Author Topic: Carrying two different revolvers  (Read 7785 times)

Offline Billy Boles

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Carrying two different revolvers
« on: July 20, 2007, 05:06:05 AM »
 Howdy folks,
 well i just bought my first revolver, a Uberti 1871 open top early model navy grip with 5.5" barrel and 38 special, and i will get my second one as soon as my bank account recovers. I was wondering if anyone uses two different revolvers or is it more common to stick with one model.
 I'm still working on my persona, think it will be a pinkerton detective, so i thought a shoulder holster would be appropriate for one of my guns and with that in mind i would like to get a shorter barrel, although it would be the same calibre and another open top.
 I kind of have the idea that someone wearing a suit should have at least one revolver concealed in a shoulder rig, what are your thoughts/opinions on this? Should i just stick with the same model or go with what i am thinking?
 I'm also still pondering the  name that i will use, thinking of using my grandfathers name with a nickname thrown in. Here is the name i'm considering Bill "Specs" Boles. I wear glasses so i thought specs may work, although i don't know if "Specs" was in use during those times.
Andre
SASS #76864
Warthog

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Carrying two different revolvers
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 06:28:13 AM »
Good Day Andre,

It is definitely more common in SASS to shoot two of the same, but is that what they did in the 1880's? When I started for financial reasons I bought my guns separately.  I shot a Vaquero in .357 and a Colt Cowboy in 45 LC for a long time before getting the open top conversions.  I think folks back then would not be able to get two guns at one time, sort of like today!!??  But if one were found, taken, etc., you would shoot what you found.  The conversions though were much more popular at the time as the Army had all of the 73 SAA's.  At least that is true of the mid 1870's.  I would say shoot what you like.   

I am not sure about a shoulder holster.  I do not believe they are prohibited in SASS, but some RO'S may be nervous about it.  Be sure the angle doe not exceed the 30 degree maximum.  It sounds like a good persona you have going.  I wear contacts and clear Civil War specs, but you can get prescriptions for the CW era specs as well.  As the CW community says, nothing ruins a good impression than a pair of modern glasses.  I hope this helps.

Best Rgards,
Panhead Pete     

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 07:13:51 AM »
Hi Andre,  While it may be more common for SASS members to carry two of the same gun,  it  certainly wasnt all that common in the mid to late 1800s.  In fact, most common folk could barely afford one revolver much less two of the same kind.  Carrying two of the same kind is more of a hollywood creation than historical fact.  If you look at famous individuals from that time period such as Wes Hardin, Billy the kid, or Jesse James, they did carry more than one revolver, but they were not the same.  Even gun leather was often not the same for those individuals carrying more than one revolver. People pretty much picked up what they could afford when they could which resulted in many "mismatched" gun rigs.  So I agree with Pete shoot what you like and dont be concerned about having two of the same of anything as that was not how it actually was in the old west.  Safe shooting.

Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:24:52 AM »

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 12:55:28 PM »
I like the look of mismatched pistols because they seem more historically correct. I do, however like both pistols to feel the same so I don't have to worry about one shooting differently than the other. You can choose the same pistols and put different grips on them, have different finishes on them or different barrel lengths (within reason). My .38's are both Remington conversions, one has a drop-in cylinder and the other is a gated conversion. My 45's are both conversions, one is a 5 1/2" with wood grips and the other is a 6" with stag grips. They look very different but feel identical and shoot the same. I know of one pard that ordered a new set of holsters that fit and feel the same but don't look like the same holsters although they are made from the same pattern. Basically, have fun with it and do what you like. It'll be just fine.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 02:32:51 PM »
Out of four sets of revolvers, only two are the same length/model.  I don't have a problem as they basically somewhat similar. Difference in barrel length or hammer shape. What I do try and ensure is that they basically have close to the same trigger pulls...........Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 03:30:46 PM »
Everything the fellow's say above is quite true.
 Was along time reenactor before tried my hand at Western Acton Shooting years ago.
I went to the WA shoots to watch and see what they were using.
I noticed Rugers mostly , and Uberties ....
found a lightly used OMV Ruger in 45 & 7 1/2 ... I then ordered another, at a little gun ( independent owner) for an excellent price.
I shot these for years.
But the reenactor in me, kept shouting.... " like guns & Rugers are fine for the boys who have game !
History and the persona are more important to me. "

I have a 72 OT , I pair with my now converted 2nd Gen. 1860 Army I carried in reenacting and now sports Ivory Grips.
The 72 OT has 1 piece Walnut.  I use 45 Schofield in both, though the Army will chamber 45 Colt.
I do have a pair of Type 1 Richards, but they are only slightly different, front sight on the Kenny Howell is a dove tail & fixed German silver on the USPFA.

Lastly I have a newly acquired, Uberti forged frame factory conversion in 45 LC , it is different as night and day to the others.
I have not paired it as yet at a shoot, but I expect it will be with the 72 OT because of the 45 Schofield it can also chamber.

Follow your heart in what you like ( the OT is a great choice )
Might is suggest a Uberti 1860 Army cut to 2 1/2 inch. with an R&D Cylinder.

Granted it will be 45 but with 45 Cowboy special it will be about  the same felt recoil as your 38 Spcl.
5 1/2 OT.
Very cool, as a hide away for a Pinkerton , "ol Dallas Strodmeyer" carried one with his 72 OT.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 04:02:04 PM »
Read my profile........
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 08:56:56 PM »
To satisfy my love for cap 'n' balls, my persona comes out of the Civil War carrying either a '63 Remington Navy or a captured .36 Leech & Rigdon. First opportunity, my character bought one of those conversion cylinders for using fixed cartridges coming out on the market for the Remington. And the first ever cartridge gun I added in the decade after the CW was one of them new Open Tops.

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The Lone Gunman ...as himself
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 09:31:10 PM »
"But there is one thing I'd like to get straight. I punched cows from '71 on, and I never yet saw a cowboy with two guns. I mean two six-shooters. Wild Bill carried two guns and so did some of those other city marshals, like Bat Masterson, but they were professional gunmen themselves, not cowpunchers. The others that carried two guns were Wes Hardin and Bill Longley and Clay Allison and them desperadoes. But a cowboy with two guns is all movie stuff, and so is this business of a gun on each hip. The kind of fellows that did carry two would carry one in the scabbard and a hide-out gun down under their arm."

Teddy Blue Abbot in his book  We Pointed Them North
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com