Author Topic: Which would you buy? modern double action revolver  (Read 27771 times)

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Keep your pants and your powder dry.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Which would you buy? modern double action revolver
« on: July 08, 2007, 05:29:58 PM »
I am currently in the process of deciding which double-action revolver to buy, either a Tarus "judge" .45 LC/.410 or a Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 mag.  I am seeking opinions of both firearms.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 120
Re: Which would you buy? modern double action
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 07:15:56 PM »
It all depends on what you plan to do with it, Hunt, self defense, target shooting  or a combination of the three., tell us some more and I'm sure someone will give an opinion... ;D
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1664
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 08:13:13 PM »
   Greetings!

The Ruger would be the more practical, although I'd go for the Redhawk instead of the Super Redhawk. Excellent balance & quality {of course!}.
   However... The Taurus Judge .45Colt/.410~2-1/2" with the limited ed. 4"Bbl would have definite FUN value, as well as defence/snake use. Illegal in California, I've got Dad talked into one to fool with when I'm visiting. According to Taurus Customer Svc., there's a .410~3" chambered model coming out next year {2008}. That would be the more versatile of the two, but price may be a deciding factor; and the cost of the shorter chambered revolver may plummet. ?Quien Sabe? The .410 buckshot for defence & coyotes, #4 for rabbits, and #9 for snakes. All the revolver really should have is a screw-in TC-Contender choke to stop the spinning of the shot column; that would probably give you 15 - 20yds of useful pattern.
   The Taurus should indeed perform better than my cylinder length brass shotshells that I make up for my .45Colt revolvers. It also looks a hell of a lot better than that "Thunder Five"!

Hmmm... !

Be Well!

M.T.Marfield:.
                        7-8-07

Advertising

Re: Which would you buy? modern double action revolver
« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:58:53 PM »

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 10:18:39 PM »
I might Hog hunt with it, plink, and possible self-defence.  The appeal of the Tarus is that I am already set up to reload .45 LC, so I wouldn't have to buy any new dies or bullet moulds.  Also, it would make a great snake gun when out duck or deer hunting in Texas.  However, I have read and heard great things about the .44 Mag. cartridge and the Redhawk.  Thus I am just seeking opinions.
# 356056

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 10:20:28 PM »
Shop around for a Python or a Smith model 19.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 10:22:37 PM »
I have thought about a Python but they are a bit out of my price range.  The Smith Model 19, I don't know that much about.  Is that the older model?  (Dirty Harry gun?)
# 356056

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 10:26:10 PM »
The Model 19 is a K frame .357 magnum, You're thinking of the Model 29 which is a .44 magnum.
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline Johnny Reb

• Antique Arms Collector and Locator since 1978. Gunsmith as I have time for and yes I have repaired the action on several 1877 Colts.
  • Very Active Citizen
  • My dog Shone' (Shoshone' Sioux) and me (Rich)
    • My pastor Arnold Murray
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 06:47:22 AM »
I have owned several protection pieces but my favorite is my .500 S&W Mag. w/ 4" bbl.
Not to act like a big shot, but I'm just partial to it for it's handling and strength.
Johnny Reb

Offline boot strap jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 05:06:58 PM »
ok not a double action, but a tc encore. then get what barrel you want. around here it is eazy to find great used ones cheap

Offline SlimPigguns

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 09:08:03 AM »
I have had no problems with 2 DA Taurus revolvers a.44 and a .357 . - Pete - KEEP ON SHOOTING

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 12:53:42 PM »
Howdy

ANYTHING made by Smith & Wesson. OK I'm a die hard S&W fan and don't know how many of them I own.

I don't usually buy new stuff, just picked up still another M&P made in the 1940s on Saturday.

The Model 25 was made in either 45 Colt or 45 ACP (not interchangeable). Smith still has a 3" Model 25 chambered for 45 ACP in their catalog, but I doubt there are many around. The 45 Colt version is not made anymore, but I frequently see them in gun shows.

The Model 29 is the gun that started it all in 44 Mag. There are always plenty of them available on the used market because after less than one box of ammo some folks decide to sell them. Mine is nickel plated with a 5" barrel. Perfect. Lots of folks seem to like the Mountain Guns. Too new for me to have tried.

