Author Topic: VA FIRE and BRIMSTONE POSSE  (Read 1780036 times)

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: VA FIRE and BRIMSTONE POSSE
« Reply #4900 on: July 11, 2014, 08:32:43 PM »
Remember to wear a disguise when you shoot that heathen stuff.
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline Wildcat Will

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4901 on: July 12, 2014, 04:54:37 AM »
I really feel bad about that heathen powder issue so let me ask a question.  If I take a bullet with standard lube and load a case with BP, put a wonder wad over the powder and then the bullet on top; how bad will a derringer barrel foul?  I was thinking of doing that but worried the lube from the bullet wouild tend to cake in the barrel.  While accuracy with a derringer is not great I don't want to make it a smooth bore and wonder about cleaning it. 

Any thoughts?
Smoke makin', fire belching gunfighter of the VA Fire and Brimestone Posse    Blackpowder or No powder!

Courage is being scare as heck and still getting in the saddle.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #4902 on: July 12, 2014, 06:46:09 PM »
I really feel bad about that heathen powder issue so let me ask a question.  If I take a bullet with standard lube and load a case with BP, put a wonder wad over the powder and then the bullet on top; how bad will a derringer barrel foul?  I was thinking of doing that but worried the lube from the bullet wouild tend to cake in the barrel.  While accuracy with a derringer is not great I don't want to make it a smooth bore and wonder about cleaning it. 

Any thoughts?

In a derringer?

A inch and half of fouling isn't much. My .32 loads i use either round balls or poly lubed bullets very little fouling. My derringer quit working never replaced it.
Mathew 5.9

Advertising

« Reply #4903 on: Today at 09:25:50 AM »

Offline Wildcat Will

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4903 on: July 12, 2014, 07:04:20 PM »
LR after thinking about it I realized it was a bit anal retentive to be worried about fouling in the derringer.   :-\       I will get some .38 wonder wads and go to town. 
Smoke makin', fire belching gunfighter of the VA Fire and Brimestone Posse    Blackpowder or No powder!

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4904 on: July 13, 2014, 07:13:53 AM »
LR after thinking about it I realized it was a bit anal retentive to be worried about fouling in the derringer.   :-\       I will get some .38 wonder wads and go to town. 

Yep
Mathew 5.9

Offline Wildcat Will

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4905 on: July 13, 2014, 10:38:40 AM »
Been an interesting 24 hrs.  I was de-priming my stash of 45LC cases and the shell plate screw on my Square Deal B broke.  Pretty much puts the loader out of service.  I have two coming in along with 2 detent ball and springs.  I'll have extra parts on hand to prevent the down time (hopefully) in the future. 

Then looking at the .54 Hawkins I realized I needed to replace the drum and nipple assembly.  The nipple the knuckle head had on it was not the correct one and managed to mess up the drum threads.  So I sprayed it down with WD 40 and let it sit for a bit.  Then lo and behold the assembly came off.  Went out to Dixie gun works and I think I have an assembly that will work.  Got some Wonder Wads for the .38 while I was there. 

The .50 cal kit needs some work as well.  I'm going to have to do some work to get the stock to fit the furniture and then stain and finish the wood.  I'm also looking into getting the barrel browned.  I have a connection to the gunsmiths at Williamsburg.  Hope they can help me learn to do it or have it done. 

After all this work on the rifles I may have to think about keeping them rather than selling them.  Still plan to sell the brass framed Remmie.  It has never been fired so I'm thinking I should be able to find someone who would be interested in have one relatively cheap. 

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4906 on: July 13, 2014, 08:12:51 PM »
WW - busy weekend!

No shooting but lots of Home work,  Horse helping and reloading.

One the great side...since Friday - I reloaded 600 38 spl rounds.

Cleaned, deprimed and reprimed about 45 10 gauge shells

And one of my boxes of new 240 grain 44 bullets came...these will make my 44 Russian long cartridges that will help my 1866 short rifle sing better!

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Brizco-Z

• Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #29162
    • http://www.cascity.com/layoutimages/mycascityprofile.gif
  • Liked:
« Reply #4907 on: July 15, 2014, 04:59:17 PM »
To all My Good Pards Back East,

Had a ball, .36 cal, shooting with ya'll Saturday, good bunch to shoot with, a little hot, not just the guns.  Helped my tan, big time.  Will, good to see ya man and I know what you mean on tinkering on that Hawkins and the 50, you might get to the point you don't wanna let em go.  Sorry to hear too on the Sq. Deal, never heard of the plate breaking but, hey, Dillon is good on getting parts out to ya.

Hope to see ya'll all at Star City, if not sooner and I need to get my app in to Ronnie on the Sussex match, Oct 4th or so right??

