Author Topic: Ball backing away from wad and powder? - Caused cylinder to lock up.  (Read 5777 times)

Offline Sundance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Anyone got any suggestions?  I seem to have solved this by going around each ball with the loader using a light hammer action with loader against each ball.
Pistol .44 Remington Euroarms .451 balls, wads 24g 777.

Offline Cactus Cris

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Ball backing away from wad and powder? - Caused cylinder to lock up.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 11:46:36 PM »
First suggestion-  Go with .454 rnd ball.  2nd- if yer using 3f 777 go with 2f 777 and cut back to 20gr.     77 is a mite hotter than Pyro & real BP so ya have to cut back a tad.   Never did like to use 3f in my 44's.  No real reason to shoot a bear stop'n load in CAS.  Steel don't care how hard it gets hit.  Plus I can't see beating up my toys with real hot "proof" loads.
Darksider- Gpa of 5- Rabid  C&Br,   DGB, Scorrs, ACSA, RSCAS,TONTO RIMM,  SASS #2790, 31 & counting Clean match's

Offline Sundance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 04:52:44 PM »
Thanks Cactus, You have confirmed what I suspected about the size of balls I am using.  Gunshop I purchased the pistol from provided me with 454, but I found them a tad tight.  I telephoned main retailer Kranks, and they said I should use 451 (on their spec sheet)  Sticking with 454 from now on though.
What you said about the load I am using made me think and I checked 777 website they advise 20 - 25g in Remington .44's currently using 24g.  So going to knock my load down to 20g.  As you say why use such a hot load not doing the gun any good.
Many thanks again for the advice.

Advertising

Offline Singing Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 08:46:39 PM »
Kind of a rule of thumb on ball size most pards go with.  You should be getting a lead ring with each ball you ram home.  This ensures you're getting a tight fit and good seal.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 11:25:49 AM »
You need bigger balls!  ;D

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 12:59:43 PM »
You need bigger balls! 

Nah YOU might need em, Fox Creek. But the rest of us are , uh, well, very happy with our balls! ;) BTW, had dinner with Blacksmith Hoss and Grannie Annie last night...Hoss says "Howdy" to ya! :D

Sundance, I agree with the rest in that you should go with the .454s. You will probably get better accuracy with them. Even though the ring being shaved off makes them the same size once seated, the .454s will leave you with a longer bearing surface to engage the rifling when it enters the barrel.
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 10:38:00 PM »
Sundance,
If the .454 diameter balls don't solve your problem, there's another possible cause for ball creep (sounds like a venereal disease).  Sometimes there is a lip around the edge of the offending chamber(s) that shaves the lead from the ball as it is seated but the diameter of the chamber is actually larger (i.e. there is an overhang of metal from the machining of the cylinder face). You need to lightly chamfer the mouth of the chamber(s) to remove the offending metal. Excessive chamber beveling can increase the expulsion of gases form the cylinder gap. I have a SS Euroarms 1858 Remington that produces a lot of "heat" around my hand when shot whereas my Uberti Remmies don't do that. The Euroarms gun deposits much more powder residue on my hand than any other gun I shoot and has a definite gentle but obvious taper to the chamber mouths.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Sundance

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 05:49:33 PM »
You may have something there, I'm using a Euroarms Remington 1858 in stainless.  I haven't noticed powder residue on my hand though.  I purchased 200 .454 balls on Saturday.  I have also noticed when ramming the ball into the chamber when I pull rammer up it sometimes pulls ball up.  I think I have cured this by gently going around rammer with some fine emery paper taking off any sharp edges.
Thanks for the pointer going to examine the chambers carefully.
Whats your opinion of the Euroarms Remington compared to other manufactures?
Pietta seem very popular in the US.  I went for the Euroarms because I was informed that the finish and trigger were better than Pietta's version of the Remington.  Gunshop holding a second hand Uberti colt Navy .36 only 95 pounds in excellent condition.  Hopefully be able to pick it up when I can get time off work.
Regards, Sundance.

Offline J.D. Stawker

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 09:12:35 PM »
I like the Euroarms the best because they have a slightly smaller grip frame and I also believe they are somewhat lighter by an ounce or two. That combination makes them handle and point better for me.  I really can't tell much difference between the triggers on any of them of course i am not refined in that area.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 04:01:00 PM »
J D Stalker took the words right out of my mouth. The Piettas are beefy and therefore "clunkier" for me to wield. The Ubertis are better balanced than Piettas but the Euroarms is the lightest of all. Some folks with big hands (fingers) get whapped on the knuckle by the trigger guard under recoil by some Remmies. My Euroarms does not cut a ring of lead; it swages the ball. Smoothe up the rammer first to  keep it from pulling balls up out of the chambers. My SS Euroarms Remmie is a pretty old one so they may not bevel the chambers anymore. It does not pull balls up when rammed. For a nice full load I ram a LEE 200gr conical over 30gr FFFg. Nice stout load.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com