Author Topic: New guy questions  (Read 7801 times)

Offline Varmint

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New guy questions
« on: June 19, 2007, 05:57:26 PM »
Greetings!  I'm a newby looking for some info.  Been shooting for a number of years and really enjoyed reading the many posts on CAS city.  I think it's great how you folks are preserving a piece of American history this way.  I'm mainly a American Revolution Reenactor and a hunter of various beasts.  Been looking at getting into single action shooting and possibly cowboy action shooting some time down the road.  There are a few obstacles in the way, mainly time with young kids still at home, but nothing that might not be overcome in the future.  My forebearers originally came to the Golden State in about 1850 during the Gold Rush which makes this era very appealing to me from a historical perspective.  One challenge I face is that it seems that all the clubs in the area do their shooting on sundays which from my religious affiliation doesn't work out too well.  Is this pretty much the norm for CAS or are there those clubs that do stuff on Saturday?  How family friendly is the hobby?  I've got a group of youngins and the Mrs. who wouldn't be so much into the shooting but might be into some other aspects.

I also have a question on a firearm, specifically making adjustments to single actions with fixed sights.  I've read some pretty crazy methods for moving the sights right and left some of which scare the pants off of a guy who looks at a firearm almost like a family member.  Some of the filing methods seem pretty tame though compared to a few places where I read online of people beating the barrel with an object.  I picked up an Taylor/Uberti Remington 1858 Conversion, mainly for plinkin but want to get it shooting strait.

I hope that all makes sense.  Thanks for taking the time to read this and share any info you can.  Have a good one!

Varmint

Offline Will Dearborn

• "Ramrod, wreckage, and ruin..."
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Faugh an Ballagh
    • My Place on myspace
  • Liked:
Re: New guy questions
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 10:15:08 PM »
You could always just see how far off your gun shoots and apply Kentucky windage.  When you know your gun, you'll be able to guage how much offset you need to use.  Like aim for the lower left corner to hit the bull, etc.

Or go for filing (if it shoots low) or a new, higher sight if it shoots high.

New Model Vaquero's are SUPPOSED to be adjusted to shoot POA (point of aim) when they come out of the box...  *shrug*

Long days and pleasant nights,
Will

ALSO:  You can use a Blackhawk or similar with adjustable sights...  but it'll be (according to SASS) a "Modern Revolver" and not a "Traditional".  Different category...but legal.

"First comes smiles; then comes lies.  Last is gunfire."
                                                -Roland of Gilead
V.P., Waverly Arts Council
Chairman, Gen. Jo Shelby's Iron Brigade Assn.
SASS #75873
RATS #359
SBSS #2032
SCORRS
GAF #467
Private, 7th and 30th Cons. Missouri Inf.  "Irish Brigade"

Offline Varmint

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 09:59:07 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  I don't mind doing the Kentucky windage so much for elevation or minor right/left adjustments.  I'll have to give her a try and see how it shoots and then go from there.  Thanks.

Varmint

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:38:41 PM »

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 10:45:20 AM »
I like the Uberti '58 because of the dovetailed front sight (I haven't seen the new conversions they sell so this may be different on them). You can adjust windage easily and if it shoots low, file the sight until it comes up where you want it. If you hose the sight, buy another one for ±$5.00 and start over. If it shoots high, which I've never seen a Uberti do, you could always add a little to the top of it or shoot lighter bullets. All the ones I've shot were tack-nailers. The design is a good one. I shoot them as my main match pistols and they perform flawlessly. You should enjoy that one for quite a while.

As to family friendly, we have women and kids shooting in our club. It works out great. It really is a family sport.

Oh, yeah, there are clubs that shoot on Saturdays, too. The Cowboy Chronicle you get as a member of SASS will list all the clubs and when they shoot.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 10:38:47 AM »
Varmint

You'll really like the new Remy ,I also have one.
The dovetailed sight Will mentioned as you know is present.
I got mine from Tuolumne Lawman it is the gun he tested for his article.
I don't know if he adjusted it in his range tests...but it shoots very well to POA.

Here in Florida there are a few Sat. meets but most are on Sunday.
There are a few wives showing up and some shoot.
There is not much for wee little ones... But these are local match club events.
More teens are showing though.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 10:50:40 AM »
If the windage is off you have a gunsmith turn the barrel to correct it.  Filing the front site adjusts elevation. Different loads shoot different as well with lighter loads generally dropping below POA and heavier moving up.

Women and children are very welcome.  We have some ladies that don't care to shoot but do like to dress up and come to the matches anyway.  Banquets and formal attire are popular with non-shooting spouses as well.  Don't be surprised though if once you get them to attend a couple of matches they get interested in shooting.

I'm don't know where you are from but around here we have as many matches on Saturday as we do Sunday and can shoot both days of every weekend with no more than a two hours drive.

