Author Topic: getting into action shooting  (Read 16274 times)

gravedigger

getting into action shooting
« on: March 21, 2004, 04:02:51 PM »
Howdy guys, I'm new to the cowboy shooting word, would like to get involved but i would like to now what exactly i would need firearms,courses,etc.

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
Re: getting into action shooting
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 04:07:17 PM »

Howdy!

Welcome to town!

Follow this trail and get back to us with questions.

http://www.cascity.com/getstarted.htm
Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

gravedigger

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 04:23:22 PM »
Thanks for the info, for the single action revolvers i just purchased 2 RV with consecutive serial# in color case 44mag,for the rifle i have an old win94 in 44mag,need to get the coach shotgun, and the acceceries.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:49:03 PM »

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 04:26:13 PM »
Before you buy that shotgun, buy some good leather (holsters and belt).  Then head to your local club.  What parts are ya from?

The shotgun is the easiest thing to loan, and not many mind loaning their scatterguns out.  Sounds like you're ready to get started.  Welcome!

gravedigger

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2004, 04:31:37 PM »
I'm from montreal,Canada the holsteres i can get from brownells cowboy section, the only club that does cowboy shooting is in ontario which is 45minutes, the current clubs i'm member at just do ipsc, do i need to take a course.

Offline Will Pluggum

• Mesa, Arizona
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 57339, NRA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004, 06:12:22 PM »
Nope.  Just show up and  expect to meet the friendlest, most helpful people you would ever want to know.  On my recent  first trip to a CAS shoot I had no guns, was just expecting to watch.  The club director handed me a double holster rig with two colt saa's and said strap these on if you'ed like to shoot.  Then shared his Marlin rifle and double 12 guage AND provided ammo. (I squared that away with him after the shoot.)  If your already doing competitive shooting, you have the skills to participate.  It will take no time at all for you to get in the rhythem of things.  Just remember, CAS is about fun and sharing.  It's not about who's the best.
BTW....another source of affordable leather is www.cabelas.com  just type in holsters in the search window.  Check 'em out!
See ya around CAS City and welcome........Will Pluggum
N.R.A. ....the big posse' is keepin an eye on them bushwackers for us....JOIN UP!   www.nra.org

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2004, 06:23:56 PM »
Howdy, Gravedigger, and welcome to our cozy and warm fire. You are most welcome to sit a spell and palaver with us.  I had the privilege of shooting in the same posse with a couple of your countrymen this weekend here in Mississippi.  They hail from Ontario.  Nice folks and shoot pretty good too.  I agree, hold off on purchasing that shotgun.  Try out as many as you can before spending those hard-earned $$$$$.  My first match I borrowed a shotgun until I could decide.  Also, I agree about the leather.  Take your time and then clang that steel !!  Cheers, smiles, shoot straight and be SAFE.
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2004, 06:24:31 PM »
And yet another (and I think the best starter set)
http://www.sanpedrosaddlery.com/frames.htm?
Check out his Territorial Leather.  Good stuff and cheap.

Adios,

Offline Will Pluggum

• Mesa, Arizona
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 57339, NRA
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2004, 06:57:26 PM »
And yet another (and I think the best starter set)
http://www.sanpedrosaddlery.com/frames.htm?
Check out his Territorial Leather.  Good stuff and cheap.

Adios,

Just looked at San Pedro Saddlery, quality gear at not outragous prices.  I'm thinkin  Cabelos leathers will get you in the game but it won't be long before your want to  move up.  It might be better to spend more on the initial leather investment and be happy with it for longer.   However, if the budget is tight, the cabelo gear will get you on the stage. 
N.R.A. ....the big posse' is keepin an eye on them bushwackers for us....JOIN UP!   www.nra.org

gravedigger

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2004, 07:10:10 PM »
THanks for all the great info this is a great site, don't now if i can ask this question on this threand but would like to now the differens with the 45L colt & 45colt the being that i even own a ruger bisely in 45 colt can i shot the 45L colt, if not what is the differens besides the lenght.

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2004, 07:52:34 PM »
Gravedigger, difference is 'name' only.  A .45 Long Colt and a .45 Colt 'should' be the SAME.

Whoops, forgot about the leather, so I'm editing this.  San Pedro (Big Ed) are really good folks.  Also, try the links below for some nice stuff at reasonable prices, and tell them that the Paper Chaser sent you.

www.westernandwildlifewonders.com
mrbisley@aol.com  (send him an email)

SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2004, 09:58:27 AM »
Hey Paper Chaser.. Who is at the link?

and Rick (Mr Bisley) is great.

Offline Tombstone Runner SASS#54765

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2004, 06:10:59 AM »
Howdy All
Im new to this forum also, and am a new CAS shooter as well. I have my guns all ready to go, just waiting on weather and local club to get going. My take so far is that there are some real purists out there. Sure am looking forward to getting started!!
 ;D
"Did you bring some gold?"
"Nope!"
"Silver?"
"Jus Lead"

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2004, 06:43:19 AM »
Howdy and Welcome Tombstone Runner!

Yup! They's sum purists out there alright! But that doesn't have to be YOUR game, iffin yer not so inclined! In CAS they's sumpthin fer everyone! From the Hollywierd Cowboy right up to the most authentic lookin veteran of many a cattle drive. Howdy Doody shoots dressed as his namesake, right down to the red boots and holsters! ;D 'Nuther pard of mine, Lynn County Ranger looks so authentic that ya start wonderin' where the herd is when you see him! The game let's you decide where you want to be on that score! 8)
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Calamity Jane

• Top Active Citizen
    • Calamity Jane's
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2004, 07:03:58 AM »
Howdy Digger! Nice ta see nuther Canuck on the Board  ;D

Wavin howdy from Manitoba . . .

Offline Willie Wheelgun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2004, 11:26:55 PM »
CJ, I believe you have gun leather from a fellow cannuck.  He could not go wrong there. 
I think the next thing after six-guns and lever gun is how to put some life back into them boolits.  He should really look for loading advice now.  Like it was said, scatter guns and fodder are nothing compared to the hard lead stuff.  Now there is the decision about what to shoot.  He needs you CJ!
WW
Land of the free BECAUSE of the brave!
God Bless America
Soos Creek, Washington Territory

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com