Plenty of 357 Magnum Model 19s on the used market, I see them all the time. I bought mine brand new around 1975. In the bigger N frame the Model 28, the Highway Patrolman is a no frills 357 in a big, hefty package. Great fun gun for either 38 Sp or 357. I can shoot my Model 28 all day with 357 Mag loads. My Model 19 tends to get a little bit uncomfortable after a while.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 04:19:32 PM »
A really good Model 1917 Smith would be a good choice, too.  .45 acp, fairly inexpensive, hell for strong, and reliable.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 10:01:05 PM »
I already own a couple of .357s a blackhawk and a EMF Great Western, but I was looking at big bore sixguns.  Ten years ago I lucked into a 1917 Colt in .45 ACP from my Dad.  He bought it being a WWI nut, but didn't like the way it shot.  I did and traded him an italian colt clone for it.  I might have to change modes and start looking for a Model 29.  Thanks for the tip Driftwood Johnson.
# 356056

Offline Johnny Reb

• Antique Arms Collector and Locator since 1978. Gunsmith as I have time for and yes I have repaired the action on several 1877 Colts.
  • Very Active Citizen
  • My dog Shone' (Shoshone' Sioux) and me (Rich)
    • My pastor Arnold Murray
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 11:08:25 PM »
I saved myself drom a car jacking with a 1917 S&W near midnight as I was leaving a gas station here in Riverside when I went into town a few years ago, before I got my .500 Mag.(I live in a rural area). He had a shaved head and tattoos all over his scalp and looked like a name, maybe his, on his neck (Spanish) in large Old English letters. He DID appear to have a weapon in his hand that he kept in a lowered part of his body.
I pulled mine on him as he was trying to get me out as I stopped to pull out in the street. Bold cuss he was. I'm glad I had that .45ACP (Auto Rim) on me ;) He just said "It's cool" (of all things) and then ran away.
Very few people were around, but not like anyone would have helped anyway.
Johnny Reb

Offline Lawful Larry

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 11:55:20 AM »
I have shot the Judge and am not impressed.  You have to get up real close and then the shot patten will then be effective.  When the 3" comes out, it may be different and be more effective. 

The .44 Mag in a Ruger, Red or Black Hawk would be a better move on your part.  First off these guns in this category are a very large to consider for personal carry.  For that get something more suited for that purpose.  Now that we have that out of the way, let us think of a good hunting field gun. 

The Ruger in a Super Redhawk or a Super Blackhawk Hunter would be very suitable.  I have the SBH in .45 Colt with a 2X Burris handgun scope.  I use this set up for deer hunting.

As with anything, these are all IMHO - of course!!!    ;)
Just Another Voice in the Crowd!

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 03:46:45 PM »
I realize that you've asked about DA firearms.  Well, I've had a Redhawk and 10 yrs. later, I'm STILL sorry I parted with it!  You can't go wrong with any S&Ws, either.  They're F-I-N-E - fine!  I have little experience with Taurus, 'cept for shooting one of my friend's guns.  I doubt you'd go wrong with ANY mentioned.  The Taurus shot great and was probably the most gun for the least money.

However, I feel that you're missing the BIG picture here.  Why not, since 45 Colt is specifically mentioned, stay with one of these - and Cowboy, too?!  Hunting, plinking or self defense ... it'll fill the bill.  This is the latest and greatest from the Olde West with all the newest technological advances in light and aiming goodies, too.

!!!!!

Whadd'dya think?   ;)  ;D

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 05:39:40 PM »
SHB,

Can't see it getting any better than that rig!! :o ;D ::) ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 05:46:45 PM »
Steel Horse, I think you are on to something there.  Not only do you have a flashlight but also a last line of defense weapon on man or beast.  I was looking at local toy stores today, and will more than likely be going with the .44 Mag. Ruger Super Redhawk.  I like the inclusion of the scope mounts. 
# 356056

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 09:07:14 PM »
Howdy!

Glad y'all liked it!  I wish I could take credit for the picture.

TT - The Super Redhawk is a good one, I just hate the look.  Personal opinion only.  Enjoy whatever ya choose.  You won't regret the big Ruger - unless ya try to hide it under yer jacket!  ::)  ;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 09:48:13 PM »
Howdy, Pard,

IMHO, I'd opt for the Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk in .44 Magnum.  I know there are folks who tell you that you can load a .45 LC up to equal the .44 Magnum (in velocity, but NOT in pressures!!!), but the advantage to the .44 Magnum case is that it is thicker and smaller in diameter than the .45 LC, which gives you a bit more strength margin. In addition, I'd bet you can find hunting loads in factory ammo in more places with the .44 Magnum.  In addition, you can shoot .44 Russian, .44 Colt's Modern, .44 Special and .44 Magnum, which gives you a heckofalot of ammo choices.

On the other hand, the Ruger is available in .454 Casull, which gives you six (yes, six) shots, and the option of shooting .45 LC, .45 Schofield, or even .45 Cowboy Special.  I suspect you'll shoot a LOT more of the lighter loads than the heavier ones.  And I'm NOT a lover of full-bore .454 loads in a double action gripframe revolver!  They are stout enough in a Freedom Arms M87!

The Ruger's are hellferstout!

If I were you, I'd try to find somebody who will let you shoot whatever gun you think you want.

Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com