Til later, Brizco
NRA  SASS - RO II, RATS, STORM & SCORRS
Old Scout & Order of the Arrow
DARKSIDER by Choice, VIRGINIAN by the Grace of God
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/Brizco-Z/

Offline Sod Buster

• My Barn, My Rules
  • Top Active Citizen
  • What happens in the Barn - Stays in the Barn
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #4908 on: July 15, 2014, 08:17:08 PM »
Hope to see ya'll all at Star City, if not sooner...

Speaking of Star City....I keep going to the webiste (www.bendofthetrail.com) and to the host club's site (www.roanokerifle.com) and there is NO APPLICATION posted yet.  This event is about a month away.  What is going on?  Have you seen any applications yet...and if so WHERE?

Thanks!
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4909 on: July 15, 2014, 08:29:57 PM »
SB send me your email address and I will send you an application

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Offline Sod Buster

• My Barn, My Rules
  • Top Active Citizen
  • What happens in the Barn - Stays in the Barn
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #4910 on: July 16, 2014, 02:42:17 PM »
SB send me your email address and I will send you an application

PR

PM sent with email address.
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #4911 on: July 17, 2014, 03:32:17 AM »

Any thoughts?
Take a baking sheet line it with newspaper or paper towel put it in the oven at 225 degrees with the smokiless lubed bullets on it and wait about 10 minutes check to see if all the lube is gone from the bullets. If not wait another 10 minutes. The news paper or paper towel will absorb the lube as it runs off of the bullets. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 118
« Reply #4912 on: July 17, 2014, 10:12:59 AM »
For derringer side match just fill the case with the correct amount of BP then top it off with a .36 cal round ball.then dip in in some wonder lube before you shoot them, works great and solves the fouling issue.
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline Wildcat Will

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4913 on: July 17, 2014, 06:07:08 PM »
thanks for all the great advice.  I'll let you know how it all works out. 

Offline Brizco-Z

• Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #29162
    • http://www.cascity.com/layoutimages/mycascityprofile.gif
  • Liked:
« Reply #4914 on: July 18, 2014, 10:13:20 AM »
Will,

I agree on that RB, the ones I use are from Hunter-Supply, they call them their 380 ACP RB.  They run about $12.00 for 100.  I have used them for my .38 Short S&W Top Breaks and they work great for short range (a few feet).  I do this with the .32's too and use the .310 RB.

Now these are not typical .36 cal. RB at .375 to .380 but instead, they're 0.356 so, no sizing, just drop them in.  For the 38 special, I put a Circle Fly .36 Wonder Wad under there and that dab of BB as we talked about last week, same concoction as 45's, except I use FFFG, just different caliber.

I'll try to bring some next time I see ya.

Brizco
NRA  SASS - RO II, RATS, STORM & SCORRS
Old Scout & Order of the Arrow
DARKSIDER by Choice, VIRGINIAN by the Grace of God
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/Brizco-Z/

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4915 on: July 26, 2014, 05:26:43 PM »
Who got to shoot?  I have been busy with Horsey duties and work....

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Offline Wildcat Will

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4916 on: July 27, 2014, 07:35:43 AM »
I had chores and stuff I wanted to work on. 

I've been working on the kit gun I got (the 50 cal rifle).  It has been a bit more challenging than I initially expected.  Not sure if it is the quality of the Traditions kit or the person who tried to do something with it.  The butt furnature simply did not fit flush to the butt stock.  I had to do some wood shaping to get that taken care of.  I also decided to drill as second hole for a second screw to hold the brass butt plate on better.  This also helped to close the small imperfections in the fitup. Also the brass what significantly narrower than the stock.  Needed to reshape to get it to blend a bit better.  Also needed to cut and shape the brass strap that goes on the bottom of the butt stock. 

I just put a dark walnut stain on the wood.  It is my plan to use several coats of Tung oil to finish it up.

The next step is determine what to do with the barrel.  I'm thinking of bluing it but I'm also considering leaving it white.  If I keep up with it I should be able to keep it looking nice.  I think with the dark wood and the brass furnature it might look good left white. 

I'm leaning toward keeping the rifles and only sale off the pistol.  LR I'm hesitant to put it at the place you provided as I don't really want to deal with shipping it.  Hoping someone local will be interested.  I'll bring it back out to the match next Saturday at Waverly. 

Hope to see ya'll there. 

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4917 on: July 27, 2014, 07:47:43 PM »
Shot at NVGC with the Pepper Mill Creek Gang.  Only 7 of us showed up  ???  Had to shoot the last two stages with a borrowed rifle, as my Thunderbolt choked.  Turns out all of the screws came loose  :-\   I need to bring a screwdriver with me now.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4918 on: July 28, 2014, 07:32:41 AM »
Too Hot?
Mathew 5.9

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4919 on: July 28, 2014, 07:57:46 AM »
Too Hot?

Forecast was for thunderstorms during the day.  Of course the weather folks didn't mention waaaaaaaaaay later in the day.  I rode my Spyder RT again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com