Welcome to CAS City!  :)
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 08:31:10 PM »
Varmint;  I take it that you live in Californ-I-A.  I.m sure there is plenty of Saturday action nearby. (I'm guessing,'cause I live about 1,000 miles North  of you!)

If you want to portray, accurately, the goldrush era, why don't you start with an 1851 Navy revolver?  If you want to stay with cartridges, and still stay "historical", go  to a conversion.  The most popular is the Remington New Model Army, using an R&D conversion cylinder (or Kirst).

If you want absolute simplicity and reliability, go for the RUGER New Vaquero in .38/357 or .45 Long Colt.  Everybody needs a Ruger, cause they almost never break down or wear out.  You will always find it useful as a practise revolver, or for practical carry on wilderness trips.

Welcome to Cowboy Action Shooting!   

P.S;  The only revolver I recommend without reservation, is the RUGER. For anything else, attend a CAS club and watch & listen.  Only after you have decided where you want to go, decide on your battery.  In my opinion, every shooter NEEDS a Ruger.  The only two reasons to sell one are; You are bankrupt, or you have found another Ruger that suits you better!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 08:32:39 AM »
  The only two reasons to sell one are; You are bankrupt, or you have found another Ruger that suits you better!

You call that a good reason to sell a Ruger?!  ;) :D
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 09:14:23 AM »
Maybe there is a reason that I own SIX of them!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Varmint

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 11:31:13 AM »
Thanks everyone for all yer help and input.  Sure are some friendly folks here at CAS City.

Varmint

Offline BlaiseNSaddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 01:13:57 PM »
It depends, check around. 

You might be surprised, a lot us watched first and then got involved with the shooting.  There is also Buckaroo/Buckarette class for younger ones as well (though I am not sure how young they are).

I personally have loved my Rugers.  Right now working with some 50th anniversary models which have adjustable sights.  In 49er class anyway so it makes little difference whether fixed or not since they are allowed for SASS. 

If you would like that 1850s era, I would suggest a 1851 Navy.  I have one complete with Kirst breech conversion.  Good pointing and the recoil with 38 Long Colt or mild 38 special loads is not bad.   

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 06:18:25 PM »
Ruger? Now why would someone buy and/or shoot such a weapon?
1. Darn near indestructable.
2. Very affordable.
3. The 21st century's answer to the 19th C's Colt.
4. Accurate
5. And I really,really, really wouln't buy another type of revolver if I had a choice.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 09:14:57 AM »
Howdy Varmint & Co.,

I have a Vaquero in 38 spl/.357.  It is everything everyone here says it is.  It is THE best revolver I own.  HOWEVER, if reenacting is as important to you as shooting, look at the 51' Navy, 51 Navy conversion (really an early 1870's type) or the 58 Remmy's.  I went from the Ruger to a Millenium that I brass blacked and a Colt Cowboy to a pair of 51 Conversions.  I also split rifle duties with a Uberti 73 Winchester and an 1865 Spencer in 56-50.  YES FOLKS, THE SPENCER is very slow to reload on the clock!!  I have yet to finish a stage with the 56-50 and NOT have someone tell me loved seeing that rifle in action.  So the choice is, how period correct you choose to be?  It seems minor but as you delve deeper into reenacting you will want to see that firing pin on the hammer as you reload!!  Seems silly, but that was where I ended up.  With your past being involved in reenacting, I think you will want to go in that direction.

I Humbly Remain,

Panhead Pete

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 08:12:24 PM »
Panhead Pete... has hit a nerve  & a point .... :)

I believe he is dead on.....

I have reenacted since 1976... 75% CW but 1812 & Tex/Mex along with Rev War and F & I War mixed in....
All or at least 99% mounted... There were some CW Navy events.

years ago I decided to give SASS a try ,so I bought what most everybody used Rugers OMV, they are Plain as vanilla and just as good ...
& Rugged as a rock !

Panhead said "...Seems silly, but that was where I ended up.  With your past being involved in reenacting, I think you will want to go in that direction. ... "

I have to say ...history was my calling,  so I sold the OMV's
All my western guns are Conversions or OT's along with my 2nd Gen BP Colts, are what interest me.

Everybody should own a Ruger or 2 at some point  .... but these days I go back to my roots, so what Panhead said rings true for me also....

I went full circle .. and found what I liked first,  I like best .... Grab yourself  a 51 or 60 conversion or the New Remy Conversion, and enjoy the history.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2007, 09:41:15 PM »
I too have re-enacted CW (Artillery) 1812 (Tennessee Volunteers) at the Battle of New Orleans; and buckskinning
 Then I heard about CASS and like you purchased two OM Vaqueros (over time). But there the similarly ends.
 I still have my OM Vaqueros and now that I've finally learned to shoot them, I don't plan on selling, tradeing them any time at all. They're not be period but they suit this wannabe cowboy just fine.

"N thas th truit!"
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com