Author Topic: New to SASS, question on holsters  (Read 7319 times)

Offline ShakyJake

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New to SASS, question on holsters
« on: November 26, 2004, 06:38:50 AM »
A few years ago I heard about CAS and always wanted to try it.  I've had a lot of time on my hands lately, and have been researching the sport and equipment religiously.  I've gone against the advise of many folks on the CAS circuit, and bought two Uberti Cattleman and an entire outfit from WWMerc.  I've pretty much decided on the holster I want, but I'd like to leave myself room for future participation in Classic Cowboy or NCOWS events if I get the chance...  That brings me to my question (finally)...

I've read that no "Buscerado" holsters are allowed in some events...  So can I get a Mexican loop rig and have the holsters cut so they hang an inch or so lower than normal, as long as they are worn like the traditional holster and not through a cut in the belt like the buscerado?  I found the place that I'd like to get the holster from, and asked them if they thought it would violate any SASS rules, they said they didn't think so.  But my concern is NCOWS or using it for competition in Classic Cowboy category. 

I've pretty much decided on a Winchester Trails End 94 and a Stoeger SxS 12 hammerless 12 guage for my two rifles...  I think I've read that shotguns need hammers for some events, but it's been hard enough squirrelling money away and convincing the wife to let me "get my toys", so I'll have to make due with them for now.  I apologize if this information has been posted a thousand times already, but I haven't found the answers yet in my research.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Shaky Jake
Shaky Jake
NRA Life
SASS #63221

Big Hext Finnigan

Re: New to SASS, question on holsters
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 09:48:32 AM »
A few years ago I heard about CAS and always wanted to try it. I've had a lot of time on my hands lately, and have been researching the sport and equipment religiously. I've gone against the advise of many folks on the CAS circuit, and bought two Uberti Cattleman and an entire outfit from WWMerc. I've pretty much decided on the holster I want, but I'd like to leave myself room for future participation in Classic Cowboy or NCOWS events if I get the chance... That brings me to my question (finally)...

I've read that no "Buscerado" holsters are allowed in some events... So can I get a Mexican loop rig and have the holsters cut so they hang an inch or so lower than normal, as long as they are worn like the traditional holster and not through a cut in the belt like the buscerado? I found the place that I'd like to get the holster from, and asked them if they thought it would violate any SASS rules, they said they didn't think so. But my concern is NCOWS or using it for competition in Classic Cowboy category.

I've pretty much decided on a Winchester Trails End 94 and a Stoeger SxS 12 hammerless 12 guage for my two rifles... I think I've read that shotguns need hammers for some events, but it's been hard enough squirrelling money away and convincing the wife to let me "get my toys", so I'll have to make due with them for now. I apologize if this information has been posted a thousand times already, but I haven't found the answers yet in my research.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Shaky Jake

Howdy pard,
Welcome to the game!

Your choice of pistol is a good sound platform for the future in CAS, along many fronts.  I did not see any mention of cartridge choice, but you must use a large caliber for Classic.  A 38-40 or larger is required (the 38-40 uses a 40 caliber bullet).  If you intend to shoot Classic, you need to look at a different rifle and shotgun.  A 73 or earlier style is required for the rifle and the hammer must have exposed hammers or be a lever action.  The rifle will cost more than a Win94, but you can get a chinese SxS for well under $300.  Again, the rifle must be 40 caliber or bigger.  These are the rules for the class, and while I understand the cash squeeze of getting started, I strongly advise you against the W94.

Regarding the leather.  Classic requires that the holsters be of "traditional" design.  The pratical way determination has been made that the grip must not go lower than the top of the leather belt.  So the holsters may have a bit of drop, but not too much.  Make sure you use a reputable leather maker.  Ask here for recommendations!

WWMerc is an outstanding online source for clothing and just about anything they sell is a solid value.  I shop there regularly. 

NCOWS is a different deal than SASS/Classic.  They have slightly different rules, but if you follow the Classic rules, you will be ok for NCOWS, the opposite is not necissarily true.  Inquire in the NCOWS forum if you want more clarity on this issue.  You will have fun either place.  And we like the new guy questions... sometimes it's the only fresh stuff on these boards.

Happy day after Thanksgiving to y'all.

Offline ShakyJake

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 10:26:18 AM »
Thanks Big Hext.

I am going for .45LC for the pistols and rifle.  And CircleKB is the leather maker I'm leaning towards.  They have been both friendly and prompt with all of my endless strings of email.  Would having 4 shotgun loops on the belt make the rig ineligible for Classic?  It's my understanding that only the "sliders" are frowned upon for their un-authenticity (is that a word?).

The rifle and shotgun choices now seem to be more of the EAA Bounty Hunter II (12 guage) and maybe a Uberti 1873 carbine (also .45LC).  Although I suppose I'll have to start sacking away cash under the mattress for the latter.  I noticed the Henry Big Boy in .45LC can be had for under $600, but I don't know if it qualifies for the '73 or earlier category.  Now, if I could only find a pocket watch for under $50...

Shaky Jake
Shaky Jake
NRA Life
SASS #63221

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:45:10 PM »

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 10:54:44 AM »
Yer welcome..

I've never used Circle KB.  Seems like they've been around a bit and I've not heard any horror stories, but ask them for their delivery time and some referrals.  If you are getting custom work done, plan on it taking a while.
Slides are ok for Classic and currently are being used in NCOWS.  There is some "rumbling" that they may be officailly outlawed, but I can't truly comment either way.  NCOWS just finished a landmark meeting of the Congress and I expect there will be a complete report forthcoming.  If NCOWS is your primary concern, then you might want to wait a bit, to see the results of this meeting.

Frankly, four shotgun loops is a case of too few and too many.  You might look for a canvas shotgun belt, they are available for $50 and give you lots of flexibility.. I use mine often.  Your rifle choice is a good one, in fact, I think there is a fairly good deal on Gunbroker for a SRC.  I'd still suggest the cheap chinese SxS.  If you are going to spend the $300+ for a EAA, you might as well look at a Libery or TTN for another hundred.
If you haven't checked out the advertisement forums make sure you do, here, at TFS and SASSnet.com

Adios,

Offline ShakyJake

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2004, 12:09:16 AM »
Big Hext:

Thanks again for the advice on rifles, I definitely would like a nice SRC.  I have also answered my own question about the Henry Big Boy (not a genuine era design) and I will continue my research...

In the meantime, however, I've seen all the posts about Big Ed and his quality work, and have even emailed him with some product questions, so now I'm torn between his and the Circle KB rig.  Both seem to be great quality, but the questions I have are 1) is having a holster that is metal lined legal and 2) what is the advantage of having a lined holster (leather lined, with or without metal).  I imagine it speeds up your draw, and maybe makes the holster last longer?   

I know Big Ed can probably build anything I wanted, and from the sounds of it cheaper than most with no lack of quality, but before I commit to my final decision I suppose I need some things about lined holsters cleared up.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Shaky Jake
Shaky Jake
NRA Life
SASS #63221

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com