Author Topic: 3:10 to Yuma  (Read 13946 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 3:10 to Yuma
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 08:00:07 PM »
Actually, if the were naming the actors for the roles they played according to their importance in the movie, the most interesting character for me was Charlie Prince. Besides the lure for a died-in-the-wool Schofield guy, I kept thinking about Charlie's blind allegiance to Ben Wade and what got him so totally twisted.

One could do a whole psych workup on the relationship between Wade and Prince ...

Makes me wonder if Prince is replacing a lost father figure with Wade; but Wade is almost Messianic in Prince's Eyes.

Both Crow and Bale put out superbe yeoman's performances, but as I left the theather, I found myself scratching my head about where Charlie Prince's head was at ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 02:59:46 PM »
I am reading SEVEN CLASSIC TALES, by Elmore Leonard.  It includes Three-Ten To Yuma

Is the movie anywhere close to the short story?

P.S.  First published DIME WESTERN MAGAZINE, March 1953  This volume is called THREE-TEN TO YUMA and other stories, 2004, Harper Collins, ISBN 978-0-06-112164-7
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 04:49:01 PM »
Elmore leonard writing westerns ... all I ever read from him was about the people living on the Florida Panhandle.

Looks like I have another book to add the the list now ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:20:15 PM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 05:41:56 PM »
The movies only bear a passing resemblance to the original "3:10 to Yuma" story.  There are far more differences than similarities.  I enjoyed the original story, but if it wasn't for the same names of some of the characters, I doubt that I would have realized it was the "same" story.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2010, 05:04:26 PM »
Elmore Leonard - a brilliant writer - started out writing westerns. He only moved from that genre because the bottom dropped out of the market for westerns. Among his novels are  -

The Bounty Hunters
The Law at Randado
Escape from Five Shadows
Last Stand at Saber River

I love western novels but I almost think (heresy!) that his modern-day novels are better. 'Maximum Bob' and 'Get Shorty' are genius.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2010, 05:28:24 PM »
Actually, one of the first books by Elmore Leonard was 'Striptease', and was a great read .... the movie was a travesty of the book, and only seemed to be an excuse to get as much T&A on the screen as possible.

But an very interesting read was in the same book of short stories as "3:10" ... I was reading a short story in the book called "The Captives" and kept getting this Deja Vu feeling ...

What I finally realized was that a movie called "The Tall T" was taken from "The Captives" all the way down to punctuation. Costarring such unknowns as Richard Boone and Maureen O'Sullivan, I think it was one of the best sleepers I ever watched.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tall_T

NCOWS #3403

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 06:40:04 PM »
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2010, 11:09:19 PM »
"Hombre," starring Paul Newman and Richard Boone, was also based on an Elmore Leonard story. That's why the dialogue crackles the way it does. He also wrote "Valdez is Coming," filmed with Burt Lancaster as star. Leonard's books are so dialogue-driven that they're easy to turn into scripts, unlike most novels.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com