Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 09:57:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Gun Reviews (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Arcey)  |  Topic: remington cowboy with external hammers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: remington cowboy with external hammers  (Read 3179 times)
greenwood county cowboy
14 year old gun slick
Active citizen

« on: August 07, 2007, 11:55:31 am »

i was wonderin if that gun had fully functional external hammers??? i would consider getting one if they where fully functional

* spr220_ca-lg.jpg (8.16 KB, 300x76 - viewed 291 times.)
Silver Creek Slim
Buckaroo
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 01:50:25 pm »

Goto the following link. It states the second one on the list has functional hammers.
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/SPR_models/SPR220_side-by-side_specs.asp

Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!
Panhandle Slim
Active citizen

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 10:22:50 am »

I recently purchased a Remington SPR-220.  Yes, the external hammers are functional. Really sweet
little shotgun.  It comes with a choke wrench and a extra pair of chokes. Mine's still a bit stiff, but
I'm not overly concerned about that right now.  This shotgun is not made by Remington. It's a Baikal,
made in Russia, the same ones that (I believe) used to be imported by E.M.F some time ago, but
are now imported by Remington and backed by their warranty.  The overall quality is excellent, and
the wood to metal fit is a lot better than some other ones I've seen.  I'd definitely recommend one,
and seem to be a lot easier to get than a Stoegers.  The shop where I bought mine said they
couldn't get their hands on a Stoeger for another 6 months.  I had the SPR-220 in my hands in a
week.

The only thing that bugs me a little, is that the safety is automatically on after you break & reload.
I'm more used to auto & pump shotguns, so that will take a little getting used to.  I've heard there
is a "workaround" for that, but I'm not about to mess with the safety.

C. Erroll Madre, SASS #67854
Silver Creek Slim
Buckaroo
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 01:51:35 pm »

...used to be imported by E.M.F some time ago...
They were imported by EAA before Remington. I have two of the internal hammer version EAA's.

Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!
Four-Eyed Buck
Top Active Citizen

Tusco LongRiders,

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 02:56:09 pm »

What Slim said. They are fairly sturdy guns. Parts are available through EAA yet. There is slick up hints on Marauder's web site on the Irons pages............Buck Cool
    www.marauder.homestead.com/irons.html

I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....
Pitspitr
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 06:34:56 am »

I'd definitely recommend one,
and seem to be a lot easier to get than a Stoegers.  The shop where I bought mine said they
couldn't get their hands on a Stoeger for another 6 months. 
Really?

When I got my Stoeger I thought I wanted  the SPR-220 but had never handled one. The gun shop I ordered mine through didn't have either on hand and said they'd get both in so I could compare them. The Stoeger came in but the Spartain didn't so I bought the Stoeger. (I'm NOT saying what you said isn't correct now, just saying how it worked when I got mine.)

The Stoeger's ok and a good gun, but I sure wish I'd have gotten to look at the Spartain with it's real hammers

I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Colonel Commanding,
Dept. of the Missouri,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT CC SoM Marksman
RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Life; AZSA Life
Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

NCOWS Senator * Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 09:29:14 am »

I agree with you, the Stoeger is OK and a good gun...
I had one pre Benelli/Ubreti deal....

Out of the box ...it had some kinda mystery wood ( South American Hardwood ) I never like the light finish.
the extractor had machining burrs and needed cleaning up.
and was stiff to open but again a bit of polishing and it open nicely.
I also had to polish the chambers to get the hulls to drop out reliably.
No more than 30 or 40 minutes total labor though for it all.

The Baikal ( EAA Import ) pre Remington we had was very stiff , so much so you almost had to break it over your thigh.
It also would not say open all the way unless you held it, this problem was polished out along with the stiffness.
This thing is built like a tank it responded to polishing well , however it took a while longer (hard steel)
The chambers did not require any work really, but got some anyway.

The Russian gun had external hammers & a safety , the Brazilian Gun has internal hammers and an automatic safety.
For CAS I defeated the Auto function of the Stoeger safety...

Once the minor work was done both Guns worked fine...

Either will serve you quite well.... but the best testimonial for me is " would I buy another one " No probably not  Lips Sealed

... but I would buy another TTn Mule Hammered SXS

Panhandle Slim
Active citizen

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 01:54:39 pm »

They were imported by EAA before Remington. I have two of the internal hammer version EAA's.

Slim

Slim

Thank's for clearing that up.  I knew there was an E in there somewhere.

Slim

C. Erroll Madre, SASS #67854
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Gun Reviews (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Arcey)  |  Topic: remington cowboy with external hammers « previous next »
Jump to: