Author Topic: Deer hunting for meat  (Read 14548 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Deer hunting for meat
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2004, 12:56:38 PM »
Jumps in yer car Tensleep call me about 40 miles outa Lincoln and I'll direct ya to the store.  If I ain't workin' I'll come one in.   ;D ;D  If ya can't do that, let me do some thinkin' here, how Hisstorically correct do you want to look.  I've done some reseach that would shock most on what a lot of cowboys looked like.   Don't get me wrong, there is nothin' wrong with the popular image and often it is right also to at least some extent.   Also I often work an outfit around what guns are gonna be carried.   I'm at home right now on my old poopter, but let me rattle Slim a bit and I'll see if he can post this picture for me.  I'll post the link but for some reason the links from the LOC go dead after a few days.

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?psbib:32:./temp/~ammem_vWoP:

Slim can you forgive me and post my favorite ranch foreman picture?  The one everyone tries ta tell me is a sodbuster. ;D  I promise I won't post no more recipes for roast Slim. :P :P  (If someone else can it would help afore the link goes stale)

Try this,

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/award98/nbhihtml/pshome.html

Do cowboys on the search and go to the second page,  click on skinnin' a brand on a maverick.

Must be somethin' with the Congress part of Library of Congress. 

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2004, 01:42:57 PM »
OK, the link to the Solomon Butcher collection always works. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Jose Grande

• Very Active Citizen
  • Sharps-Long Distance Operator
    • Jose's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2004, 12:33:14 AM »
I used to deer hunt a lot. Haven't been this year,yet. But I plan on making a hunt soon.The stalk is the big thing with me. The shot is very anti-climatic. If a friend didn't need the meat,I'd probably just put a round between the deer's feet & watch him jump. But slipping up on a Whitetail is hard to do & therefore a lot of fun.
He shouldn't ought'a decorated his saloon with my friend.
Well now.......yall gonna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie ?

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:09:13 PM »

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2004, 07:02:25 AM »
But slipping up on a Whitetail is hard to do & therefore a lot of fun.
Amen Josey!!! I hunt the last season here in Iowa, late December, early January. By then the deer have been pressured by the stick&string crowd and two shifts of shotgunners. They are MAJOR spooky by the time I take a crack at them with my muzzleloaders and handguns. To me the challange is to see how close I get before making my shot. My personal best has been five paces. ;D

(once got one with the muzzle less than two feet from his spine but that one don't count because I was in a tree stand)
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2004, 08:57:08 AM »
Now my Mother is really good at getting deer and not firing a shot, she got 6 last year.

She is retired, lives alone in the country and people just drop things by.  I gave her two this year.  All I have to do is skin them and hang'em and she does the rest. 

One in a while the game warden drops her off a whole deer, laying in the driveway, she just smiles, grabs the knifes and gets after it. :)
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2004, 12:02:52 PM »
I have no problem with others huntin' methods as long as they are leagal and you feel right about it.  I do get tired of the I killed it with a bow so I'm better than you folks. (Not all bow hunters by far, in fact a minority)

I use several methods, depending on the permit, weather and how many others are huntin' in my area.  My favorite to just plain fill the freezer would not work well in Iowa or other eastern states (don't get me on that rave)  I get a chilly windy day and walk the tops of the creeks, lookin' down inta the bends.  Well they most often spook which ain't all bad cause to drag on out means this ol' cripple has to hollor fer help. ;D

The come boilin' out like quail and head accross the bean and milo fields.  But if you don't shoot when they get 100-200 yards away, the stop and look over their should to see if I'm really after them.  I carry my 99 in 243 for this method.  I then try to hit the off shoulder with a 90 gr Barnes X bullet by going through about the last rib.  The run in a circle and fall over and I can drive the truck or 4 wheeler up and load them.  And yes the bullet exits.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2004, 04:43:47 PM »
Jumps in yer car Tensleep call me about 40 miles outa Lincoln and I'll direct ya to the store.  If I ain't workin' I'll come one in.   ;D ;D  If ya can't do that, let me do some thinkin' here, how Hisstorically correct do you want to look.  I've done some reseach that would shock most on what a lot of cowboys looked like.   Don't get me wrong, there is nothin' wrong with the popular image and often it is right also to at least some extent.   Also I often work an outfit around what guns are gonna be carried.   I'm at home right now on my old poopter, but let me rattle Slim a bit and I'll see if he can post this picture for me.  I'll post the link but for some reason the links from the LOC go dead after a few days.

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?psbib:32:./temp/~ammem_vWoP:

Slim can you forgive me and post my favorite ranch foreman picture?  The one everyone tries ta tell me is a sodbuster. ;D  I promise I won't post no more recipes for roast Slim. :P :P  (If someone else can it would help afore the link goes stale)

Try this,

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/award98/nbhihtml/pshome.html

Do cowboys on the search and go to the second page,  click on skinnin' a brand on a maverick.

Must be somethin' with the Congress part of Library of Congress. 

The link died. Del, can ya post it again?

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2004, 06:12:45 PM »
I'll send it ta you in the mornin' Slim since you went home.  I gotta talk to someone as to why those links change all the time. ???
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2004, 03:39:16 PM »
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com