:34:58 PM »
If it's not spicy enough try more spice. I like mine with salt & black pepper - the wife likes all that crap the store-bought kind has so for her I throw in some of everything I've got on the shelf. I find that ground meat & a caulking gun takes more spice than cut strips, but I do like the texture I get with the gun & they all get dry at about the same time.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 06:40:25 PM »
A kid here at work made some jerky a couple weeks ago, he's learning, he let it go to long in the de-hydrator.  No one could figure out why I liked it and ate so much of it.  I was holding it in my needle-nose pliers and steaming it over the hat steamer, workedgood too. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 06:54:31 PM »
Been looking for mine and can't find it...<Grrr>

As a matter of fact, I do
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 03:23:16 PM »
Howdy
My last batch was better almost perfect  . It seems that every batch is improving . At least I'm heading in the right direction .  ;D

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 03:40:23 PM »
I have tried lot's of way's to season the jerky. And liked most of them. But my local jerky tester's my Kid's and Grandkid's seem to like the tried and true ( real jerky recipe ) Salt and dried . Ifn we do it right it is chewable and bendable .Rowdy try making some jerky outa turkey ,I have done it quite often ,to me not better than our favorite deer jerky,but good .One thing you dont have a lota trimmin on a wild bird. These Rio's are pretty lean ,try hangin onta a tree limb all night in a West Texas wind while you sleep. Those dudes have a grip from He//. .....Dusty

1961MJS

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2015, 02:34:10 PM »
Hi

I have two recipes, one I like and one the kids like:

My local chain supermarket (Crest) will slice meat for you.  Number 27 is what I ask for.  27 What, I don't know.  Roughly 2 pounds of meat.  The Soy Sauce cuts the Worcester sauce.  No need to add salt with Worcester Sauce and Teriyaki. 

I bought two packages of Pot Roast and Oven Roast to make Jerky.  I made two batches, Worchester and Teriyaki.

2 cups of Worchester Sauce
1 cup of Soy Sauce
2 teaspoons of Black Pepper
3 squirts of Siracha this time

2.5 cups of Teriyaki Sauce
Juice of two limes
2 teaspoons of Black Pepper
1 squirt of Shiracha

Later

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 07:00:07 PM »
Readin' this thread got me all riled up for homemade jerky, so I made a batch last week using around 3# of round steak cut into squarish strips. Got started oven dryin it late, didn't get done until around 0100 hrs and then I had to get up at 0500 hrs and be to work at 0700 operating heavy equipment all day. Foundered on the stuff all day, by mid afternoon I sure could have used a nap. Very tasty and good!!!!!! ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com